GODZILLA: Monster Planet (2017)
||This article concerns an upcoming subject, and will be updated with new information as it arises.|
|“||We will definitely take back this <Earth> (この〈地球〉を必ず取り戻す)||„|
GODZILLA: Monster Planet (ＧＯＤＺＩＬＬＡ -怪獣惑星- Gojira Kaijū Wakusei?) is an upcoming anime science fiction monster film produced by Toho Animation and animated by Polygon Pictures, and the first entry in a trilogy of animated Godzilla films. It will be released to Japanese theaters in November 2017, and worldwide by Netflix later in the year.
English synopsis from the film's official website:
"The final summer of the 20th century... when mankind learns it is no longer the sole ruler of planet Earth.
The planet is beset by the emergence of colossal creatures that roam the earth, and king among them is “Godzilla”. For a half a century, these beasts engage in ferocious battle with each other and mankind. But humans, unable to compete, prepare for exile from their home planet. In the year 2048, a select few humans are chosen by the central government's artificial intelligence infrastructure to set out on an interstellar emigration vessel, the Aratrum, on an 11.9-lightyear journey for the planet Tau-e in the Cetus constellation. But when they arrive after 20 years of space travel, the remnants of mankind find the environmental conditions on Tau-e to be much different than expected, and basically uninhabitable by humans.
One youth on board the emigration vessel, Haruo, had seen his parents killed by Godzilla before his eyes when he was only 4 years old. Ever since, he has thought of nothing but returning to Earth to defeat Godzilla. With the doors to emigration now closed, Haruo and other crew spearhead a “return to Earth” decision despite severely attenuated and hazardous conditions on board for such a long trip back.
Somehow, the Aratrum makes the return journey in one piece, but the home they return to has become an alien planet. 20,000 years have elapsed, and a new ecosystem has emerged with Godzilla atop the food chain. Can mankind take back its native planet? Will Haruo get his revenge?"
English synopsis of the film from Netflix:
"Godzilla creates havoc in this epic new anime set in a future where the world of the legendary monster has changed beyond imagining."
On August 18, 2016, less than a month after the release of the film Godzilla Resurgence, it was announced that an anime Godzilla film is currently in the works for a 2017 theatrical premiere. On October 30, 2016, the film's co-director Hiroyuki Seshita posted on Twitter that the voice recording sessions for the film had been completed, and now it was entirely in the hands of the animators.
Concept art showing machines and armored humanoids moving through a forest, as well as the interior of a spaceship, appeared on the film's official Twitter account on January 19, February 24, and March 5. January 19 also saw the reveal of the film's lead voice actors: Yuki Kaji, Takahiro Sakurai, Tomokazu Sugita, Junichi Suwabe, Kana Hanazawa, and Mamoru Miyano. An event for the film will take place on March 26 at the AnimeJapan 2017 convention, with all six actors in attendance.
On March 13, 2017, Netflix announced through its @NetflixJP Twitter account that it had secured the worldwide distribution rights to the film. On March 24, the film's official website revealed the film's full title, GODZILLA: Monster Planet, as well as a new visual and poster for the film. In addition, the film's official story and release date, November 2017, were revealed.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Kobun Shizuno, Hiroyuki Seshita
- Written by Gen Urobuchi
- Production Design by Naoya Tanaka, Ferdinando Patulli
- Assistant Directing by Hiroyuki Morita
- Series Composition by Gen Urobuchi, Yusuke Kozaki
- Technical Directing by Naohiro Yoshihira
- CG Character Design by Yuki Moriyama
- Model Directing by Mitsunori Kataama
- Art Directing by Yukihiro Shibutani
- Color Key Art by Hironori Nochi
- Sound Directing by Satoshi Motoyama
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Mamoru Miyano as Captain Haruo Sakaki
- Takahiro Sakurai as Colonel Metphies
- Kana Hanazawa as Sergeant Yuko Tani
- Tomokazu Sugita as Major Martin Lazzari
- Yūki Kaji as Lieutenant Adam Bindewald
- Junichi Suwabe as Technical Officer Mulu-Elu Galu-gu
Weapons, Vehicles, and Races
- Main article: Godzilla: Monster Planet/Gallery.
- GODZILLA: Monster Planet will be the first fully animated Godzilla film. Henry G. Saperstein planned to produce an animated Godzilla film in 1988, but it was never made.
- This film will be the fifth official appearance of Godzilla in an anime, after the animated segments in Adventure! Godzilland, the Get Going! Godzilland OVAs, Godzilla Kingdom, and the Crayon Shin-Chan episode It's Crayon Shin-Chan vs. Shin Godzilla!
- In the official timeline distributed at AnimeJapan 2017, a 2005 anti-kaiju campaign using biological and chemical weapons is called "Operation Hedorah."
This is a list of references for Godzilla: Monster Planet. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: