Zedus (ジーダス is a giant sea lizard Jīdasu)kaiju who appears in the 2006 Kadokawa Gamera film Gamera the Brave.
According to the book Heisei Gamera Perfection, Zedus' design and abilities were influenced by the monsters Barugon, Zilla, Jiger, and Varan.
Zedus is a dark purple and pink-colored monster who resembles an upright theropod dinosaur with a somewhat hunched posture, pebbly skin, and four claws on both his hands and feet. He is covered in long spikes that go from the top of his head, down his back, on the backs of his legs, and down his long, thin tail. His head is large in comparison to the rest of his body, with a muzzle and bright, red eyes. Zedus has a multicolored frill that can pop out from behind his head, and his purple tongue can extend a great distance from his mouth.
Zedus' origins are never explored in his film appearance, although the book Gamera the Brave Super Complete Works states that Zedus was a type of semi-aquatic lizard that was mutated by feeding on the corpses of Gyaos.
- Gamera the Brave (2006)
Gamera the Brave
A man-eating monster from the depths of the ocean, Zedus attacked several ships at sea before finally making landfall, causing all sorts of damage. Fortunately for what remained of the city, Toto, the young Gamera found and raised by a young boy, appeared. Zedus unleashed its spear-like tongue on Toto while they battled. After several missed, Toto grabbed the tongue and held on as it pulled back into Zedus's maw. The creature was blasted in the face with a ball of fire, sending the monster into the sea below.
Zedus returned in full force, attacking the complex that Toto was being held in before unleashing his wrath on the rest of Nagoya. The two clashed once again, and like before, Zedus was quickly getting the upper hand. Overpowering the turtle with brutality, the creature tossed Toto into a building. The hero's body now stuck in the building, Zedus began to climb up.
Zedus had no idea that Toto had just been empowered by the jewel that gave him birth and was knocked off of the building by the flying Toto. Quickly getting to his feet, he lashed out with his tongue yet again, this time impaling it through Toto’s shoulder. As the two struggled on, Toto ripped the tongue in half and unleashed a powerful fireball. The ball of flames quickly engulfed the creature and blew it into bloody pieces.
Zedus' most powerful weapon is his elongated tongue. It can reach up to 100 meters in length, and can be launched in a spear-like attack. The tip of his tongue can emit a strong biological acid.
Zedus can emit a powerful biological acid from his claws and the tip of his tongue, allowing him to penetrate Toto's shell with ease.
Zedus can leap up to 200 meters by using his powerful legs. He is also agile enough to climb buildings and other structures.
Being a mutated aquatic lizard, Zedus is capable of swimming underwater as well as moving on land.
Zedus can use his claws, teeth, and tail in combat.
Zedus shrugged off a close-range fireball attack from Toto, although it did cause him to retreat.
Zedus first appeared at a height of 30 meters when he reached Shima, but after being defeated by Toto he retreated. When he reached Nagoya his height, length and mass had all nearly doubled.
- CR Gamera (2009) - Pachinko
Gamera 2006: Hard Link
Zedus makes a brief appearance in this manga, being mentioned by the main characters.
- Main article: Zedus/Gallery.
- Zedus is the only kaiju in the Heisei era of the Gamera franchise who cannot fly.
- Zedus is featured in multiple tie-in books for Gamera the Brave. In one, Zedus develops wings and the ability to fly, and in another he leads several of Gamera's foes from the Showa series..
- Originally, the villain of Gamera the Brave was intended to be a squid-like kaiju with tentacles, but the filmmakers felt this would be too similar to Viras, so it was decided to create an original reptilian monster as Toto's opponent instead. In order to differentiate Zedus from monsters like Barugon and Jiger, it was decided to make him walk bipedally rather than quadrupedally.
- Zedus was portrayed by accomplished suit actor Mizuho Yoshida, who is perhaps most well-known for portraying half of the Mother Legion in Gamera 2: Attack of Legion and Godzilla in Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.
This is a list of references for Zedus. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 43 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.