Idea and Design Works, LLC, also known as IDW Comics or simply IDW, is an American comic book publisher. IDW began publishing Godzilla comics in 2011, with the most recent series concluding in 2016. IDW did not publish any new comics utilizing the Godzilla license from 2017 to 2020; however, it signed a new licensing deal with Toho during that time and republished Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters as a complete volume, followed by Godzilla: Complete Rulers of Earth Vol. 2 in the summer of 2019. It republished Godzilla: The Half-Century War in August 2020 and republished Godzilla: History's Greatest Monster in January 2021. It will also republish three of its miniseries: Godzilla: Legends, Godzilla in Hell, and Godzilla: Rage Across Time, in May 2021 as part of a volume titled Godzilla: Unnatural Disasters, and three more miniseries: Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths, Godzilla: Cataclysm, and Godzilla: Oblivion, as part of a volume titled Godzilla: World of Monsters in August. On December 2, 2020, it was announced that Toho and IDW had signed a new publishing deal that would result in new Godzilla comics being published by the company beginning in April 2021. This deal also covered non-comic media such as art books, journals, puzzles, and coloring books.
IDW's Godzilla comics consist of three ongoing series and seven five-issue miniseries. The three ongoing series - Kingdom of Monsters, Ongoing, and Rulers of Earth - all take place in the same continuity, while the miniseries are each standalone and take place in their own individual continuities. Rulers of Earth holds the status as the longest-running Godzilla comic of all time at 25 issues, one issue longer than Marvel's Godzilla, King of the Monsters. IDW also published Godzilla: The IDW Era, a book chronicling IDW's different Godzilla comics including behind-the-scenes material, in 2014. All of the comics are currently available digitally through Amazon and comiXology, and have also been published completely as trade paperbacks, many of which have gone out of print until IDW eventually republishes them. Unlike previous Godzilla comic publishers Marvel and Dark Horse, IDW licensed many of Godzilla's monster co-stars from the films.
Three of IDW's Godzilla comic series, Godzilla: Rulers of Earth, Godzilla: Rage Across Time, and Godzilla: Legends, have been translated and published in Japan by PHASE6, marking the first-ever instance of American Godzilla comic series being released in Japan.
Selected publications[edit | edit source]
Comic series[edit | edit source]
- Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters (2011-2012) [12 issues]
- Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths (2011) [5 issues]
- Godzilla: Legends (2011-2012) [5 issues]
- Godzilla: Ongoing (2012) [13 issues]
- Godzilla: The Half-Century War (2012-2013) [5 issues]
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (2013-2015) [25 issues]
- Godzilla: Cataclysm (2014) [5 issues]
- Godzilla in Hell (2015) [5 issues]
- Godzilla: Oblivion (2016) [5 issues]
- Godzilla: Rage Across Time (2016) [5 issues]
- Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors (2021) [5 issues]
- Godzilla Rivals (2021-)
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- Godzilla: The IDW Era (2014)
- Godzilla Treasury Edition (2016) [volume containing assorted work on IDW's Godzilla comics by James Stokoe]
- Godzilla: Unnatural Disasters (2021) [volume containing Legends, Godzilla in Hell, and Rage Across Time]
- Godzilla: World of Monsters (2021) [volume containing Gangsters & Goliaths, Cataclysm, and Oblivion]
[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for IDW Publishing. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 11 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.