Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (ゴジラ: ルーラーズ オブ アース is a comic book series by Gojira: Rūrāzu Obu Āsu)IDW Publishing, which ran from June 2013 to July 2015. At 25 issues in length, it is currently the longest-running Godzilla comic in the history of the franchise, one issue longer than Marvel's Godzilla. The series was written by Chris Mowry, who had previously written Godzilla: Legends #4, with art by Matt Frank and Jeff Zornow and colors by Priscilla Tramontano.
Set in the same continuity as IDW's previous ongoing titles, Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters and Godzilla, the plot of Godzilla: Rulers of Earth primarily concerns an alien invasion by a race called the Cryogs, initially supported by the undersea Devonian civilization. At the same time, more and more of Earth's ancient monsters are appearing around the globe, fighting amongst themselves for dominance. When the Cryogs unleash their ultimate weapon, the power-absorbing Trilopods, Godzilla must lead his monster brethren into battle with the support of the humans' Counter-Kaiju Reaction Forces in order to save the planet from certain conquest.
Rulers of Earth was the first American Godzilla comic series to be published in Japan, where it was licensed by Phase Six, who would continue to localize many of IDW's other Godzilla titles.
IDW Limited version of Volume 1, sold for 72 hours in December 2013
Japanese Volume 1 (collaboration cover by Matt Frank and Shinji Nishikawa)
Trilopod character sheet
Trilopod Beta concept art by Jeff Zornow
Press release for Japanese publication from Phase Six
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth marked the first American comic appearances of Zilla, Gezora, Manda, Jet Jaguar, Gaira, Sanda, Varan, King Caesar, Moguera, Orga, and Biollante, as well as Gezora's first non-video game appearance. It also became the first official piece of media to use Gezora, Sanda, and Gaira's trademark icons.
- This series marked the return of several human characters from Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters who were absent from Godzilla, including protagonist Steven Woods and supporting characters Allie and Kenji Ando.
- The Trilopods, who were introduced in issue #20, were the first major original monsters to appear in IDW's Godzilla comics.
- This series contains many cameos and Easter eggs, even for things outside of the Godzilla franchise, such as the logo of the Science Special Search Party from Ultraman appearing on a laptop.
- Facebook page
- IDW interview with Chris Mowry (undated, but published before the first issue)
- Kaijucast interview with Chris Mowry and Matt Frank (June 2013)
- G-Fest panel with Matt Frank and Jeff Zornow(July 2015)
- Toho Kingdom interview with Matt Frank and Chris Mowry (September 2015)
- Japanese Rulers of Earth Vol. 1 listing from publisher Phase Six
- Japanese Rulers of Earth Vol. 2 listing from publisher Phase Six
- Japanese Rulers of Earth Vol. 3 listing from publisher Phase Six
- Japanese Rulers of Earth Vol. 4 listing from publisher Phase Six
- Japanese Rulers of Earth Vol. 5 listing from publisher Phase Six
This is a list of references for Godzilla: Rulers of Earth. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 23 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.