To create a new article, type the page's title in the box below.
- Not sure where to start?
- If you are new to wikis, check out the tutorial.
- Remember to read our Policy before editing.
- If you're a new user, check out the New User Guide!
- Check out a list of Wikizilla's Site Projects here.
- If you see an error, be it factual, grammatical, or otherwise, in any of our articles, please fix it!
- Always remember to cite reliable sources for claims or news. Fan sites, blogs, and random YouTube videos are not reliable sources.
- To add fanon, go to the Zilla Fanon Wiki.
The Last War is a 1961 tokusatsu science fiction drama film directed by Shue Matsubayashi and written by Toshio Yasumi and Takeshi Kimura, with special effects by Eiji Tsuburaya. Produced by Toho, it stars Frankie Sakai, Akira Takarada, Yuriko Hoshi, Nobuko Otawa, Yumi Shirakawa, Chishu Ryu, and Jerry Ito. The film was released to Japanese theaters by Toho on October 8, 1961, and premiered in the non-contiguous United States in Honolulu, Hawaii on January 3, 1962, following a sneak preview on December 29, 1961. Brenco Pictures Corporation produced an English-dubbed version for wider American audiences, which saw release in November 1968 at one Southern California drive-in before being picked up years later by Heritage Enterprises and sold to television.
Read more »
[Previously Featured Articles]
In the News
Today is November 30, 2023.
- [11/17/23] The first two episodes of Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, "Aftermath" and "Departure", premiere on Apple TV+.
- [11/15/23] IDW Publishing releases Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Mechagodzilla.
- [11/3/23] Godzilla Minus One is released to Japanese theaters. Godzilla Fest 2023 is also held, premiering the short films Godzilla vs. Megalon and Fest Godzilla 4: Operation Jet Jaguar.
- [11/1/23] Godzilla Minus One premieres at the Tokyo International Film Festival. Fathom Events holds screenings of Godzilla 2000: Millennium in the United States. IDW Publishing releases Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons #5.
- [10/31/23] Godzilla Voxel Wars launches on Epic Games and Steam.
- [10/13/23] Toho releases a teaser trailer for Godzilla vs. Megalon, a new short film directed by Takuya Uenishi for the upcoming Godzilla Fest 2023. (src)
- [9/22/23] IDW Publishing solicits Godzilla Rivals: Jet Jaguar Vs. Megalon, Godzilla: War for Humanity #5, Godzilla Library Collection, Vol. 2, and a trade paperback collecting Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons. (src)
- [9/8/23] Apple TV uploads a teaser trailer for Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, which gives the series a November 17 release date and reveals two other monsters and John Goodman's reprisal of his role as Bill Randa.
- [9/7/23] GAMERA -Rebirth- becomes available to stream on Netflix.
- [9/4/23] Toho releases the first full trailer for Godzilla Minus One, along with an updated poster and cast and crew listing. (src)
- [8/24/23] Legendary Pictures delays the theatrical release of Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire to April 12, 2024. (src)
- [8/17/23] Apple TV+ formally announces the title of its Monsterverse series, Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, and releases four stills from it. It also provides a fall 2023 release date for the series. (src)
- [8/16/23] IDW Publishing releases Godzilla: War for Humanity #1.
- [8/9/23] IDW Publishing releases Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons #2.
- [7/23/23] Kadokawa releases a second trailer for GAMERA -Rebirth-, along with the announcement that the show will premiere on September 7 and feature Viras as its fifth enemy monster. (src)
- [7/21/23] IDW Publishing solicits Godzilla Library Collection, Vol. 1, Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Mechagodzilla, and Godzilla Rivals: Round Two for October and Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons #5 and Godzilla: War for Humanity #3 for November. (src) Dynamite Entertainment also solicits Kong: The Great War #5 for October. (src)
- [7/20/23] GameMill Entertainment gives the first look at Skull Island: Rise of Kong, and announces that it will be released for various platforms this fall. (src)
- [7/19/23] DC Comics announces Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong, a crossover comic series beginning in October in partnership with Legendary Comics.
- [7/11/23] Toho announces that the next Godzilla film will be titled Godzilla Minus One and releases a teaser trailer and poster. It also announces that the film will be released theatrically in the United States on December 1. (src)
- [7/4/23] Megumi Kobayashi, who previously starred as Moll in the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy, is revealed as part of the cast of Hoshi 35. (src)
- [6/26/23] A crowdfunding campaign launches for a replica of the Jet Jaguar suit, planned to be used in a short film for Godzilla Fest. (src) Kadokawa announces that Guiron will appear in the upcoming GAMERA -Rebirth-. (src)
- [6/24/23] IDW solicits Godzilla: War for Humanity #2, set for September 27, and Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons #4, set for October 4. (src)
- [6/22/23] Skull Island premieres on Netflix.
- [6/13/23] 3Y Co., Ltd. releases a trailer for Hoshi 35. (src)
- [6/2/23] Terror of Mechagodzilla screenwriter Yukiko Takayama passes away. (src)
- [5/23/23] Legendary releases the first teaser trailer and poster for Skull Island and announces that the series will stream on Netflix beginning on June 22. Five members of the show's voice cast are also revealed. (src)
- [5/19/23] IDW solicits Godzilla: War for Humanity #1, set for August 16; Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons #3 and a trade paperback collecting Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King!, both set for August 23; Godzilla Rivals: Vs. SpaceGodzilla, set for August 30; and Godzilla: Best of Mechagodzilla, set for September 6. (src)
- [5/10/23] IDW publishes Godzilla Rivals: Biollante Vs. Destoroyah. The comic ends with a preview of a ninth installment of Godzilla Rivals starring SpaceGodzilla and written and illustrated by Matt Frank.
- [5/7/23] At Osaka Comic-Con, Kadokawa releases a new key visual revealing that Zigra will appear as one of Gamera's enemies in GAMERA -Rebirth-. (src)
- [4/21/23] IDW Publishing solicits Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - Summer Smash, a one-shot conclusion to the story of Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors and All Hail the King! set to be published on July 26, 2023. The second issue of Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons is scheduled for publication on the same day. (src)
- [4/19/23] Legendary Pictures releases a short teaser for the upcoming fifth film in the Monsterverse, revealing its title as Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire. (src)
- [4/9/23] It is reported that actor Michael Lerner, who played Mayor Ebert in TriStar Pictures' GODZILLA and returned to voice the character in Godzilla: The Series, passed away on April 8 at the age of 81. (src)
- [4/1/23] The first episode of Chibi Godzilla Raids Again, "Chibi Godzilla of Monster Island," premieres on TV Tokyo.
- [3/30/23] It is reported that Sadao Iizuka, the prolific optical artist who realized Ultraman's Spacium Beam and worked on countless other tokusatsu productions in his nearly seven-decade-long career, passed away on March 24. He was 88 years old. (src)
- [3/25/23] The main trailer for GAMERA -Rebirth- is released. Mamoru Miyano and Saori Hayami are announced as part of the cast. (src)
- [3/24/23] It is reported that Japanese actor Jiro Dan, known for portraying Hideki Go in the Ultra Series as well as G-Guard Commander Beisuke Jinguji in Godzilla Island, passed away on March 22. (src)
- [3/23/23] IDW Publishing announces a new Godzilla comic miniseries titled Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons, with the first issue scheduled for June. (src)
- [3/22/23] Fathom Events screens Godzilla: Tokyo SOS and Godzilla vs. Gigan Rex in select U.S. theaters. Kadokawa releases the first plot synopsis for GAMERA -Rebirth-, as well as a new key visual depicting Gamera, Gyaos, and Jiger. (src) (src)
- [3/8/23] IDW publishes Godzilla Rivals: Mothra Vs. Titanosaurus.
- [3/2/23] Toho announces Chibi Godzilla Raids Again, a new animated series which will premiere on TV Tokyo on April 1. (src)
- [2/12/23] The main cast and staff of GAMERA -Rebirth- are revealed. (src) (src)
- [2/8/23] IDW Publishing releases the final issue of Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King!
- [1/29/23] Kadokawa releases a teaser trailer for GAMERA -Rebirth- and announces that the project will be a six-episode animated series in which Gamera battles five kaiju, with Gyaos being the first revealed. (src) (src)
- [1/11/23] IDW publishes Godzilla Rivals: Rodan Vs. Ebirah and Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King! #4.
- [12/20/22] A video game based on Joe DeVito's King Kong of Skull Island is reported to be in development in partnership with GameMill Entertainment. (src)
- [12/14/22] Legendary Comics launches a Kickstarter for the Monsterverse Omnibus, a hardcover collection containing reprints of all five existing Monsterverse graphic novels along with an original story set during the events of Godzilla vs. Kong entitled Call to Action. The Kickstarter meets its funding goal by the end of the day. (src)
- [12/13/22] Toho announces its film release lineup for 2023 and part of 2024. Included is the yet-untitled sequel to Godzilla vs. Kong, which it will bring to Japanese theaters in 2024. (src)
- [11/28/22] Toy manufacturer Titanic Creations announces a figure of Ogra from Gorgo, along with a graphic novel sequel to the film set to be released in 2024, and a potential animated movie. (src)
- [11/26/22] 3Y Co., Ltd. announce the kaiju movie Hoshi 35, which will star Godzilla series actors Megumi Odaka, Daijiro Harada, and Jun Hashizume, and release in 2023. (src)
- [11/19/22] It is officially announced at AnimeNYC that Fathom Events will bring Shin Ultraman to American theaters on January 11 and 12, 2023. (src)
- [11/17/22] Kadokawa announces a new Gamera project titled GAMERA -Rebirth-, which will stream worldwide via Netflix. (src) A listing for Shin Ultraman appears on AMC Theatres' website with a date of January 11, 2023. (src)
- [11/15/22] It is announced that Kazuki Omori, director of two of the Heisei Godzilla films and screenwriter of four, passed away on November 12 at age 70. (src)
- [11/9/22] IDW Publishing releases Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King! #2.
- [11/8/22] Welbeck Publishing releases Godzilla: The Official Guide to the King of the Monsters in the United States. IDW Publishing releases the trade paperback for Godzilla vs. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
- [11/4/22] The Seibun amusement park begins complementing Godzilla the Ride: Giant Monsters Ultimate Battle with a 60-minute prequel attraction, Godzilla the Mission: Escape from the Looming Danger of a Giant Monster.
- [11/3/22] The short films Godzilla vs. Gigan Rex and Fest Godzilla 3: Gigan Attacks premiere at Godzilla Fest 2022. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla screens in U.S. theaters courtesy of Fathom Events.
- [11/2/22] Toho announces that the next live action Japanese Godzilla film will be directed by Takashi Yamazaki and released to Japanese theaters on November 3, 2023. (src)
- [10/14/22] Toho releases the first teaser for Kazuhiro Nakagawa's Fest Godzilla 3: Gigan Attacks, which will premiere at Godzilla Fest on November 3. (src)
- [10/13/22] Umbrella Entertainment will release King Kong Lives to Blu-ray in Australia on January 18, 2023. (src)
- [10/12/22] IDW Publishing releases Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King! #1.
- [10/10/22] StudioCanal will release Dino De Laurentiis' King Kong to 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray in the United Kingdom on November 28, 2022. (src)
- [10/5/22] Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla will play in select U.S. theaters through Fathom Events on November 3, 2022, in celebration of Godzilla's birthday. (src)
- [9/24/22] Deadline reports that Babak Anvari will direct the fourth Cloverfield film. (src)
- [9/23/22] Yuzo the Biggest Battle in Tokyo premieres at the Kansas City Underground Film Festival. (src)
- [9/14/22] IDW Publishing and BOOM! Studios publish the final issue of their crossover comic miniseries Godzilla vs. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Toho and Malaysian game developer Passion Republic Games announce an upcoming Godzilla collaboration with the latter's kaiju brawler game GigaBash. (src)
- [8/25/22] Collider reports that Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, and Kaylee Hottle will be reprising their roles from Godzilla vs. Kong in the next film in the Monsterverse, with Fala Chen, Alex Ferns, and Rachel House joining the cast as well. Furthermore, Terry Rossio will return to write the screenplay with Jeremy Slater and Simon Barrett. A new brief synopsis states that the film will see Kong joining forces with Godzilla to battle a new foe. (src)
- [8/23/22] Atomic Monster Productions and World Builder Entertainment will produce a King Kong series for Disney+, based on DeVito Artworks' King Kong of Skull Island property. (src)
- [8/4/22] IDW Publishing officially announces the next three installments of Godzilla Rivals, all set for release in 2023: Rodan Vs. Ebirah, Mothra Vs. Titanosaurus, and Biollante Vs. Destoroyah. (src)
- [8/3/22] IDW Publishing releases Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Battra.
- [7/30/22] Discotek Media will release Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds to Blu-ray later in the year. (src)
- [7/29/22] Principal photography on the fifth Monsterverse film begins in the Queensland, Australia suburb of Surfers Paradise. (src)
- [7/23/22] IDW Publishing announces Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King!, a five issue comic miniseries sequel to Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors set for release beginning in October. (src)
- [7/20/22] IDW Publishing and BOOM! Studios publish the fourth issue of their crossover comic miniseries Godzilla vs. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Kurt Russell and his son Wyatt Russell officially join the cast of Legendary's upcoming Godzilla-focused Monsterverse television series. (src)
- [7/8/22] An HD digital listing for King Kong Lives, listed as being licensed from StudioCanal by Shout! Factory, appears on digital storefronts such as Vudu with a release date of July 12. (src)
- [7/6/22] Toho will release Daigoro vs. Goliath and The War in Space to Blu-ray for the first time on September 21. (src src)
- [7/5/22] Livedoor News reports that Teruyoshi Nakano, special effects director of six Godzilla films and numerous other Toho genre productions in the 1970s and 80s, passed away on June 27 at the age of 86. (src)
- [6/30/22] Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. announce that the yet-untitled fifth Monsterverse film is set to be released on March 15, 2024. (src)
- [6/15/22] Toho releases a two-disc Blu-ray set containing Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba, as well as a two-disc Gunhed Blu-ray.
- [6/8/22] The first official teaser image for Skull Island is revealed on Twitter. (src)
- [5/27/22] The Escape from the Hotel with Godzilla Approaching escape room opens at the Atami Bay Resort Korakuen.
- [5/25/22] IDW Publishing and BOOM! Studios publish the third issue of their crossover comic miniseries Godzilla vs. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
- [5/19/22] Matt Shakman will direct the first two episodes of Monarch and executive produce the series. (src)
- [5/13/22] Toho releases Shin Ultraman to Japanese theaters.
- [5/12/22] Dan Stevens joins the cast of Origins, the working title for the next Monsterverse film. Adam Wingard will return as director. (src)
- [5/5/22] It is reported that actor Hiroyuki Watanabe, who played Colonel Ono in the Heisei Gamera Trilogy and Commander Yutaka Hirose in Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, was found dead on May 3 at the age of 66 from suicide. (src)
- [4/27/22] IDW Publishing releases Godzilla Rivals: Vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #2.
- [4/15/22] Toho releases a third teaser for Shin Ultraman. (src)
- [4/11/22] Clover Press launches a Kickstarter for Godzilla & Kong: The Cinematic Storyboard Art of Richard Bennett, reaching its $7,500 funding goal the same day. (src)
- [3/31/22] Toho announces plans to crowdfund the construction of a Gigan suit based on his Showa design, for use in a new short film and public events in celebration of his 50th birthday. (src) Bandai unveils the next two figures in its Movie Monster Series: Jet Jaguar β and Salunga from Godzilla Singular Point. (src)
- [3/30/22] It is reported that Nobuyuki Yasumaru, who served as Toho's chief modeler on its tokusatsu productions from 1971 to 1991, passed away on March 1, 2022 at the age of 87. (src) Toho will release a two-disc Blu-ray set containing Varan, Gorath, Dogora, and Space Amoeba, as well as a two-disc Gunhed Blu-ray, on June 15. (src) (src)
- [3/29/22] Toho announces an upcoming Godzilla-themed escape room in the Atami Korakuen Hotel, created by SCRAP and set after the events of King Kong vs. Godzilla. (src)
- [3/28/22] It is reported that tokusatsu writer and director Hirochika Muraishi, who directed numerous episodes of Toho's Cyber Cop, Guyferd, and The Gransazers in addition to episodes of various shows from Tsuburaya Productions' Ultra Series, passed away on March 27 at the age of 75. (src)
- [3/23/22] IDW Publishing and BOOM! Studios release the first issue of Godzilla vs. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Netflix will release the second and final season of Pacific Rim: The Black on April 19. (src)
- [3/20/22] The next film in Legendary Pictures' Monsterverse is set to film in Queensland, Australia, later in 2022. (src)
- [3/18/22] IDW Publishing releases solicitations for Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Battra, to be published on June 29, 2022. (src)
- [3/17/22] It is reported that actor Akira Takarada, who starred in Godzilla films from the Showa, Heisei, and Millennium series as well as numerous other Toho tokusatsu productions, passed away on March 14 at age 87. (src)
- [3/12/22] Godzilla vs. Gigan marks its 50th anniversary.
- [3/3/22] It is reported that actor Yusuke Kawazu, who played Hiroshi Omae in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and Akio Nojiri in Gamera 2 and Gamera 3 among others, passed away on February 26 at age 86. (src)
- [2/21/22] Playmates officially reveals new figures based on both the Monsterverse and Toho's Godzilla series which are set to be sold in major retailers this spring. (src)
- [2/19/22] IDW Publishing releases solicitations for Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Gigan, to be published on May 25, 2022. (src)
- [2/18/22] A casting call for extras reveals that Takashi Yamazaki will be directing a kaiju film for Toho set in post-war Japan, tentatively titled Blockbuster Monster Movie. (src)
- [2/4/22] Shochiku and Toei release What to Do with the Dead Kaiju? to Japanese theaters.
- [1/20/22] Apple TV+ announce a new live-action Godzilla series produced by Legendary Television, set in the Monsterverse. (src)
- [1/16/22] Four new cast members are announced for Toei and Shochiku's What to Do with the Dead Kaiju?, including Pacific Rim actress Rinko Kikuchi. (src)
► News archive
Image of the Week