The Great Actress Reiko Inui (2019)
The Great Actress Reiko Inui (大女優 乾麗子 is a Ōjoyū Inui Reiko)2019 Japanese comedy short film written and directed by Kazuhiro Nakagawa. It was first uploaded to YouTube on September 24, 2019, though the video was later privated and a new upload appeared on January 13, 2021. Its festival debut was held remotely through the Sapporo International Short Film Festival between October 10 and 31, 2020 and it was later shown in the United States at G-Fest XXVII on July 17, 2022. The film follows a timid new director as he attempts to win over a famous actress cast in his debut feature, a kaiju film.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Renowned, ageless performer Reiko Inui walks onto the set of Gorgaga, the Giant Monster with a full entourage, including an assistant to disinfect the air in front of her. Today's scene calls for her to scream in terror as she is gripped by the King Kong-like Gorgaga, but she is dismayed by rookie director Yuichi Igawa's antiseptic set. Rather than a full-scale hand prop, she is meant to act opposite two actors in green screen suits wrapping her in a single green finger, with the monster's head waved around on a metal pole off-camera to show her where to look. After a disastrous first take, she threatens to walk off the set. Second assistant director Suguru Nemoto intervenes by fulfilling her every demand for references on his tablet: rushes from the tokusatsu unit, Gorgaga's roar, reaction shots from her costars, storyboards, and even the scene in which the Japanese government announces Gorgaga's name. Thus inspired, she returns to the set and gives a masterful performance, so convincing that she and Igawa imagine Gorgaga standing in front of them. After he calls cut, she shakes his hand and departs with her entourage.
Staff[edit | edit source]
- Main article: The Great Actress Reiko Inui/Credits.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Kazuhiro Nakagawa
- Written by Kazuhiro Nakagawa
- Produced by Tetsuya Oya, Yoshiki Soejima
- Music by Yuji Iwamoto
- Cinematography by Heita Tanaka
- Edited by Kazuhiro Nakagawa
- 1st assistant director Shinya Namikawa
- Visual effects by Koichi Hirata, Naotaro Takahashi, Shuntaro Ono, Anni Ushio
Cast[edit | edit source]
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Eima Tanaka as Yuichi Igawa, new director
- Kazuki Takeuchi as Suguru Nemoto, Igawa's 2nd AD
- Kanako Yamamoto as Reiko Inui, famous actress
- Akihisa Muramoto, Shoko Hotta as Inui's entourage
- Hitoshi Miyazawa as actor playing onlooker / Gorgaga
- Kohei Ando as actor playing old professor
- Kaidaio as cameraman
- Zenken Miyazato as director of photography
- Yu Yasuda as boom operator
- Yudai Mitomi as best boy
- Kazuhiro Nanba, Koichiro Takashima, Sae Sugawara as stuntmen
- Etsuko Egawa as Inui's makeup artist
- Takahiro Nakayama as assistant makeup artist
- Makoto Sogo as veteran stylist
- Riri Sunago as assistant stylist
- Kayo Miyashita as script girl
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for The Great Actress Reiko Inui. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.