Godzilla: Smash3 was a free-to-play puzzle game developed by Pipeworks and was released to iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android devices on May 16, 2014. The app was taken down from the app store in 2017.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Godzilla: Smash3 uses turn-based puzzles to show cinematic computer-generated scenes featuring Godzilla.
There are several different types of tiles in the game. The main tiles are:
- Blue Godzilla tiles - These are the most common of the tiles. They do the least amount of damage.
- Yellow Godzilla tiles - These are less common than the blue tiles, but they do more damage.
- Orange Godzilla tiles - These are rare, but are very powerful.
- Atomic breath tiles - These add points to Godzilla's atomic breath meter. When it's full, Godzilla can use his atomic breath for massive damage.
- Life tiles - These restore Godzilla's health.
The enemy tiles are:
- Blocking Tiles - These appear when the player attacks a building. They block paths to other tiles.
- Soldier Tiles - These must be cleared quickly. They attack Godzilla every match.
The player has to touch the type of tile they wish to use for that turn and slide across the screen to any perpendicular tile in all eight surrounding directions that is the same one as they chose. At least three tiles have to be selected for Godzilla to do anything. When the player lets go of their selected tiles, the tiles' respective functions will occur for that turn and the effects will be greater the more tiles were selected. When at least eight of the same tiles are selected, each tile that is a multiple of eight will glow. These boost the effects of the tiles and give more points. When they are used for the first time in a consecutively selected set of tiles, they will make a random tile also get this glowing icon. If this second glowing tile is selected with at least two other ones, it will explode all the rows it's on and give the player a combo. If other glowing tiles share a row with the tile that exploded, they will also explode and add an additional point to the combo. When there are no more shining tiles, the combo will end and the points will be added to the score. Buildings are found throughout the game and may give a special type of brown tile.
Godzilla starts out with five lives, and one live is lost each time that Godzilla's health reaches zero. Once the player has run out of lives, they have to wait 30 minutes to be able to play again, or could buy more lives using in-app purchases.
Enemies[edit | edit source]
Godzilla faces an array of military opponents throughout the game. These mostly include boats, submarines, tanks, helicopters, and fighter jets. Godzilla fights the winged MUTO in the final Tokyo level, and then faces both MUTOs in the final San Francisco level.
Level Structure[edit | edit source]
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
There are three powers that the player can upgrade as you progress further into the game. These include your ATTACK, DEFENSE and ATOMIC POWER. Every time a level is completed you are awarded 1 to 3 stars. Every rank increases the amount of stars one has to collect by multiples of 3 until it reaches 15, where every rank after will always take 15 stars to reach. Once the player levels up a rank, an upgrade will be awarded which allows the player to upgrade one of their powers. Since a total of 240 stars can be collected, it is impossible to unlock every upgrade.
ATTACK[edit | edit source]
- Blue, Yellow, and Orange Attack Tiles deal +2 extra damage per tile.
- Default (Rank 1)
- Blast Tile explosions cause Godzilla to slash all enemies for 15% damage.
- Unlock Rank 3
- Godzilla now deals 10% more damage at critically low Health.
- Unlock Rank 4
- Blast Tile explosions cause Godzilla to slash all enemies for 35% damage.
- Unlock Rank 5
- Godzilla now deals 20% more damage at critically low Health.
- Unlock Rank 6
- Godzilla’s attacks have a 5% chance to deal 150% damage.
- Unlock Rank 10
- Blue, Yellow, and Orange Attack Tiles deal +4 extra damage per tile.
- Unlock Rank 11
- Godzilla’s attacks have a 10% chance to deal 150% damage.
- Unlock Rank 12
- Killing an enemy with an attack match makes your next attack deal +120% damage.
- Unlock Rank 16
History[edit | edit source]
The game was first revealed by Rogue Play on March 17, 2014 with the release of the game's trailer.
The game was released on May 16, 2014.
Subsequent updates have featured bug fixes, adjustments to timed levels, which many players on older devices were complaining were 'impossible' to beat without buying continues since the game lags on older devices, updates to the game's iconography, and tweaks to the game-wide strength of certain enemies.
A new location over the Pacific Ocean with 40 brand new levels was announced on June 26, 2014, but never saw release.
Description[edit | edit source]
"The "King of the Monsters" returns in Godzilla's mobile gaming debut!
Unleash the power of Godzilla and conquer your foes in this unique mix of jaw-dropping 3D action and challenging puzzles. Control each stomp, slash, and bite by matching - or SMASHING - puzzle tiles to drive Godzilla through dozens of levels in cities across the globe.
Upgrade Godzilla to match your play-style and call upon friends in times of need. Use powerful boosts to conquer new objectives and puzzles in each level, or build up energy to release Godzilla's signature attacks.
Available on iOS and Android this May."
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Promotional[edit | edit source]
Screenshots[edit | edit source]
Technical[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Achievements are awards received in most mobile games, especially those on Google Play.
Common[edit | edit source]
- Match 100 tiles total
Uncommon[edit | edit source]
- Beat a stage while Godzilla has full health
Rare[edit | edit source]
- Match 5,000 tile totals
Ultra Rare[edit | edit source]
- Unlock 9 Attack upgrades
- Defeat both MUTOs once and for all
- Unlock 9 Defense upgrades
Old Stomping Grounds
- Earn all 105 stars in Tokyo
- Reached Rank 20
- Earn all 135 stars in San Francisco
The Power of the Atom
- Unlock 9 Atomic upgrades
[edit | edit source]
- Official Godzilla Smash3 Facebook page
- Godzilla - Smash3 Official Site
- Pipeworks Announcement page
- Toho Kingdom interview with Rogue Play about the game
Showing 11 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.