Godzilla Island (1997-1998)
Godzilla Island (ゴジラアイランド is a Gojira Airando)Japanese television show spinoff of the Godzilla franchise created by Toho. It premiered on October 6, 1997, and ran for a total of 256 three-minute episodes, finishing on September 30, 1998. The series is notable for its almost exclusive use of action figures to portray the kaiju rather than suitmation. It was written by Takahiko Masuda and directed by Shun Mizutani.
In 2097, most of the world's monsters have been rounded up and are living on an island in the South Pacific dubbed Godzilla Island. The kaiju are kept content on their island home, and are monitored from the G-Guard base in the center of the island. There, Commander Besuke Jinguji watches and monitors the monsters day after day, with only the spherical robot Lucas by his side. However, the monotony of the job and of the monster's lives comes to an abrupt end when a gigantic UFO arrives on Earth. Inside is the Xilian Zagres, who, under the command of her leader, the Giant Dark Emperor, is hell bent on taking over the planet, starting with Godzilla Island. However, as her ship begins to attack the island, a smaller ship arrives and defends the island, the monsters, and the base. As the Commander and Lucas scratch their heads, perplexed by this new turn of events, a young woman suddenly appears in the base. She introduces herself as Torema, and says she has come to help defend the island from Zagres's onslought. However, the three heroes have a long road ahead of them, as the evil Xilians have an entire army of monsters at their disposal, and more than a few surprises to boot. It will be up to the Commander, his daughter Misato, Torema, Lucas, and the horde of monsters living on Godzilla Island to defend their home, and the world, from the coming invasion.
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Jiro Dan as Besuke Jinguji
- Maimi Okuwa as Torema
- Kaori Aso as Misato Jinguji
- Sho Sawamura as Nao Koda
- Kaoru Ukawa as Landes
- Kenichiro Shimamura as Lucas (voice)
- Chafurin as M Space Hunter Nebula Alien (voice)
- Kaori Aizawa as Zagres
- Yutaka Aoyama as Narrator / Giant Dark Emperor (voice) / Cameron (voice)
Weapons, vehicles, and races
- Region: 2
- Discs: 4
- Audio: Japanese
- Subtitles: None
- Special Features: Interviews with director Shun Mizutani, writer Takahiko Masuda, and producer Asai Kei
- Many tie-in toys were created for this series by Bandai, because this series was, in fact, created through the use of action figures.
- A CD of theme music for the series, mostly composed by Akira Ifukube, was released in 1997 by Polygram, entitled Welcome To Godzilla Island. Most of the music was provided by U2 guitarist, The Edge.
- The names of numerous Toho kaiju which do not appear in the show are mentioned in the series' theme song, "The Theme of GODZILLA." They include Ebirah, Manda, Gabara, Varan, Maguma, Sanda, Gaira, Gezora, Ganimes, Shockirus, Mechani-Kong, Griffon, and Kumonga.
This is a list of references for Godzilla Island (series). These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 10 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.