Godzilla vs. Hedorah (2021)
|Godzilla Fest short films|
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (ゴジラVSヘドラ is a Gojira tai Hedora)2021 short film directed by Kazuhiro Nakagawa. Funded by TOHO Visual Entertainment and produced by Cine Bazar, it celebrates the 50th anniversary of the feature-length Godzilla film of the same name. It is the second in Nakagawa's "Fest Godzilla" series of shorts produced yearly for Godzilla Fest, coming after 2020's Godzilla Appears at Godzilla Fest and being followed up by Fest Godzilla 3: Gigan Attacks in 2022. It premiered during Godzilla Fest 2021 on November 3, 2021 and was posted to YouTube the same day, but later privated.
Appearing at an oil refinery in the Keihin Industrial Zone on a clear day, Hedorah begins menacing the refinery workers by firing its sulfuric acid mist and pieces of its body at the surrounding area, then begins consuming pollutants by inhaling smoke from one of the refinery's smokestacks. Godzilla interrupts it and the two kaiju trade blows, wrecking numerous buildings in the complex in the process. Godzilla unleashes his atomic breath, but Hedorah avoids it, then knocks him to the ground and sprays him with mist, burning his left eye. Godzilla kicks Hedorah into some power lines, the electricity weakening the Smog Monster. As Hedorah struggles to recover, Godzilla gets to his feet and obliterates it with a blast of atomic breath. Triumphant, he stomps away.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Kazuhiro Nakagawa
- Executive producer Keiji Ota
- Produced by Kota Ishizuka
- Planning by Tetsuya Yoshikawa
- Stock music by Akira Ifukube, Riichiro Manabe, Keith Emerson
- Cinematography by Yutaka Adachi
- Edited by Kazuhiro Nakagawa
- Production design by Kohei Sugiyama, Tsukimi Uehara, Kenichi Matsumoto
- Storyboards by Kazuhiro Nakagawa
- Suits modeled by Shinichi Wakasa
- Fluid graphics by Akiko Nakayama
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Naoya Matsumoto as Godzilla
- Hikaru Yoshida as Hedorah
Godzilla vs. Hedorah was shot on a raised set built in a parking lot behind Toho Studios on September 23 and 24, 2021. Both monsters were portrayed by suits originally built by Shinichi Wakasa for Godzilla Final Wars in 2004. The Godzilla suit was a lighter secondary suit intended for action scenes and lacked a radio-controlled jaw; instead, it was manipulated with a wire. As Godzilla's tail had not been shown during the previous year's Godzilla Fest short film, Godzilla Appears at Godzilla Fest, the filmmakers ensured that it appeared this time. The poor condition of the Hedorah suit necessitated multiple repairs during production. Yoshikazu Ishii, an assistant special effects director for Final Wars, assisted Yasushi Iwata with the pyrotechnics.
- Main article: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (short film)/Gallery.
Godzilla vs. Hedorah played before Fathom Events screenings of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla on November 3, 2022, accompanied by a behind-the-scenes featurette.
- While pronounced the same, this short's Japanese title is distinguished from that of the original Godzilla vs. Hedorah by its use of the English "VS" (similar to the Heisei Godzilla films), rather than the kanji 対 (tai).
This is a list of references for Godzilla vs. Hedorah (short film). These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 21 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.