Arrow Video is the home video distribution arm of the United Kingdom-based film distribution company Arrow Films. Arrow Video releases collector-oriented Blu-ray and DVDs of independent, international, arthouse, cult, horror, and classic films. In 2018, it released all three entries of director Michio Yamamoto's Bloodthirsty Trilogy in a Blu-ray set in North America, the U.K., and Japan. It released a Gamera Blu-ray box set containing all 12 films along with Dark Horse's Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe comic series and Matt Frank's prequel comic The Last Hope on August 18, 2020. Arrow have continued to release Daiei properties on Blu-ray ever since, notably the Daimajin trilogy and Yokai Monsters series. They also acquired the Hong Kong-Japanese co-production The Mighty Peking Man, due for release as part of a Shaw Brothers collection on December 6, 2021.
Selected releases[edit | edit source]
- The Vampire Doll (1970), Lake of Dracula (1971), and Evil of Dracula (1974) - Blu-ray set titled The Bloodthirsty Trilogy (2018)
- Gamera (1965), Gamera vs. Barugon (1966), Gamera vs. Gyaos (1967), Gamera vs. Viras (1968), Gamera vs. Guiron, Gamera vs. Jiger (1970), Gamera vs. Zigra (1971), Gamera: Super Monster (1980), Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995), Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion (1996), Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999), and Gamera the Brave (2006) - Blu-ray box set titled Gamera: The Complete Collection (2020)
- In 2021, these discs were split into two sets: Gamera - The Showa Era and Gamera - The Heisei Era. In addition, Gamera - The Heisei Trilogy collected the three Shusuke Kaneko-directed films in a SteelBook.
- Warning from Space (1956) - Blu-ray (2020)
- The Invisible Man Appears (1949) and The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly (1957) - Blu-ray set (2021)
- Daimajin, Return of Daimajin, and Daimajin Strikes Again (all 1966) - Blu-ray set titled The Daimajin Trilogy (2021)
- The Giant Claw (1957) - Part of a Blu-ray set titled Cold War Creatures: Four Films from Sam Katzman (2021)
- The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (1968) - Blu-ray (2021)
- Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters (1966), Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare (1968), Yokai Monsters: Along with Ghosts (1968), and The Great Yokai War (2005) - Blu-ray set titled Yokai Monsters Collection (2021)
Upcoming[edit | edit source]
- The Mighty Peking Man (1977) - Part of a Blu-ray set titled Shawscope Volume One (December 6, 2021)
All of the titles that Arrow has released so far are also available to stream on the Arrow Video Channel, though the Gamera series is only in Japanese.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Arrow Video's The Bloodthirsty Trilogy set marked the first non-VHS release of the three films in North America. It also was the first home video release of the three films in Japan not to be through Toho.
- Arrow Video's Gamera: The Complete Collection set was the first time the original American version of Gamera—titled Gammera the Invincible—had been released on Blu-ray.
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for Arrow Video. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: