Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1998)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters is a 1998 BBC documentary on Godzilla's history and the character's allegorical meaning. In a pre-title sequence, Godzilla rampages through London, tearing off the top of Big Ben and targeting the Television Centre (then the BBC's headquarters) with his atomic breath. It first aired on July 11, 1998, six days before GODZILLA premiered in the United Kingdom. Though never released on home video, interviewee Tony Luke uploaded an 480p archive copy to YouTube on April 20, 2014.
Films and TV shows featured
- King Kong (1933)
- The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)
- Godzilla (1954)
- Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
- Rodan (1956)
- Mothra (1961)
- King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
- Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
- Ultra Q (TV 1966)
- Ultraman (TV 1966-67)
- Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
- King Kong Escapes (1967)
- Son of Godzilla (1967)
- Destroy All Monsters (1968)
- Gamera vs. Guiron (1969)
- All Monsters Attack (1969)
- Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
- The Return of Godzilla (1984)
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993) [behind the scenes only]
- Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
- GODZILLA (1998)
- Rebirth of Mothra III (1998) [behind the scenes only]
- Main article: Godzilla, King of the Monsters (documentary)/Credits.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Produced by Nick Freand Jones
- Cinematography by Mark Molesworth, Roger De Giacomi, Tony Bragg
- Edited by Jan Deas, Nick Carroll
- Fiona Bull, visual effects producer
- Alex Cox, director
- Dean Devlin, producer
- Roland Emmerich, director
- Jun Fukuda, director
- Stuart Galbraith IV, author and film historian
- Kimi Honda, wife of director Ishiro Honda
- Akira Ifukube, composer
- Akira Kubo, actor
- Tony Luke, mangaka and director
- Haruo Nakajima, kaiju suit actor
- August Ragone, tokusatsu historian
- Kenji Sahara, actor
- Kenpachiro Satsuma, kaiju suit actor
- Koichi Takano, special effects director
- Patrick Tatopoulos, creature designer
- Kazuo Tsuburaya, president of Tsuburaya Productions from 1995 to 2003
- Yoshio Tsuchiya, actor
- Noriaki Yuasa, director
- Godzilla, King of the Monsters erroneously credits Haruo Nakajima with playing Godzilla from 1954 to 1975; his final film as the character was 1972's Godzilla vs. Gigan.
- Tony Luke erroneously states that Godzilla destroyed Tokyo Tower in his original film; the structure would not be completed until 1958.
- In his YouTube upload of the documentary, Luke states that Jun Fukuda "[sneaked] the [BBC] camera crew onto Toho's backlot," presumably to shoot behind-the-scenes footage of Rebirth of Mothra III, which had yet to be released when the documentary premiered.
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.