KiryuGoji / SOSGoji
- Disclaimer: There are two separate suits for the Kiryu series Godzilla. This page contains both of them.
- This article covers the Godzilla design featured in the Kiryu series films. For the Godzilla incarnation, see Godzilla (Kiryu series).
The KiryuGoji (機龍ゴジ and SOSGoji KiryūGoji) (ＳＯＳゴジ are the EsuŌEsuGoji)Godzilla suit designs used in the 2002 Godzilla film Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and its 2003 sequel Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, respectively.
In Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, the KiryuGoji's name comes from another kaiju's name, Kiryu (機龍, and Goji, which comes from Kiryū)Godzilla's Japanese name, Gojira (ゴジラ). The official nickname ShakuGoji (釈ゴジ) comes from the name of actress Yumiko Shaku (釈由美子, and Goji. Shaku Yumiko)
For the film Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, Toho decided to stray away from the GMKGoji design Godzilla sported in the previous film and return to the look of the MireGoji. This new design, dubbed the KiryuGoji, did however undergo some major changes from those two previous designs. The head was completely changed and made smaller to the point of resembling the head of the Heisei series Godzilla. The suit was given large yellow and almost bird-like eyes. The dorsal fins were reduced a bit and lost their purplish hue, retaining the classic bone-white color, but still remained jagged like the MireGoji's dorsal fins. Godzilla's skin also returned from the green hue of the MireGoji to the traditional charcoal-black color.
The KiryuGoji suit is among the most expressive of the Godzilla suits, and has animatronics included in its head which allow for some facial expressions and, more notably, the ability to widen or narrow the suit's eyes, giving Godzilla genuine expressions of surprise, shock or anger.
The following year for the film Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, the sequel to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, Godzilla's appearance remained basically the same. A new suit named SOSGoji was created with an almost identical design, only sporting a large scar on the chest region, sustained from Kiryu's Absolute Zero Cannon in the previous film.
Use in other media
- Godzilla: Pachislot Wars (2007) - pachislot
- Godzilla Kaiju Collection (2015) - Android and iOS
- Super Robot Wars X-Ω (2015; added in 2016) - Android and iOS [artwork]
- Godzilla Defense Force (2019) - Android and iOS
- Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters #3 (2011, Cover B)
- Godzilla: The Half-Century War (2012-2013)
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (2013-2015)
- Godzilla: Cataclysm (2014)
- Godzilla in Hell #1 and 5 (2015)
- Godzilla: Pachislot Wars Promotion DVD (2007)
The KiryuGoji with Akira Ifukube to celebrate his 90th birthday
Godzilla in Godzilla: Pachislot Wars
The cover for the soundtrack of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
The cover for the soundtrack of Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
Bandai Toy Dreams Project SOSGoji
Bandai DX roaring Godzilla 2003
Bandai remote controlled Godzilla 2003
Bandai Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla Battlefield set
Bandai 4-inch sofubi Godzilla 2003
Bandai DX Godzilla 2003
Bandai Godzilla Complete Works Godzilla 2002
Bandai Godzilla Complete Works Godzilla 2003
Bandai Godzilla Appearance Godzilla 2002
Bandai Ultimate Godzilla Collection 2 Godzilla 2003
Bandai Polystone Collection Godzilla 2002
X-Plus Garage Toy Toho 30cm Series (2010)
S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 2002
NECA 2003 Godzilla
NECA 2003 Godzilla Hyper Maser Blast Variant
Cast Godzilla 2003 and Submarine ornament
Chibi Maru Godzilla 2003
S.H. Monsterarts Godzilla (2002)
- The KiryuGoji suit was also used in promotional footage for the 2007 game Godzilla: Pachislot Wars.
- Godzilla is often portrayed with the KiryuGoji design in the Godzilla comics by IDW Publishing.
- In addition to the KiryuGoji suit, a partial replica of the ShodaiGoji suit was constructed for flashback scenes of the 1954 Godzilla in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.
This is a list of references for KiryuGoji. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 46 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.