BioGoji / GhidoGoji
Name[edit | edit source]
Detail[edit | edit source]
In 1989, Godzilla was given a whole new look yet again, an overall design which would set the trend for the rest of Godzilla's suits featured in the Heisei era. To convey a feeling of mass and power, the head was reduced and the neck elongated. The face was also changed and appeared to be more feline in appearance. Significant musculature was added, particularly around the chest and thigh area. The irises were enlarged to fill most of the eye sockets, projecting the impression of mammalian cunning. The fangs were eliminated once again, but Godzilla's teeth were increased to include a double row of sharp teeth in both the upper and lower jaws. The lateral dorsal fins were also enlarged almost to the size of the center row. Just like the previous suit, this one also weighed 242 pounds, but this time the suit was actually built to fit suit actor Kenpachiro Satsuma, making it much easier for the actor to move. A second suit used in filming water scenes was also built, weighing 176 pounds.
A puppet was also created of Godzilla's head, neck and shoulders, used in close up shots.
In Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, this suit was given a more massive and muscular body, a more vicious and menacing face and a larger chest area. This suit is also called the GhidoGoji (ギドゴジ)
Use in other media[edit | edit source]
Video games[edit | edit source]
- Godzilla: Battle Legends (1993)
- Godzilla on Monster Island (2011)
- Godzilla (PlayStation 3 / PlayStation 4) (2014)
- Godzilla Kaiju Collection (2015)
- Godzilla Defense Force (2019)
- Godzilla Battle Line (2021)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
Kenpachiro Satsuma falls into the water during filming, requiring a team to help pull the suit back up.
Kenpachiro Satsuma tries on the incomplete suit
Kenpachiro Satsuma dances in the BioGoji suit between takes
Screenshots[edit | edit source]
Post-production[edit | edit source]
Merchandise[edit | edit source]
Covers[edit | edit source]
The cover for the soundtrack of Godzilla vs. Biollante
The cover for the soundtrack of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Toys[edit | edit source]
Godzilla: High Grade Set 5 Godzilla '89
Godzilla: High Grade Shin Godzilla Set Godzilla 1989
Hazawa-Gumi Godzilla 1989
Diamond Select Godzilla 1989 vinyl figure bank
S.H. MonsterArts Light Sound Songs Godzilla 1989
X-Plus 25cm Godzilla 1989
Shokugan Godzilla 1989
Mini Cast Godzilla 1989 and Biollante Flower Beast ornament
NECA 1989 Godzilla
Super7 Ultimates! Godzilla 1989
Trading cards[edit | edit source]
Battle Spirits BSC26 Godzilla (1989) card
Magazines[edit | edit source]
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
24cm 150,000,000 yen pure gold 15kg BioGoji Godzilla 「純金 GODZILLA」
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- At the beginning of Godzilla vs. Mothra's production schedule, an unknown party stole the GhidoGoji suit from Toho Studios before it could be used in several scenes too strenuous for the new BatoGoji suit. It was eventually discovered on the shore of Lake Okutama by an old woman. Members of Koichi Kawakita's special effects team were reportedly disappointed at its return, due to the amount of time required to repair the damage it had sustained. It can be seen in the completed film fighting the larval Battra underwater, rising from the erupting Mount Fuji, and falling to the ground after Battra drops the top of the Yokohama Landmark Tower onto it.
- BioGoji was the second suit built for Godzilla vs. Biollante. The first attempt was deemed unacceptable, presumably by special effects director Koichi Kawakita, and appeared only in publicity photos and the scene when Godzilla approaches the Twin 21 Towers. It had a flatter head, a thicker neck, and slimmer thighs than the BioGoji.
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for BioGoji. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 35 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.