Monster Seafood Wars (2020)
|This article concerns a recently-released film or other piece of media.
More information will be added to the article as it becomes available.
You'd be a baka uma to eat these monsters!! (この怪獣、食べたらバカウマ!!)
Squid, octopus and crab monsters turn the National Stadium into a seafood bowl!! (イカ・タコ・カニ怪獣で国立競技場を海鮮丼にせよ！！)
Monster Seafood Wars (三大怪獣グルメ is a San Daikaijū Gurume, lit. Three Monsters Gourmet)tokusatsu kaiju film co-produced by Dentsu, Takeshobo, Mobacon, Pal Entertainments and Rivertop. Loosely based on an unmade film featuring a giant octopus which was proposed by Eiji Tsuburaya prior to production of Godzilla, it was released to Japanese theaters on June 6, 2020, becoming the first kaiju film of the new decade. Its international premiere will take place at the virtual Fantasia Festival.
|“||Yuta, a young master at the Tsukiji Fish Market, accidentally drops his meal of mixed seafood into the Sumida River. Some time afterwards a gigantic mutated squid monster arises from the depths and begins to wreak havoc upon an awe-stricken Tokyo. Attempts by the Japan Self-Defense Forces to stop the creature prove futile. As it seems things couldn’t get any worse an enormous mutant octopus monster emerges from the deep and heads into a clash of the titans with the gargantuan squid!
As a last ditch effort, the government forms the “Seafood Monster Attack Team (SMAT)” and an all-new plan of attack is immediately put into action. But just as the tide appears to be turning in humanity’s favor, a colossal crab monster appears, joining in the Monster Seafood Wars and plunging the world into culinary chaos…
Principal photography of Monster Seafood Wars took place in September of 2019, while filming of special effects sequences began that October.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Minoru Kawasaki
- Supervised by Masayuki Kusumi
- Written by Migita Masakazu, Minoru Kawasaki
- Based on a story by Eiji Tsuburaya
- Executive producer Minoru Kawasaki
- Director of special effects Minoru Kawasaki
- Keisuke Ueda
- Ayano Yoshida Christie
- Yuya Asato
- Shojiro Yokoi
- Reon Kurosaki
- Gota Ihashi
- Satoshi Kobayashi
- Paradise Yamamoto
- Ukulele Eiji
- Kei Grant
- Asato Izumi
- HEY! TakuChan
- Tomotaka Imamichi
- Yasuhiro Takeda
- Terumi Yoshida
- Hide Fukumoto
- Tenshin Yamamoto
- Toru Muranishi
- Eiichi Kikuchi
- Masami Horiuchi
- Ryo Kinomoto
- Masayuki Kusumi
- Main article: Monster Seafood Wars/Gallery.
- Three Monsters Gourmet (literal Japanese title; alternate English title)
- Monster Gourmet (alternate English title)
- Monster Cuisine (alternate English title)
- Japan - June 6, 2020
On September 30, 2019, a Monster Seafood Wars web comic illustrated by Nobuyuki Hori began being released through Web Comic Gamma. It concluded on January 20, 2020 after 6 episodes:
- 1. "Giant Monsters Appear!!" 巨大怪獣現る!!
- 2. "The Giant Crab's Attack!!" 巨大蟹猛襲!!
- 3. "Exquisite! The Monster Feast" 絶品！怪獣食の宴
- 6. "God Only Knows" 神のみぞ知る
- The Seafood Monster Attack Team is likely named after the Monster Attack Team from Return of Ultraman, though the former is spelled in katakana rather than kanji.
- Monster Seafood Wars may serve as an homage to the 1970 film, Space Amoeba, as it features giant squid and crab monsters similar to Gezora and Ganimes. Promotional art for the film even seems to reference Space Amoeba's theatrical poster, with Ikara flipping Kanira over his head, similar to the poses pulled by Gezora and Kamoebas.
- In one concept illustration, the Seafood Monsters' appearances are based directly off anthropomorphic animal characters from two of director Minoru Kawasaki's previous films, The Calamari Wrestler (2004) and Kani Goalkeeper (2006).
This is a list of references for Monster Seafood Wars. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 6 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.
<comments voting="Plus" />