Megan is a 2018 short fan film produced by Decipher Entertainment, Eternal City Productions, and Gradient Effects. Filmed prior to the release of The Cloverfield Paradox, it connects the events of Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane. Prolific visual effects supervisor Greg Strasz led the project, which was uploaded to YouTube on August 8, 2018.
A photo of the extraterrestrial Black Knight Satellite, which has watched humanity for centuries, is released to the public. A tranquil day in Los Angeles is interrupted by emergency sirens as a trio of helicopters soar overhead. Aboard one is a white-suited operative, Megan, and Yoshida, communicating with another party on his laptop who warns of a disastrous red flash. As they and the crew equip gas masks, lightning from a sudden storm strikes their helicopter, causing it to crash.
Megan, seemingly the only survivor, kicks her way out of the helicopter and faces a landscape shrouded in gas. Yoshida steps into view and removes her mask, as the "nectar" works, and states that the soldiers have been taken. One of his associates steps out of a car, but can only tell Yoshida "it's time" before a massive creature crushes him. A spaceship dwarfing downtown Los Angeles hovers above the city as smaller craft continue to spray gas.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Greg Strasz
- Story by Giuseppe Mercadante, Greg Strasz, Jean de Meuron
- Screenplay by Giuseppe Mercadante, Greg Strasz
- Produced by Jean de Meuron, Giuseppe Mercadante, Olcun Tan
- Executive producers Nicolas Emiliani, Greg Strasz
- Music by Iris Wallner
- Cinematography by Markus Förderer
- Edited by Zimo Huang
- Production design by Carol Winstead Wood
- Assistant director Lorraine Carvalho
- Visual effects supervisors Olcun Tan, Greg Strasz
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Matilda Lutz as Megan Paulson
- Garret T. Sato as Mr. Yoshida
- Ralf Moeller as The Driver
- Yuki Sakamoto as Akiko
- T.J. Misawa as Kenji
- Edwin Modlin II as Captain Weaver
- Paolo Bernardini as LT. James Bennett
- Kevin LaRosa Jr. as Pilot Goldman
- David Villada as Co-Pilot Allegro
- Michael Baszler as Gunner Morgan
- Cameron McHarg as SSGT. Cameron
- Arthur Napiontek as SGT. "Sniper" Jones
- Isaac Montgomery as SGT. Rainer
- Hovo Vardanian as SGT. Napier
- Matthew Conner as PO2 Murphy
Aliens, Vehicles and Races
Gradient Effects produced Megan to test its ability to create visual effects in 8K resolution. According to The Hollywood Reporter, it also sought investors to develop the short into a feature-length film. In paying homage to the Cloverfield films, director Greg Strasz saw Megan as the logical protagonist: a key character in 10 Cloverfield Lane who is never seen.
Megan was filmed over the course of three days in August 2017. Helinet Aviation Services provided the Black Hawk helicopter. It was shot against an LED wall, which Strasz found more effective than a greenscreen, as it produced more authentic reflections and reactions from the actors. During post-production, Gradient repurposed CG helicopters from The Last Ship, lightning from Thor: Ragnarok, and spores from The Revenant and Stranger Things.
- References to Cloverfield, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and their alternate reality games pervade the film:
- The text which opens the film suggests that the aliens from 10 Cloverfield Lane invaded Earth in reaction to Tagruato accidentally awakening Clover prior to the events of Cloverfield, a monster they believed was "hidden forever." In an email to YouTuber Inside a Mind, producer and screenwriter Giuseppe Mercadante explained that Clover hatched prematurely from a cluster of eggs laid by the aliens.
- Megan is the name of Howard Stambler's estranged daughter in 10 Cloverfield Lane. Yoshida alludes to his obsession with doomsday when he says, "The old man wasn't that crazy after all."
- Ganu Yoshida is the mysterious CEO of Tagruato.
- Megan slurps a Slusho on the helicopter, a frozen drink made by a Tagruato subsidiary and featured in every Cloverfield film. Seabed Nectar, a key ingredient in Slusho and the substance Tagruato was drilling for when it awakened Clover, grants her, Yoshida, and his associate immunity to the aliens' gas.
- The person Yoshida is communicating with on the laptop reports a red flash, the same phenomenon Emmett DeWitt witnessed as the alien invasion in 10 Cloverfield Lane began. Their messages are encrypted by Hatsui, a satellite launched by Tagruato subsidiary Bold Futura.
- Though the monster at the end of the film resembles Clover, it is an original creation, shown in full in an Entertainment Weekly article.
- The boy on the beach is playing with a NECA Shin Godzilla figure and a Billiken Rhedosaurus figure. Cloverfield included a frame of the Rhedosaurus as it appeared in The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, while the enduring popularity of the Godzilla series was the film's primary inspiration. Storyboards for the film showed the boy playing with a King Kong toy instead of the Rhedosaurus.
This is a list of references for Megan. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 1 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.