The Post-Millennium era is a placeholder term currently used to refer to any Godzilla films produced by Toho Company Ltd. after 2004. The Post-Millennium era overlaps with Legendary Pictures' MonsterVerse time-wise, but is considered to be a separate series due to being produced by a separate studio and not sharing continuity with the MonsterVerse.
Worth noting is that "Post-Millennium" is only an unofficial placeholder term, as Toho has not designated any of its recent Godzilla films as comprising a distinct "era," such as the Showa, Heisei or Millennium series, and will be replaced if Toho chooses to name a new era. The term "Post-Millennium" is used because all of these films were released after the close of the Millennium series in 2004, and are not themselves considered part of the Millennium series. The films classified as "Post-Millennium" also do not all share continuity, as Shin Godzilla and the trilogy of anime Godzilla films are set in different continuities.
In 2004, Toho announced that Godzilla: Final Wars, the sixth and final entry in the Millennium series, would be the last Godzilla film for a period of at least ten years. In 2014, the American studio Legendary Pictures produced Godzilla, which would kick off the studio's MonsterVerse series of films. Toho in the meantime had begun pre-production on its next Godzilla film, and hired Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi to write and direct the film. Following the financial success of Legendary's film, Toho formally announced production of its new film. Shin Godzilla was released in 2016, and was a considerable critical and financial success. Whether or not a sequel to Shin Godzilla or another live-action Toho Godzilla film will be released in the near future remains to be seen. However, the terms of Toho's contract with Legendary dictate that they cannot produce another live-action Godzilla film until after Godzilla vs. Kong is released in 2020. Keiji Ota, the man in charge of overseeing the Godzilla franchise for Toho, has stated that the company has no plans for a Shin Godzilla 2 but instead plans to launch a cinematic universe featuring Godzilla and the company's other monsters following the expiration of its contract with Legendary in 2020.
- Shin Godzilla (2016)
GODZILLA Anime Trilogy
Following the release of Shin Godzilla, Toho Animation announced that it would be partnering with animation studio Polygon Pictures to produce the first-ever animated Godzilla film, tentatively scheduled for a 2017 theatrical release in Japan. In March 2017, Toho revealed the film's title, GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters, and that it would be the first entry in a trilogy of anime Godzilla films. GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters was released to Japanese theaters in November 2017, and became available to stream worldwide via Netflix on January 17, 2018. The second entry was released in May 2018, with the third film tentatively scheduled for release in November 2018.
- GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters (2017)
- GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle (2018)
- GODZILLA: The Planet Eater (2018)
Officially licensed tie-in media for the Post-Millennium Godzilla films has been released.
- The Art of Shin Godzilla - Art book for Shin Godzilla
- Shin Godzilla Walker: The New Legend of the King of the Monsters & Shin Godzilla Walker: Perfect Form - Encyclopedias covering the Godzilla franchise with a specific focus on Shin Godzilla
- GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse - Prequel novel to GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters
- GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters - Manga adaptation of the film
- GODZILLA: Project Mechagodzilla - Tie-in novel for GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle and follow-up to GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse
- GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters - Novelization of the film
- GODZILLA: The Planet Eater - Novelization of the film
- Shin Godzilla VR Demo
- Shin Arima
- Grand Summoners - Features Godzilla as a guest character
- Eternal Linkage - Features Godzilla Filius, Godzilla Earth, Shin Godzilla, Servum, Mothra, and Haruo Sakaki as guest characters
- Battle Spirits - BSC26 booster pack includes Shin Godzilla
- Weiß Schwarz - Includes a GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters-themed booster pack
- The Post-Millennium series is the first series of Godzilla films to include a fully-animated Godzilla film.
- The existence of the Post-Millennium series and MonsterVerse marks the first-ever instance of two separate series of Godzilla films running concurrently.
This is a list of references for Post-Millennium era. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 14 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.