Princess from the Moon (1987)
||This article is under construction.|
Princess from the Moon (竹取物語 is a 1987 Taketori Monogatari, lit. The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter)Japanese tokusatsu fantasy film co-produced by Toho and Fuji TV. It is an adaptation of The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, a Japanese fairy tale. It was released to Japanese theaters on September 26, 1987.
A poor country couple has just lost their only child. The father sees a strange storm and decides to walk into the forest, and he finds something he did not expect: a strange blue cocoon. Inside he finds a small girl with big blue eyes. The couple then raises her as their own daughter.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Kon Ichikawa
- Written by Ryuzo Kikushima, Mitsutoshi Ishigami, Shinya Hidaka, Kon Ichikawa
- Produced by Tomoyuki Tanaka, Shigeaki Hazama
- Music by Kensaku Tanikawa, Peter Cetera
- Cinematography by Setsuo Kobayashi
- Edited by Chizuko Osada
- Assistant Directing by Masaaki Tezuka, Kazuo Yoshida
- Special Effects by Teruyoshi Nakano
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Toshiro Mifune as Taketori-no-Miyatsuko
- Ayako Wakao as Tayoshime
- Yasuko Sawaguchi as Kaya, the Princess Kaguya
- Koji Ishizaka as Mikado
- Kichi Nakai as Otomo-no-Dainagon, Minister of the Military
- Megumi Odaka as Akeno
- Katsuo Nakamura as Lise
- Takeshi Katō as Fujiwara-no-Okuni
- Kyoko Kishida as Kougo
- Jun Hamamura as Sakanoue-no-Dajo-Daijin
- Koasa Shunpitei as Kuramochi-no-Miko or Minister of Culture
- Takatoshi Takeda as Abe-no-Udaijin or Minister of Finance
- Shiro Ito as Sojo-no-Doson
- Fujio Tokita as Shonin-no-Uda
- Hirokazu Yamaguchi as Metal Carver
- Gen Idemitsu] as Mura-no-Choja
- Michiyo Yokoyama as Lise's Wife
- Hirokazu Inoue as Ono-no-Fusamori
- Miho Nakano as Kaya
- Main article: Princess from the Moon/Gallery.
- Main article: Princess from the Moon (Soundtrack).
- The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (Literal Japanese Title)
- Japan - September 26, 1987
Princess from the Moon earned only approximately 1.45 billion yen at the Japanese box office, with a budget estimated around 2 billion yen.
Despite disappointing box office returns, Princess from the Moon was nominated for and won several Japanese Academy Awards.
Actress Megumi Odaka won the Japanese Academy Award for "Newcomer of the Year" for her role as Akeno in this film. The film also received awards for "Best Art Direction" and the Academy's "Special Award." Princess for the Moon was nominated for "Best Picture," "Best Director," "Best Cinematography," "Best Editing," "Best Lighting," "Best Score," "Best Sound," and "Best Supporting Actor."
- Princess from the Moon was the first film for actress Megumi Odaka, who would go on to appear as Miki Saegusa in the Heisei Godzilla films, starting with Godzilla vs. Biollante two years later.
- Princess from the Moon was the last film for special effects director Teruyoshi Nakano, who served as the director of special effects in most of Toho's tokusatsu productions following Eiji Tsuburaya's death. Nakano retired from directing following this film at the age of 42.
Showing 0 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.