There's a monster in all of us.
Colossal is a 2016 Spanish-Canadian giant monster movie written and directed by Nacho Vigalondo and starring Anne Hathaway, Jason Sudeikis, Dan Stevens, Austin Stowell, and Tim Blake Nelson. It premiered on September 9th, 2016, at the Toronto International Film Festival, and began a limited theatrical release on April 7th, 2017.
Gloria (Anne Hathaway) is an out-of-work party girl who finds herself in relationship trouble with her sensible boyfriend, Tim (Dan Stevens), and is forced to move back to her tiny hometown to get her life back on track. She reconnects with childhood friend Oscar (Jason Sudeikis), a good-natured bar owner with a coterie of drinking buddies (Tim Blake Nelson and Austin Stowell), and resumes her drinking lifestyle.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, a larger-than-life creature begins attacking Seoul, South Korea on a nightly basis, captivating spectators around the world. One night, Gloria is horrified to discover that her every move at a local playground is being mimicked on a catastrophic scale by the rampaging beast. When Gloria's friends get wind of the bizarre phenomenon, a second, more destructive creature emerges, prompting an epic showdown between the two monsters.
|This plot section is useless.
Please help out by editing this page and adding the plot.
To be added.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Nacho Vigalondo
- Written by Nacho Vigalondo
- Produced by Zev Foreman, Nahikari Ipiña, Russell Levine, Dominic Rustam
- Executive producing by Garrett Basch, Justin Bursch, Jonathan Deckter, Christopher Lytton, Nacho Vigalondo, Shawn Williamson
- Music by Bear McCreary
- Cinematography by Eric Kress
- Edited by Ben Baudhuin, Luke Doolan
- Production design by Sue Chan
- Assistant directing by Tim Sereda, Alex Burnett, Ryan MacInnes
- Special effects by Robert Musnicki, Jak Osmond
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Anne Hathaway as Gloria
- Jason Sudekis as Oscar
- Dan Stevens as Tim
- Austin Stowell as Joel
- Tim Blake Nelson as Garth
- Agam Darshi as Ash
- Rukiya Bernard as Maggie
- Hannah Cheramy as Young Gloria
- Miho Suzuki as News Reporter
- Sarah Surh as Mother
- Christine Lee as Seoul Waitress
- Andrew Tait as Bar Patron
- Eoin Bates as Bar Guy (uncredited)
Weapons, vehicles, and races
Director Nacho Vigalondo first announced that he had written a script for "the cheapest Godzilla movie ever" after a screening of his film Open Windows at FrightFest 2014 in London. The Hollywood Reporter announced that Anne Hathaway had been cast as the lead on May 12, 2015.
Voltage Pictures was sued by Toho over the film for allegedly infringing on the Japanese studios's ownership of Godzilla. In its complaint, Toho cited pictures of and references to Godzilla in materials sent to potential investors and distributors at the the 2015 Cannes Film Festival, along with Vigalondo's comments at Frightfest. A settlement was reached on October 30, 2015, for an undisclosed sum of money. Changes made to the script as a result of the lawsuit are unknown, though it likely caused the location of the kaiju attacks to switch from Tokyo to Seoul.
Principal photography for Colossal began on October 18, 2015, in Vancouver, and wrapped on November 25, 2015. A second unit filmed in Seoul.
- Main article: Colossal/Gallery.
- Main article: Colossal (Soundtrack).
- Girl and Monster (Tüdruk ja Koletis; Estonia)
- She's a Monster (Ella es un Monstruo; Mexico)
- Colossal: an Uncontrollable Monster (Colosal: Un Monstruo Incontrolable; Peru)
- Monster (Monstrum; Poland)
- My Girlfriend is a Monster (Моя девушка - монстр; Russia and Ukraine)
- Giantess (Velikanka; Slovenia)
- Synchronized Monster (シンクロナイズドモンスター; Japan)
- Greece - April 6, 2017
- India - April 7, 2017
- United States - April 7, 2017
- Australia - April 13, 2017
- Croatia - April 20, 2017
- Kuwait - April 20, 2017
- South Korea - April 20, 2017
- Canada - April 21, 2017
- Taiwan - April 21, 2017
- Vietnam - April 21, 2017
- Georgia - April 27, 2017
- Russia - April 27, 2017
- Ukraine - April 27, 2017
- Estonia - April 28, 2017
- Peru - May 4, 2017
- Philippines - May 17, 2017
- Portugal - May 18, 2017
- United Kingdom - May 19, 2017
- Ireland - May 19, 2017
- Argentina - June 1, 2017
- Singapore - June 8, 2017
- Brazil - June 15, 2017
- Chile - June 15, 2017
- Mexico - June 16, 2017
- Israel - June 22, 2017
- Hong Kong - July 27, 2017
- Indonesia - September 1, 2017
- Japan - November 3, 2017
Colossal currently has a 80% Certified Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 220 reviews. The site's Critical Consensus reads, "Colossal's singular strangeness can be disorienting, but viewers who hang on may find that its genre-defying execution -- and Anne Hathaway's performance -- is well worth the ride."
|Austin Fantastic Fest||Best Picture - Fantastic Features||Nacho Vigalondo||Won|
|Film Club's The Lost Weekend||Best Supporting Actor||Jason Sudeikis||Won|
|Best Director||Nacho Vigalondo||Won|
|International Online Cinema Awards||Best Sound Editing||Mark Gingras||Nominated|
|Neuchâtel International Fantastic Film Festival||Best European Fantastic Feature Film||Nacho Vigalondo||Nominated|
|The Joey Awards, Vancouver||Best Actress in a Feature Film Supporting Role||Hannah Cheramy||Nominated|
Universal DVD/Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD (2017)
- Region: 1 (DVD); A/1 (Blu-ray)
- Audio: English (Dolby Digital 5.1 for the DVD; DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 for the Blu-ray)
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
- Special features: Deleted scene (4 minutes)
- Official site
- Official Twitter account
- Official Facebook page
- Official Instagram account
- Toho's legal complaint
- Settlement between Toho and Voltage
This is a list of references for Colossal. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 27 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.