Godzilla vs. Hedorah (2021)
|Godzilla Fest short films|
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (ゴジラVSヘドラ is a Gojira tai Hedora)2021 short film directed by Kazuhiro Nakagawa for Godzilla Fest 2021, and a follow-up to the previous year's Godzilla Appears at Godzilla Fest. It celebrates the 50th anniversary of the feature-length Godzilla film of the same name.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Emerging in an oil refinery on a clear day, Hedorah begins menacing the refinery workers by firing its sulfuric acid mist and pieces of its body at the surrounding area, then begins consuming pollutants by inhaling smoke from one of the refinery's smokestacks. Godzilla interrupts it and the two kaiju trade blows, wrecking numerous buildings in the complex in the process. Godzilla unleashes his atomic breath, but Hedorah avoids it, then knocks him to the ground and sprays him with mist, burning his left eye. Godzilla kicks Hedorah into some power lines, the electricity weakening the Smog Monster. As Hedorah struggles to recover, Godzilla gets to his feet and obliterates it with a blast of atomic breath. Triumphant, he stomps away.
Staff[edit | edit source]
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Kazuhiro Nakagawa
- Executive producer Keiji Ota
- Produced by Kota Ishizuka
- Planning by Tetsuya Yoshikawa
- Stock music by Akira Ifukube, Riichiro Manabe, Keith Emerson
- Cinematography by Yutaka Adachi
- Edited by Kazuhiro Nakagawa
- Production design by Kohei Sugiyama, Tsukimi Uehara, Kenichi Matsumoto
- Storyboards by Kazuhiro Nakagawa
- Suits modeled by Shinichi Wakasa
- Fluid graphics by Akiko Nakayama
Cast[edit | edit source]
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
Godzilla vs. Hedorah was shot on a raised set built in a parking lot behind Toho Studios on September 23 and 24, 2021. Both monsters were portrayed by suits originally built by Shinichi Wakasa for Godzilla Final Wars in 2004. The Godzilla suit was a lighter secondary suit intended for action scenes and lacked a radio-controlled jaw; instead, it was manipulated with a wire. The poor condition of the Hedorah suit necessitated multiple repairs during production. Yoshikazu Ishii, an assistant special effects director for Final Wars, assisted Yasushi Iwata with the pyrotechnics.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (short film)/Gallery.
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- While pronounced the same, this short's Japanese title is distinguished from that of the original Godzilla vs. Hedorah by its use of the English "VS" (similar to the Heisei Godzilla films), rather than the kanji 対 (tai).
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for Godzilla vs. Hedorah (short film). These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 18 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.