MireGoji / GiraGoji
- This article covers the Godzilla design from Godzilla 2000: Millennium and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus. For the Godzilla incarnations, see Godzilla (Godzilla 2000: Millennium) and Godzilla (Godzilla vs. Megaguirus).
In Godzilla 2000: Millennium, the MireGoji's name comes from the film's Japanese title, specifically mireniamu (ミレニアム), meaning millennium, and Goji, which comes from Godzilla's Japanese name, Gojira (ゴジラ).
Godzilla returned from the grave, so to speak, in Godzilla 2000: Millennium. The new suits, created for the film by Shinichi Wakasa and worn by new suit actor Tsutomu Kitagawa, was an all-new, very radical look for Godzilla. Somewhat reminiscent of the KingGoji suit, this suit contained many new and old features. The scales on this suit were more detailed and prominent, his dorsal plates were large and jagged with a purple tint to them, and his head shape was thinner, making him look more reptilian. Godzilla's mouth and eyes contained the trademark "frown" present on other suits; the tongue was long and the teeth had the old fangs, and his eyes were white with black pupils, much like the eyes used on the 84Goji suit. The tiny ears that existed in the original Godzilla suit and those in the Heisei series had also returned. These suits were painted a natural, dark shade of green. They were the first Godzilla suits to be officially painted green, whereas previous suits were mostly painted charcoal-grey.
For the next film, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, at least two new suits were cast from the same molds used to make the MireGoji suits, one for land scenes and one for water scenes. Because the MireGojis had proven "heavy and difficult to move," they were made of lighter materials, reducing the suits' weight from 70 kilograms to 50. Most of the MireGoji design's colors were brightened, from its skin to its mouth, and streaks were added to its teeth. It also had a smaller mouth, flatter face, and longer neck, likely due to mold degradation. These suits are also called the GiraGoji (ギラゴジ).
Use in other media
- Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (2002) - Nintendo GameCube and Microsoft Xbox
- Godzilla: Save the Earth (2004) - Sony PlayStation 2 and Microsoft Xbox
- CR Godzilla 3S-T Battle (2006) - pachinko
- Godzilla: Unleashed (2007) - Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation 2
- CR Godzilla: Descent of the Destruction God (2010) - pachinko
- Godzilla Kaiju Collection (2015) - Android and iOS
- Super Robot Wars X-Ω (2015; added in 2016) - Android and iOS
- CR True King of the Monsters Godzilla (2018) - pachinko
- Godzilla Defense Force (2019) - Android and iOS
- Pachinko True King of the Monsters Godzilla 2 (2022) - pachinko
- The Ants: Underground Kingdom (2021; added in 2022) - Android, iOS, and Google Play
- Godzilla Battle Line (2021; added in 2023) - Android, iOS, and PC
- Battle Spirits (BSC19 and BSC26 booster packs)
- Godziban (2019-)
Godzilla's appearance in a 1999 stage show
MireGoji and Megaguirus celebrate Godzilla's 46th birthday
Godzilla in CR Godzilla 3S-T Battle
The MireGoji with Shinji Higuchi at Tokyo Toy Show 2016
The cover for the soundtrack of Godzilla 2000: Millennium
The cover for the soundtrack of Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
HG Series Set 6 Godzilla '99
HG Series Set 7 Godzilla 2000
A figure of Godzilla 1999 from Bandai America
Hazawa-Gumi Godzilla 1999
S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 2000 (2013 Release)
S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 2000 (2015 Release)
Bandai Godzilla 1999 plush
Playmates Godzilla 1999
X-Plus 30cm Godzilla 1999
X-Plus 30cm Poster Version Godzilla 1999
X-Plus Gigantic Series Godzilla 1999
Bandai Real Action Godzilla 2000
Bandai electronic Godzilla 2000 statue
Bandai Godzilla Generations set
Bandai 4-inch Godzilla 2000
Bandai Hyper Godzilla Godzilla 2000
Bandai advance ticket Godzilla 2000 figures
Bandai Ultra Real Godzilla Godzilla 2000
Bandai Godzilla 2000 finger puppet set
Bandai Godzilla 2000 minifigure set
Mini Cast Godzilla 1999 ornament
Telebi-Kun Magazine Bandai Godzilla 2000 prize figure
Monogram International Figural Bag Clips
- The MireGoji suit was also used to characterize Godzilla in the two Pachinko games CR Godzilla 3S-T Battle in 2006 and CR Godzilla: Descent of the Destruction God in 2010.
- This Godzilla suit is one of the best-preserved suits, and has been displayed multiple times with very little instances of decay or damage, despite being used in two films, plus stage shows and the CR Godzilla Games over a period of 16 years. It traveled to the United States in 2013 for the Godzilla Encounter held at the San Diego Comic-Con, and returned to the convention in 2019, where it was displayed at Toho's booth.
- In the web series Godziban, the design of the character Mirei-san is heavily based on the MireGoji suit.
This is a list of references for MireGoji. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 61 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.