|Japanese political periods|
|Godzilla film series|
The Reiwa era (令和, or Reiwa period Reiwa) (令和時代, is the current political era of Reiwa jidai)Japan which began on May 1, 2019 following the abdication of Emperor Akihito and the ascension of Naruhito. Media produced during this era, such as that of the Godzilla series, may be identified as the Reiwa series (令和シリーズ of their respective franchise. In the case of Godzilla, only one of the films currently categorized in this era will actually be released during the Reiwa era, with the others premiering during the Reiwa shirīzu)Heisei era and being included retroactively. Like the Millennium series before it, the films of the Reiwa series do not share one continuity. The time span of the Reiwa series overlaps with Legendary Pictures' Monsterverse, but they are considered distinct series because they are produced by different studios.
Shin Godzilla and the GODZILLA anime trilogy were first identified as "Reiwa" at Toho International's Godzilla booth during San Diego Comic-Con in 2019, with this classification reiterated in the official 2022 informational book Godzilla: The Official Guide to the King of the Monsters. A new Godzilla anime series entitled Godzilla Singular Point premiered in 2021, the first Godzilla television series to be produced in over 20 years. In 2022, Toho announced that the next Japanese Godzilla film will release on November 3, 2023.
In 2004, Toho announced that Godzilla Final Wars, the sixth and final entry in the Millennium series, would be the last Godzilla film for a period of at least 10 years. In 2014, the American studio Legendary Pictures produced Godzilla, kicking off its Monsterverse media franchise. Toho, in the meantime, had begun pre-production on its own Godzilla film, hiring Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi to helm the project. Following the financial success of Legendary's film, Toho formally announced production of its own film. The movie, titled Shin Godzilla, was released in 2016 to considerable critical and financial success. Toho's Chief Godzilla Officer Keiji Ota later stated in 2018 that, while the company had no plans for a sequel to Shin Godzilla, they were considering creating a new fictional world capable of sustaining multiple new films in the future, in addition to continuing to push the franchise's visibility internationally.
Following the release of Shin Godzilla, Toho Animation announced that it would be partnering with animation studio Polygon Pictures to produce the first-ever animated Godzilla film, tentatively scheduled for a 2017 theatrical release in Japan. In March 2017, Toho revealed the film's title, GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters, and that it would be the first entry in a trilogy. GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters was released to Japanese theaters in November 2017. The second entry, City on the Edge of Battle, was released in May 2018, followed by the third, The Planet Eater, in November 2018. All three films became available to stream internationally on Netflix exactly two months after their Japanese theatrical premieres. Despite being considered part of the Reiwa series, however, Toho does not include the GODZILLA trilogy as numerical entries in the franchise, likely because of their departure from live action; Shin Godzilla was therefore considered to be the 29th and most recent Godzilla film for several years.
- Shin Godzilla (2016)
- GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters (2017)
- GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle (2018)
- GODZILLA: The Planet Eater (2018)
- Godzilla Minus One (2023)
In an interview with Hidden Remote published on July 27, 2019, Toho's Head of Project Development, Akito Takahashi, stated that Toho had not ruled out co-productions with Legendary Pictures or new animated projects.
- "The Faceless Star" (2019) [commercial]
- Godzilla vs. Evangelion: The Real 4-D (2019) [attraction]
- Godzilla Interception Operation Awaji (2020) [attraction]
- Godzilla Appears at Godzilla Fest (2020)
- Godzilla the Ride: Giant Monsters Ultimate Battle (2021) [attraction]
- "The Impact of a Blue Day" (2021) [commercial]
- Godzilla vs. Hedorah (2021)
- Godzilla vs. the Tigers (2022)
- Godzilla vs. Gigan Rex (2022)
- Fest Godzilla 3: Gigan Attacks (2022)
Other Toho films
- God Raiga vs. King Ohga: War of the Monsters (2019)
- Attack of the Giant Teacher (2019)
- Howl from Beyond the Fog (2019)
- The Great Actress Reiko Inui (2019)
- Monster Seafood Wars (2020)
- The 12 Day Tale of the Monster that Died in 8 (2020)
- Nezura 1964 (2021)
- Yatsuashi (2021)
- Gankiryu (2021)
- What to Do with the Dead Kaiju? (2022)
- Yuzo the Biggest Battle in Tokyo (2022)
- Kaiju Girl (2022)
- Hoshi 35 (2023)
- War of the Ninja Monsters: Jaron vs. Goura (2023)
- Kaiju: Island of Fire (2023)
- Brush of the God (2024)
Television and web series
Another Godzilla Channel-exclusive series entitled I'm Home! Chibi Godzilla premiered in 2020 and was renewed for a second season which aired into 2021. The series is 3D-animated and based on Chiharu Sakazaki's Chibi Godzilla character.
In 2020, Toho announced a new animated series starring Godzilla entitled Godzilla Singular Point, which aired on Japanese television in 2021 and subsequently became available to stream worldwide on Netflix. Toho announced a new anime series based on Chibi Godzilla, Chibi Godzilla Raids Again, which will air as part of TV Tokyo's Eeny Meeny Miney Mo programming block beginning on April 1, 2023.
- Godziban (web 2019-)
- I'm Home! Chibi Godzilla (web 2020-2021)
- Godzilla Singular Point (TV 2021)
- Chibi Godzilla Raids Again (TV 2023)
Other Toho series
- GAMERA -Rebirth- (TV 2023)
Officially licensed tie-in media for the Reiwa Godzilla films has been released.
- The Art of Shin Godzilla - Art book for Shin Godzilla
- Shin Godzilla Walker: The New Legend of the King of the Monsters and Shin Godzilla Walker: Perfect Form - Encyclopedias covering the Godzilla franchise with a specific focus on Shin Godzilla
- GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse - Prequel novel to GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters
- GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters - Manga adaptation of the film
- GODZILLA: Project Mechagodzilla - Tie-in novel for GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle and follow-up to GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse
- GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters - Novelization of the film and the first half of GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle
- GODZILLA: The Planet Eater - Novelization of the film and the second half of GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle
- Shin Godzilla VR Demo
- Shin Arima
- Grand Summoners - Features Godzilla as a guest character
- Eternal Linkage - Features Godzilla Filius, Godzilla Earth, Shin Godzilla, Servum, Mothra, and Haruo Sakaki as guest characters
- Godzilla Defense Force - Features several Reiwa Godzilla monsters
- Vivid Army - Features Shin Godzilla as a guest character
- Battle Spirits - BSC26 booster pack includes Shin Godzilla
- Weiß Schwarz - Includes a GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters-themed booster pack
- Godzilla Filius
- Mechagodzilla City
- Red plant mass
- Grandpa Hedo
- Young Hedo
- Grandpa Zilla
- Uncle Zilla
- Young Caesar
- Mother Gigarian
- Lady Gigana
- King Gigander
- Gigan Miles
- Gigan Rex
- Shin Universe Robo
- The Reiwa series is the first series of Godzilla films to include a fully-animated Godzilla film.
- The Reiwa series and the Monsterverse mark the first-ever instance of two series of Godzilla films running concurrently.
This is a list of references for Reiwa era. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: