In the real world[edit | edit source]
- Satoshi Narumi is born.
January[edit | edit source]
- 15 January: Rodan, a manga adaptation of the upcoming film of the same name, is published by Akashiya Shobo.
- 27 January: Warning from Space is released theatrically in Japan.
March[edit | edit source]
April[edit | edit source]
- 8 April: Yoshiko Tanaka is born in Tokyo, Japan.
- 18 April: Shin Takuma is born in Okayama, Japan.
- 27 April: Godzilla, King of the Monsters!, the American re-edit of the 1954 Godzilla, is released to theaters.
October[edit | edit source]
- 1 October: Monster Rodan, a manga adaptation of the upcoming film Rodan, is published by Kobunsha in the October 1956 issue of Shonen magazine.
- 1 October: Rodan, a manga adaptation of the upcoming film of the same name, is published by Shueisha in the October 1956 issue of Omoshiro Book.
November[edit | edit source]
- 7 November: Fearful Attack of the Flying Saucers is released theatrically in Japan.
December[edit | edit source]
- 26 December: Rodan is released theatrically in Japan.
In fiction[edit | edit source]
- A mining town on the slopes of Mount Aso on the Japanese island of Kyushu is besieged by giant insects called Meganulon that butcher the miners. However, the mine soon yields two more monsters: giant pteranodons called Rodan, who eat all the Meganulon and fly around the world at supersonic speeds. The two creatures then land in Fukuoka and devastate the city. The JSDF initiates a counterattack against the Rodans by causing an eruption of Mt. Aso using missiles. One of the Rodans falls into the lava and its mate soon joins it, and the two creatures die together. (Rodan)
- Awakened and enraged by an H-bomb test in the South Pacific, the monster known as Godzilla begins sinking ships in the waters off Japan before coming ashore on Odo Island. The beast then raids Tokyo twice, transforming the metropolis into a sea of fire, his campaign of destruction documented by American reporter Steve Martin. The monster is eventually killed by the Oxygen Destroyer, a chemical weapon invented by scientist Daisuke Serizawa, an old college friend of Martin. Serizawa seals the secret of the Oxygen Destroyer with his own death, ensuring the weapon can never be used again. (Godzilla, King of the Monsters!)
- Godzilla, a prehistoric creature roused by nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean, attacks the city of Tokyo. The monster would frequently raid Japan in the ensuing years, gradually becoming the lesser of two evils as he fended off other more malevolent monsters. (Marvel's Godzilla, King of the Monsters)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
27 Jan. - Warning from Space theatrical release poster
27 Apr. - Godzilla, King of the Monsters! theatrical poster
26 Dec. - Rodan theatrical poster
Showing 1 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.