The 12 Day Tale of the Monster that Died in 8 (2020)
|This article concerns a recently-released film or other piece of media.
More information will be added to the article as it becomes available.
The 12 Day Tale of the Monster that Died in 8 (8日で死んだ怪獣の12日の物語 is a Yōka de Shinda Kaijū no Jūninichi no Monogatari)2020 kaiju film produced by Japanese Movie Channel and Rockwell Eyes. Initially uploaded to YouTube as a web series from May 19 to May 30, 2020, it was expanded for a Japanese theatrical release on July 31, 2020, distributed by No Man's Nose. It was one of the first feature-length films made entirely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Plot[edit | edit source]
|This plot section is useless.
Please help out by editing this page and adding the plot.
Staff[edit | edit source]
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Shunji Iwai
- Written by Shunji Iwai
- Based on a story by Shinji Higuchi
- Produced by Tomoyuki Miyakawa, Aki Mizuno
- Music by Toru Fuyuki, ikire
- Theme song "Off to Phántasien" performed by Kyoko Koizumi, ikire
Cast[edit | edit source]
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Takumi Saito as Himself
- Rena Nonen as Herself
- So Takei as So Okamoto
- Moeka Hoshi as Kasu Moe
- Shinji Higuchi as Himself
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
- Windom, Miclas, Agira, Gudon, Balloonga (mentioned)
- Alien Guts (photo)
- Toys of Leatherback, Trespasser, Knifehead, Varan, Hedorah, Gigan, Titanosaurus, Mechagodzilla, Baragon, Moguera, Godzilla, and many others
Development[edit | edit source]
The 12 Day Tale of the Monster that Died in 8 evolved out of Kaiju Defeat COVID, an online challenge started by Shinji Higuchi. As described by Mark Schilling in The Japan Times, "The idea is to 'catch' an invisible monster (Higuchi thoughtfully demonstrates), 'magically' fuse it with your own monster and send the now strengthened beast hurling toward the camera (but not, Higuchi reminds us, hitting it) to crush the virus."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Main article: The 12 Day Tale of the Monster that Died in 8/Gallery.
Theatrical releases[edit | edit source]
- Japan - July 31, 2020
Video releases[edit | edit source]
Video Maker Blu-ray (2021)
- Region: A; compatibility with other regions unknown
- Discs: 2
- Audio: Japanese (5.1 Surround)
- Subtitles: Japanese
- Bonus features: Making-of feature (107 minutes), five music videos (18 minutes), trailer and TV spot, one of two possible kaiju masks, theater map, postcard
Videos[edit | edit source]
Web series[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The 12 Day Tale of the Monster that Died in 8 is the first black and white kaiju film since Gamera in 1965.
- Saito's capsule kaiju are named after medications under study as COVID-19 treatments: the antiviral medicines Avigan and Remdesivir and the antiparasitic medicine Ivermectin. The concept of capsule kaiju itself comes from the TV series Ultraseven; accordingly, Saito sculpts his creatures into the faces of Miclas, Windom, and Agira.
- Posters for Submersion of Japan and Nessie are visible in Shinji Higuchi's home, while countless kaiju toys fill his shelves.
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for The 12 Day Tale of the Monster that Died in 8. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 1 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.