The Asylum is an American independent film and television production and distribution company which specializes in low-budget genre films, particularly "mockbusters" of popular Hollywood films. It has produced numerous giant monster movies, including a Mega Shark series which largely eschewed the mockbuster model.
History[edit | edit source]
David Michael Latt, David Rimawi, and Sherri Strain founded The Asylum in 1997. Its first feature was Killer, released the same year. The company's breakthrough came in 2005 with H. G. Wells' War of the Worlds, released on DVD one day before the Paramount film based on the same book arrived in theaters. The Asylum continues this strategy to this day, though it has faced legal action from Warner Bros. and Paramount over specific titles. Outside of mockbusters, it is best-known for the Sharknado and Mega Shark film series, as well as the Syfy series Z Nation.
Selected productions[edit | edit source]
- King of the Lost World (2005) [mockbuster of King Kong (2005)]
- Monster (2008) [mockbuster of Cloverfield]
- Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus (2009)
- Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus (2010)
- Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark (2013)
- Atlantic Rim (2013) [mockbuster of Pacific Rim]
- Mega Shark vs. Kolossus (2015)
- Atlantic Rim: Resurrection (2018) [mockbuster of Pacific Rim Uprising]
- Monster Island (2019) [mockbuster of Godzilla: King of the Monsters]
- Monster Hunters (2020) [mockbuster of Monster Hunter]
- Ape vs. Monster (2021) [mockbuster of Godzilla vs. Kong]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for The Asylum. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 16 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.