Daigoro vs. Goliath (1972)
Daigoro vs. Goliath (怪獣大奮戦 ダイゴロウ対ゴリアス is a Kaijū Daifunsen Daigorō tai Goriasu, lit. Great Desperate Monster Battle: Daigoro Against Goliath)1972 tokusatsu kaiju film. The film was produced as a collaboration between Tsuburaya Productions and Toho and was released to Japanese theaters on December 17, 1972.
Daigoro is a monster who became orphaned after the military used Intercontinental missiles to kill his mother, who did what she could to protect him. Only one man stood up to that call. He pitied the child, and took the infant as his own to Japan and raised him there. Soon Daigoro grew too big for a man to take care of, since he needed feeding too often. This caused the man to make Daigoro an icon for a business so he could be fed. Elsewhere, a monster named Goliath crashed to Earth. The two monsters engaged in battle. Daigoro did his best to stand his ground, but Goliath defeated him by striking him with lightning from his horn. Goliath then left to test his power against the world, leaving Daigoro to die. However, Daigoro recovered and practiced daily for his next battle against Goliath. After an intense fight Daigoro breathed his fire ray and managed to defeat Goliath. The humans then grabbed Goliath while he was weak, and strapped him to a rocket to blast into space.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Toshihiro Iijima
- Written by Kitao Chiba
- Produced by Hajime Tsuburaya and Sai Manda
- Music by Toru Fuyuki
- Cinematography by Yuzo Inagaki
- Special Effects by Jun Oki and Minoru Nakano
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Shinsuke Minami as Goro Kizawa
- Kazuya Kosaka as Saito
- Akiji Koboyashi as Hitoshi Suzuki
- Hachiro Misumi as Goro Hachi
- Jun Hamamura as Doctor
- Hideo Sunazuka as Middle-Aged Man
- Masao Komatsu
- Kiyoshi Hitomi as Newscaster
- Fusako Amachi as Yoshiko
- Reiko Hitomi as Umeko Onisawa
- Miyako Tasaka as Woman
- Chizuko Tashiro as Saito's Girlfriend
- Daisuke Wakamiya as Grandfather
- Hajime Imamura as Father
- Hisao Sasaki, Hiroshi Ikaida, Tsutomu Yamadera as Zookeeper
- Shigeru Tsuji as Assistant
- Katsumi Ishiyama as Zookeeper Boss
- Tomonori Yazaki as Taro
- Koichi Murata, Shigeyuki Sunouchi, Stanley Furnace, Kyoko Kawai, Kyoko Ito as Kids
- Hiroshi Inuzuka as Uncle
- Taiyu Wakamiya
- Geru Tsujishi
- Tetsuo Yamamura as Daigoro
- Hisashi Kato as Goliath
Weapons, Vehicles, and Races
- Great Desperate Monster Battle: Daigoro vs. Goliath (Literal Japanese Title)
- The Monsters' Desperate Battle: Daigoro vs. Goliath (Alternate Translation)
Daigoro vs. Goliath has never received an official release in any form in the United States. However, the fansub group Hi no Tori translated the film into English in 2011.
DVD and Blu-ray Releases
Though Daigoro vs. Goliath is not available on Blu-ray, an HD version can be rented or purchased on the Japanese version of Amazon Video.
- This is one of the few non-Ultraman kaiju movies not to be released outside of Japan.
- Ultraman is mentioned in the film when a man is lifted into the air by mechanical arms. He jokes that he is Ultraman, implying that the show exists in this movie's universe.
- Godzilla vs. Redmoon, a cancelled Tsuburaya-Toho co-production, was planned for release around the same time, although it is unknown which project came first.
- Daigoro vs. Goliath was released at the 1972 Winter Toho Champion Film Festival alongside a reissue of Destroy All Monsters and an animated film called Panda! Go Panda.
This is a list of references for Daigoro vs. Goliath. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 0 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.