|This article concerns an upcoming subject, and will be updated with new information as it arises.|
Hourglass is the working title of an upcoming television series produced by Legendary Television which will be released to the Apple TV+ streaming service. Set in the continuity of the MonsterVerse between the events of the films Godzilla and Godzilla: King of the Monsters, the series follows members of the organization Monarch as they encounter Godzilla and other Titans.
Description[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
The series was announced by Apple on January 20, 2022. Produced by Legendary Television with executive production from co-creators Chris Black and Matt Fraction, Safehouse Pictures, and Toho, it will be set after the events of 2014's Godzilla.
Four days later on January 24, Charles Murphy of Murphy's Multiverse reported that the series had been given the title "Hourglass" and was scheduled to begin production that May. This proved true with the release of issue 1283 of Production Weekly on January 27, which confirmed its working title as Hourglass as well as its planned production period. The publication also revealed additional producers and Chris Black and Matt Fraction's role as writers, among other staff. Issue 1286 of Production Weekly, released on February 17, confirmed that the series would be shooting in Vancouver, Tokyo, and Hawaii, and gave a new title of "Monarch".
On April 14, issue #1294 of Production Weekly reported Matt Shakman as director. On May 5, issue #1297 reported that Kurt Russell and Wyatt Russell were rumored for the roles of "Old Lee Shaw" and "Young Lee Shaw", respectively. Variety reported on May 19 that Shakman would only be directing the series' first two episodes as well as executive producing. Production Weekly dropped the Monarch title with issue #1305 on June 30, instead switching to "Godzilla and the Titans." The same issue reported Anna Sawai, Ren Watabe, Kiersey Clemons, Joe Tippett, and Elisa Lasowski as cast members; this was corroborated by Deadline the same day, though they maintained that the series was still untitled.
Production[edit | edit source]
The series is set to film in Vancouver, Tokyo, and Hawaii. A shooting period was initially set for between May 9 and November 16, 2022, with the British Columbia unit to begin on May 26 and conclude on October 18. However, the BC unit's shooting period was later moved back to between July 6 and December 19. The BC unit's wrap date was then moved up to December 14 and again to December 9, with shooting finally beginning on June 27. The series' Hawaii unit is expected to begin filming in December of 2022.
Staff[edit | edit source]
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Matt Shakman (episodes 1-2)
- Written by Chris Black, Matt Fraction
- Executive producers Chris Black, Matt Fraction, Joby Harold, Tory Tunnell, Hiro Matsuoka, Takemasa Arita, Matt Schwartz, Andrew Colville, Nick Pepper, Matt Shakman
- Line producer Brad Van Arragon
- Production manager Lauren Stope
- Production coordinator Mara Perez
- Casting directors Ronna Kress, Yoko Narahashi, Corinne Clark, Jennifer Page
Cast[edit | edit source]
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Anna Sawai as Cate
- Ren Watabe as Kentaro
- Kiersey Clemons as May
- Joe Tippett as Tim
- Elisa Lasowski as Duvall
- Kurt Russell
- Wyatt Russell
- Mari Yamamoto
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Weapons, vehicles, races, and organizations[edit | edit source]
Alternate titles[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This will be the first live action Godzilla television series in over two decades, after Godzilla TV which concluded in 2000. Godziban, while live action, is not televised.
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for Hourglass. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- ""MONARCH" (w/t "HOURGLASS") Series / Apple TV+". Production Weekly. No. 1286. Production Weekly. 17 February 2022.
- ""MONARCH" (w/t "HOURGLASS") Series / Apple TV+". Production Weekly. No. 1287. Production Weekly. 24 February 2022.
- ""UNTITLED GODZILLA AND TITANS PROJECT" (w/t "HOURGLASS") Series / Apple TV+". No. 1283. Production Weekly. 27 January 2022. Cite magazine requires
- ""MONARCH" Series / Apple TV+". Production Weekly. No. 1294. Production Weekly. 14 April 2022.
- ""GODZILLA AND THE TITANS" Series / Apple TV+". Production Weekly. No. 1305. Production Weekly. 30 June 2022.
- ""MONARCH" Series / Apple TV+". Production Weekly. No. 1289. Production Weekly. 10 March 2022.
- ""GODZILLA AND THE TITANS" Series / Apple TV+". Production Weekly. No. 1306. Production Weekly. 7 July 2022.