The Reiwa series (令和シリーズ is a term used to identify Reiwa shirīzu)Godzilla films produced by Toho Company Ltd. just before the start of the current political era of Japan, the Reiwa era or Reiwa period (令和時代. Currently, this includes Reiwa Jidai)Shin Godzilla and the GODZILLA anime trilogy, though as with most of the films in the Millennium series, they do not share continuity. The time span of the Reiwa era overlaps with Legendary Pictures' MonsterVerse, but they are considered distinct series because they are produced by different studios.
In 2004, Toho announced that Godzilla: Final Wars, the sixth and final entry in the Millennium series, would be the last Godzilla film for a period of at least ten years. In 2014, the American studio Legendary Pictures produced Godzilla, which would kick off the studio's MonsterVerse series of films. Toho in the meantime had begun pre-production on its next Godzilla film, and hired Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi to write and direct the film. Following the financial success of Legendary's film, Toho formally announced production of its new film. Shin Godzilla was released in 2016, and was a considerable critical and financial success. Whether or not a sequel to Shin Godzilla or another live-action Toho Godzilla film will be released in the near future remains to be seen. However, the terms of Toho's contract with Legendary dictate that they cannot produce another live-action Godzilla film until after Godzilla vs. Kong is released in 2020. Toho's Chief Godzilla Officer, Keiji Ota, has stated that the company has no plans for a Shin Godzilla 2 but instead plans to launch a cinematic universe featuring Godzilla and the company's other monsters following the expiration of its contract with Legendary in 2020.
- Shin Godzilla (2016)
GODZILLA Anime Trilogy
Following the release of Shin Godzilla, Toho Animation announced that it would be partnering with animation studio Polygon Pictures to produce the first-ever animated Godzilla film, tentatively scheduled for a 2017 theatrical release in Japan. In March 2017, Toho revealed the film's title, GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters, and that it would be the first entry in a trilogy of anime Godzilla films. GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters was released to Japanese theaters in November 2017. The second entry was released in May 2018, followed by the third film was released in November 2018. All three films became available to stream internationally on Netflix exactly two months after their Japanese theatrical premieres.
- GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters (2017)
- GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle (2018)
- GODZILLA: The Planet Eater (2018)
In an interview with Hidden Remote published on July 27, 2019, Toho's Head of Project Development, Akito Takahashi, stated that while he had no specific plans to share about the future of the Godzilla series after Godzilla vs. Kong, Toho had not ruled out co-productions with Legendary Pictures or new animated projects.
Officially licensed tie-in media for the Reiwa Godzilla films has been released.
- The Art of Shin Godzilla - Art book for Shin Godzilla
- Shin Godzilla Walker: The New Legend of the King of the Monsters & Shin Godzilla Walker: Perfect Form - Encyclopedias covering the Godzilla franchise with a specific focus on Shin Godzilla
- GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse - Prequel novel to GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters
- GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters - Manga adaptation of the film
- GODZILLA: Project Mechagodzilla - Tie-in novel for GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle and follow-up to GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse
- GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters - Novelization of the film and the first half of GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle
- GODZILLA: The Planet Eater - Novelization of the film and the second half of GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle
- Shin Godzilla VR Demo
- Shin Arima
- Grand Summoners - Features Godzilla as a guest character
- Eternal Linkage - Features Godzilla Filius, Godzilla Earth, Shin Godzilla, Servum, Mothra, and Haruo Sakaki as guest characters
- Godzilla Defense Force
- Battle Spirits - BSC26 booster pack includes Shin Godzilla
- Weiß Schwarz - Includes a GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters-themed booster pack
- The Reiwa series is the first series of Godzilla films to include a fully-animated Godzilla film.
- The Reiwa series and MonsterVerse mark the first-ever instance of two series of Godzilla films running concurrently.
This is a list of references for Reiwa era. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: