Pteranodon is an extinct genus of large pterosaur that lived during the late Cretaceous period. It is one of the most famous and well-known prehistoric reptiles from the time of the dinosaurs. This genus of pterosaur has been featured in numerous science-fiction and giant monster films, and is the basis for the popular Toho kaiju, Rodan.
After defeating the cave serpent, King Kong followed Ann Darrow onto the cliff outside his lair, where she was attacked by a pteranodon, which tried to carry her away. Kong attacked the pterosaur, freeing Ann. Jack Driscoll reached the cliff and rescued Ann while Kong battled the pteranodon. After killing the pteranodon, Kong tried to pull Ann and Jack back up by the vine they were climbing down, only for them to jump into the river below and escape unharmed.
A Pteranodon appears in the pilot episode, swooping in to catch an armadillo.
A flock of large Pteranodon were some of the creatures discovered during the Polar-Borer expedition. They were among the first surviving animals to be observed by the expedition crew.
A scientific team led by Hiroshi Omae was called to the irradiated Adonoa Island in the Bering Sea after a group of Russian petroleum surveyors discovered a Pteranodon skeleton along with a nest containing what appeared to be an intact Pteranodon egg and one that had had hatched. When the scientists attempted to bring the intact egg back to Japan, the creature that hatched from the other egg, the irradiated and gigantic Pteranodon known as Rodan, attacked them. When Godzilla came ashore on the island and battled Rodan, the scientists were able to escape with the egg, which turned out to hold a baby Godzillasaurus instead of a Pteranodon.
- King Kong (1933)
- Rodan (Mentioned, portrait)
- The King Kong Show
- The Last Dinosaur
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (Fossilized remains, mentioned)
- Kong: King of the Apes
A portrait of a Pteranodon is compared to a photograph of Rodan's wing
- The kaiju Rodan is stated to be an irradiated pteranodon. Gyaos' design also appears to be influenced by Pteranodon and other Pterosaurs.
- In an early draft of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, two Pteranodons would be featured in a scene set on Adonoa Island, where they battle Mechagodzilla. The female is killed, but the male is knocked unconscious and exposed to radiation and becomes Rodan. This draft also featured a flashback to the Cretaceous showing a Pteranodon battling a Godzillasaurus. The finished draft of the film features a Pteranodon skeleton and a robotic imitation, two remnants of this scrapped plot device.
- In the the 2005 remake of King Kong, the Pteranodon is replaced by a swarm of Terapusmordax, giant man-eating bat creatures.
Showing 1 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.