The War in Space
The year is 1988, and Earth is recovering from a comet near-miss which released an electromagnetic wave that interfered with some of Earth's technology. Pilot Koji Miyoshi of the J.A.S.D.F. returns home to Japan in response to this incident, only to find that there are much more worse matters to deal with, with the sudden arrival of the Messiah 13 Aliens and their warships.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Jun Fukuda
- Written by Shuichi Nagahara and Ryuzo Nakanishi
- Produced by Tomoyuki Tanaka and Fumio Tanaka
- Music by Toshiaki Tsushima
- Cinematography by Yuzuru Aizawa
- Edited by Michiko Ikeda
- Production Design Kazuo Satsuya
- Assistant Directing by Kyohei Imamura, Okihiro Yoneda
- Special Effects by Teruyoshi Nakano, Toshimitsu Oneda, Takeshi Yamamoto, Yasuyuki Inoue and Takesaburo Watanabe
- Assitant Directer of Special Effects Koichi Kawakita
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Kensaku Morita as Koji Miyoshi
- Yuko Asano as Jun Takigawa
- Ryo Ikebe as Masato Takigawa
- Katsutoshi Atarashi as Tadashi Mikasa
- Masaya Oki as Reisuke Muroi
- Hiroshi Miyauchi as Kazuo Fuyuki
- Goro Mutsumi as Commander Hell
- Hideji Otaki as Doctor Matsuzawa
- Akihiko Hirata as Oshi, Defense Countermeasure Supreme Commander
- William Ross as Dr. Schmidt
- Isao Hashimoto as Research Worker
- Koichi Yoshida as Gohten Controller
- Junichi Kudo as Gohten Pilot
- Susumu Otani as Gohten Pilot
- Shoji Nakayama as Staff Officer
- David Perin as Jimmy
Weapons, Vehicles, and Races
- Main article: The War in Space/Gallery.
- Main article: The War in Space (Soundtrack).
- Great Planet War (惑星大戦争; Japan)
- Great Planet War: THE WAR IN SPACE (惑星大戦争 ＴＨＥ ＷＡＲ ＩＮ ＳＰＡＣＥ; Japan)
- War in Space (La Guerre De L'Espace; France)
- Galaxies Year 2000 (Galaxias Año 2000; Spain)
- Space War (Guerra Spaziale; Italy)
- UFOs Coming! (UFO'Erne Kommer!; Denmark)
- The Great War of the Planets (Der große Krieg der Planeten; West Germany)
- Cosmo 2000: The Planet Without a Name (America)
- Battle in Outer Space II (America, Japanese Working Title)
- War of the Planets (America)
- Japan - December 17, 1977
- West Germany - January 18, 1978
- France - March 8, 1978
- Denmark - March 27, 1978
- Sweden - June 26, 1978
- Spain - July 21, 1978
- Finland - August 7, 1978
- Portugal - October 10, 1979
- Region: 2
- Discs: 1
- Audio: Japanese
- Region: 1
- Discs: 1
- Audio: Japanese (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono and Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
- Special Features: Teruyoshi Nakano interview (32 minutes), booklet, gallery of production and publicity stills
- Notes: Out of print.
Though The War in Space is not available on Blu-ray, an HD version can be rented or purchased on the Japanese versions of Amazon Video and iTunes.
- The War in Space was originally meant to be titled "Battle in Outer Space II" and was supposed to be a sequel to Battle in Outer Space. But, this idea was scrapped during production.
- The film uses stock footage from Battle in Outer Space, The Last War, Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Submersion of Japan, and Prophecies of Nostradamus.
This is a list of references for The War in Space. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 0 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.