City Shrouded in Shadow
This is not the story of some hero. This is your story.
City Shrouded in Shadow (巨影都市 is a survival role-playing game developed by Granzella and published by Bandai Namco for the PlayStation 4. It was released on October 19, 2017 in Kyoei Toshi, lit. Shadow City)Japan. The game utilizes the license to multiple franchises revolving around giant monsters and/or robots: Godzilla, the Ultra Series, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gamera, and Patlabor.
City Shrouded in Shadow has the player assume the role of a civilian in the fictional Ichi City, and can be played from a first or third person point-of-view. The game features action and dialogue choices throughout, which rarely affect the game's story, instead mostly determining how the character behaves and interacts with others. The game consists of 17 stages through which the player's character and their allies must progress, avoiding dangers such as the attacking giant creatures or a group of Yakuza hitmen, the latter of which are not directly present in every level. Some of the giant beings in the game, such as the Ultra Crusaders, Mothra, Evangelion Units, and Gamera, are actually benevolent and will combat the more malicious creatures, but due to their gigantic size, they still pose a significant danger to the player. Some levels allow the player to control vehicles, including cars and motorcycles. Throughout levels, save points are available, also allowing the player to refill their health automatically. At the end of each stage, an overview of the level is shown as a newspaper, where the player can purchase clothing items with currency collected during each level.
Kaiju, seijin, and mechas
- Alien Zarab / Imitation Ultraman
- Ultraman Tiga
- Ultraman Belial
- Ultraman Zero
- Ultraman Taro
- King Ghidorah
- Type-3 Kiryu
- Evangelion Unit-01
- Evangelion Unit-00
- Evangelion Unit-02
- Legion (Soldiers and Plant)
- AV-98 Ingram
- AV-98 Ingram 2
- Type-5G/1C Grau-Bear
- CRL-98 Pyro-Buster
- Type J-9 Griffon
- Type M-5 Abraham
Godzilla's official announcement
- Despite characters from numerous different franchises appearing in the same world, none of them are ever shown alongside each other.
- This is the second game published by Bandai Namco to utilize the license to the Godzilla franchise after 2014's Godzilla, not counting the "Tokyo Martial Law" expansion to Ace Combat Infinity.
- City Shrouded in Shadow is the third video game to officially feature both Godzilla and Ultraman, after Battle Soccer: Champion of the Field and Battle Baseball, and the first to feature Gamera alongside either character.
- This game is one of few games to feature a kaiju incursion from a human perspective, along with Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters and Gamera: Gyaos Destruction Strategy.
- This game includes all of Toho's "Big Five" kaiju, with the exception of Rodan. Aside from Mechagodzilla, which is based on its Millennium series incarnation, all of the Godzilla series monsters in the game are from the Heisei series of films.