The Explosion (1975)
The Explosion (東京湾炎上 is a Tōkyōwan Enjō, lit. Tokyo Bay Burns)1975 tokusatsu disaster film produced by Toho. The film is loosely based on the 1974 novel Critical Explosion by Koji Tanaka. It was released to Japanese theaters on July 12, 1975.
|This plot section is useless.
Please help out by editing this page and adding the plot.
To be added.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Katsumune Ishida
- Written by Yasuko Ono, Toshio Masuda
- Based on the Story Critical Explosion by Koji Tanaka
- Produced by Tomoyuki Tanaka, Osamu Tanaka
- Music by Hajime Kaburagi
- Cinematography by Rokuro Nishigaki
- Edited by Nobuo Ogawa
- Production Design by Yoshiro Muraki
- Assistant Directing by Ippei Imamura
- Special Effects by Teruyoshi Nakano, Motoyoshi Tomioka, Yasuyuki Inoue, Tadaaki Watanabe
- Theme Song "You Are a Traveler" Performed by Yoko Hashimoto
- Lyrics by Keisuke Yamakawa
- Composed and Arranged by Hajime Kaburagi
- Directed by John Bushelman
- Produced by William C. Thomas
- Edited by Jeff Bushelman
- Production Design by Normand Hole
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Tetsuro Tanba as Captain Munekata
- Hiroshi Fujioka as Jiro Tate, geologist
- Jo Shishido as Chief Engineer Kosai
- Yutaka Mizutani as Munk, seajacker
- Midori Kanazawa as Machiko
- Ryohei Uchida as Nishizawa, boatswain
- Fumio Watanabe as Tatsuya Iwado, reporter
- Mizuho Suzuki as Commander of Defense Katsuragi
- Kei Sato as Fukami, television director
- Soichiro Kitamura as First Mate Ehara
- Tetsuya Ushio as Third Mate Inoue
- Sumio Tomikawa as Kataoka, engineer
- Shiro Kuno as Igarashi, radio station director
- Dai Kanai as Doctor Hatsuyama
- Tappei Shimokawa as Chief Steward Terada
- Kazuo Kato as Public relations officer
- Akio Satake as Susumu Wakabayashi, special effects director
- Masanori Irie as Defense Agency Director General
- ----- as ------
- Ken Saunders as Kifal
- K. Amoha as Simba
- Willy Dorcey as Zamba
- Ikbar Haniv as Mubogo
- Osman Yusuf as Reporter
- Tony Cetera as Reporter
- Peter Graves as Elliott Rhoades
- Gigi Penneau as Patricia Haber
Weapons, Vehicles, and Races
- Main article: The Explosion/Gallery.
- Tokyo Bay Burns (東京湾炎上 Tōkyōwan Enjō, Literal Japanese title)
- Conflagration (International title)
- High Seas Hijack (American title)
- Steel Inferno (Finland title, Teräshelvetti)
- The Great Explosion: 200,000t of Fire (French title, La Grande Explosion 200 000 T. de Feu)
- Terror in the World (French title, Terreur sur le Monde)
- Assault on the Colossus of the Seas (Peru title, Atentado al Coloso de los Mares)
- The Ocean in Flames (Spanish title, El Océano en Llamas)
- Great Alarm of Tokyo Bay (Swedish title, Storlarm i Tokyo Bay)
- Hellish Ride into the Unknown (West German title, Höllenfahrt ins Ungewisse)
- Japan - July 12, 1975
- Sweden - August 2, 1976
- Peru - September 23, 1976
- West Germany - June 3, 1977
- France - August 24, 1977
- Finland - November 25, 1977 (Turku)
- Italy - 1978
Toho VHS (1994)
- Tapes: 1
- Audio: Japanese
Toho DVD (2005)
- Region: 2
- Discs: 1
- Audio: Japanese (Mono, 5.1 Surround)
- Subtitles: Japanese
- Special Features: Audio commentary by Katsumune Ishida and Tetsu Nakamura, theatrical trailer, interview with Teruyoshi Nakano, galleries of production stills and set scenery
- Notes: Re-released on November 8, 2013 in a limited edition and on August 19, 2015 as part of the Toho DVD Masterpiece Selection.
DeAGOSTINI Japan DVD (2011)
- Region: 2
- Discs: 1
- Audio: Japanese
- Special Features: None
- Notes: Released as part of the Toho Special Effects Movie DVD Collection.
Though The Explosion is not available on Blu-ray, an HD version can be rented or purchased on the Japanese versions of Amazon and iTunes.
- The film was screened simultaneously with Go For It! Young Guy (がんばれ！若大将. Ganbare! Wakadaishō)
- Stock footage from The Explosion would be reused for Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, and Godzilla: Final Wars.
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.