KiryuGoji / SOSGoji
- Disclaimer: There are two separate suits for the Kiryu Saga Godzilla. This page contains both of them.
- This article covers the Godzilla design featured in the Kiryu Saga films. For the Godzilla incarnation, see Godzilla/Kiryu Saga.
- 1 Name
- 2 Detail
- 3 Use in Other Media
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Trivia
- 6 References
- 7 Comments
In Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, the KiryuGoji's name comes from another kaiju's name, Kiryu (機龍, and Goji, which comes from Kiryū)Godzilla's Japanese name, Gojira (ゴジラ). The official nickname ShakuGoji (釈ゴジ) comes from the name of actress Yumiko Shaku (釈由美子, and Goji. Shaku Yumiko)
For the film Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, Toho decided to stray away from the GMKGoji design Godzilla sported in the previous film and return to the look of the MireGoji. This new design, dubbed KiryuGoji, did however undergo some major changes from those two previous designs. The head was completely changed and made smaller to the point of resembling the head of the Heisei series Godzilla. The suit was given large yellow and almost bird-like eyes. The dorsal plates were reduced a bit and lost their purplish hue, retaining the classic bone-white color, but still remained jagged like the MireGoji's dorsal plates. Godzilla's skin also returned from the green hue of the MireGoji to the traditional charcoal black color.
The KiryuGoji suit is among the most expressive of the Godzilla suits, and has animatronics included in its head which allow for some facial expressions and more notably, the ability to widen or narrow the suit's eyes, giving Godzilla genuine expressions of surprise, shock or anger.
The following year for the film Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S., the sequel to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, Godzilla's appearance remained basically the same. A new suit named SOSGoji was created with an almost identical design, only sporting a large scar on the chest region, sustained from Kiryu's Absolute Zero cannon in the previous film.
Use in Other Media
- Godzilla: The Half-Century War
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
- Godzilla: Cataclysm
- Godzilla in Hell (Issue #1 and Issue #5)
- Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters Issue 3 (Cover B)
The KiryuGoji with Akira Ifukube to celebrate his 90th birthday
Godzilla in Godzilla: Pachislot Wars
The cover for the soundtrack of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
The cover for the soundtrack of Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
Godzilla: High Grade Set 9 Godzilla 2002
Godzilla: High Grade Set 10 Godzilla 2003
Bandai Japan Real Action Godzilla 2003
Bandai Japan remote controlled Godzilla 2003
Bandai Japan Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla Battlefield set
Bandai Japan 4-inch sofubi Godzilla 2003
Bandai Japan DX Godzilla 2003
Bandai Japan Godzilla Complete Works Godzilla 2002
Bandai Japan Godzilla Complete Works Godzilla 2003
Bandai Japan Godzilla Appearance Godzilla 2002
S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 2002
Bandai Japan Ultimate Godzilla Collection 2 Godzilla 2003
Bandai Polystone Collection Godzilla 2002
- The KiryuGoji suit was also used in promotional footage for the 2007 game Godzilla: Pachislot Wars.
- Godzilla is often portrayed with the KiryuGoji design in the Godzilla comics by IDW Publishing.
- In addition to the KiryuGoji suit, a partial replica of the ShodaiGoji suit was constructed for flashback scenes of the 1954 Godzilla in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.
This is a list of references for KiryuGoji. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 8 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.