|“||You don't know about this dinosaur, you don't know what it was like, but I certainly do. He is close by, and he watches over all of us. I'm not sure where he hides, but he can see us, and if we ever become helpless and desperate, the dinosaur will come back to us and save us from tragedy and disaster, just as it did before on that doomed World War II battlefield we once faced.||„|
— Masukichi Ikehata (Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah)
- 1 Appearance
- 2 History
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Comics
- 5 Video Games
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Roar
- 8 In Other Languages
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
- 11 Comments
The Godzillasaurus is different from other theropods because its posture is more upright like a human, and it drags its tail on the ground, much like older theropod reconstructions. At 12 meters in height, it is much larger than any other theropod species, probably due to its erect posture. It has a smaller head than a real theropod, and has a double-row of teeth, much like a shark. The Godzillasaurus species is also different from other theropod dinosaurs due to the fact that it possesses a second, or "sacral", brain located in its hip to control lower body functions, like how the Stegosaurus was mistaken to have had a second brain. Godzillasaurus is also shown to possess tear ducts when Baby Godzilla is seen crying when Azusa Gojo is forced to leave him behind.
As is shown in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, Godzillasauruses seem to be telepathic, as Baby Godzilla can contact his father and Rodan telepathically. Since at this point Baby Godzilla had not yet been mutated, it is possible that all Godzillasauruses naturally have this ability. Professor Omae suggests that it is possible Godzillasauruses acted as brood parasites, laying their eggs in the nests of other species, due to the presence of Baby Godzilla's egg in a Pteranodon nest.
HistoryLagos Island in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and was attacked by American soldiers during World War II. This was observed by some of the Futurians and a group of people from the present that had traveled back in time to remove Godzilla from history. The Godzillasaurus fought off the Americans, seemingly 'defending' a bastion of Japanese soldiers who were on the island at the time, but was gravely wounded after multiple naval ships bombarded it with shells and artillery. Badly injured, the Godzillasaurus fell to the ground. After the Japanese soldiers paid their respects and left, the Futurians transported the injured dinosaur to the Bering Sea, thinking that they had successfully altered the present day. However, this was not to be the case, as a nuclear submarine crash in the Bering Sea provided the energy to turn the Godzillasaurus into Godzilla, thus preventing the timeline from changing.
- Main article: Godzilla Junior.
Another Godzillasaurus, named Baby Godzilla, was found in Rodan's nest on Adonoa Island in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. This infant Godzillasaurus was raised by U.N.G.C.C. scientists and imprinted on a scientist named Azusa Gojo as its mother, but was adopted by Godzilla after Azusa was forced to part ways with him. Baby Godzilla lived with his new adopted father on Birth Island, where he was exposed to his radiation and mutated into Little Godzilla. As a toddler, Little Godzilla was already much larger than the seemingly adult Godzillasaurus found on Lagos Island. After living on the island for a year, Little Godzilla was exposed to a massive dose of radiation when uranium deposits on Birth Island ignited and exploded, mutating him into a sub-adult Godzilla dubbed Godzilla Junior. Godzilla Junior attempted to return to his birthplace on Adonoa Island, but was lured to Tokyo so that Godzilla would follow and battle the monster Destoroyah. Eventually, Junior was killed by Destoroyah, and the grieving Godzilla fought and killed Destoroyah with the help of G-Force. When Godzilla died of a catastrophic meltdown in his heart, the radiation he released was absorbed by Junior, reviving him and transforming him into a new Godzilla.
Despite its relatively small size, the Godzillasaurus that would eventually become Godzilla displayed a high amount of strength and endurance. Small arm's fire and even rocket launchers were unable to damage him, and only barrages from several battleships were the only things strong enough to draw blood and weaken it.
After Doctor Oniyama, with the assistance of his past self, revived Anguirus as an Ankylosaurus, he forcibly-devolved Godzilla into a Godzillasaurus using KIDS. After Godzilla fought the Ankylosaur, Oniyama mutated it into the much larger Anguirus, who leapt into the air and crushed the Godzillasaurus beneath him. For a few moments, all seemed lost, until the devolution wore off and Godzilla re-emerged from the ground.
- Godzilla, King of the Monsters (Game Boy)
- Godzilla Movie Studio Tour
- Godzilla (PlayStation 3 / PlayStation 4) [Kaiju Guide]
- Main article: Godzilla (2014 video game)/Kaiju Guide#Godzillasaurus.
- Main article: Godzillasaurus/Gallery.
In Other Languages
- Serbian: Godzilasaurus / Годзиласаурус
- Spanish: Godzillasaurio
- Russian: Годзиллазавр
- Portuguese: Godzillassauro
- Kenichiro Terasawa, the main character of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, one of Terasawa's theories about how Godzilla came to be was that he was mutated from a whale, or kujira, that had Godzilla's dorsal plates.
- An actual species of dinosaur was named the Gojirasaurus, in homage to Godzilla himself. However, this "Godzillasaurus" bears only a slight resemblance to its movie counterpart, and is a dubious genus - which means that it may be a different type of dinosaur altogether.
- According to an interview with special effects designer Shinji Nishikawa, Godzilla was originally written to be a Tyrannosaurus prior to being mutated. Nishikawa, however, said he couldn't accept the idea that Godzilla was mutated from a Tyrannosaurus, so he came up with the idea for the Godzillasaurus and submitted concept art of it to Toho, who put it into the script for Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.
- In Legendary Pictures' Godzilla, Godzillas were giant amphibious reptiles that evolved when Earth had ten times more radiation than it has today.
- In the English dub of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, Baby Godzilla is called a "Godzillasaur" rather than a Godzillasaurus.
This is a list of references for Godzillasaurus. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 12 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.