The Cretaceous is a geologic period of Earth's history spanning 80 million years from the end of the Jurassic Period 145 million years ago (Mya), to the beginning of the Paleogene, 66 Mya. It was the final period of the Mesozoic era.
In the real world[edit | edit source]
- Dinosaurs and other reptilian animals rule the planet. The supercontinent of Pangaea has completed its tectonic plate breakup into present day continents.
- A massive asteroid or comet strikes the Earth 65 Mya, causing the K-Pg mass extinction event and killing an estimated 75% or more of all life on the planet, including all non-avian dinosaurs.
In fiction[edit | edit source]
- 130,000,000 years ago
- Cretaceous King Ghidorah lands on Earth and begins to kill dinosaurs. Rainbow Mothra arrives, having traveled back in time from the year 1998, to fight Ghidorah in a younger, weaker form. The two battle, and Leo eventually severs one on Ghidorah's tails, which digs its self into the ground. Leo eventually grabs the young King of Terror and drops it into an erupting volcano, killing it. Leo then lands on the ground, badly burned and seriously injured. However, three Primitive Mothra Larvae arrive and cover Leo in silk to protect and preserve him through the ages. (Rebirth of Mothra 3)
- 65,000,000 million years ago
- An asteroid hits the Earth, killing much of the planet's life. The population of the dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures is reduced, but many species do not surrender to extinction. Across the planet, many small populations of such species as plesiosaurs, pterosaurs, and even some dinosaurs (including the ankylosaurus and a theropod species known as the "Godzillasaurus") continue to survive and breed.
- The three-headed space monster Desghidorah arrives on Earth and begins to absorb the life energy from the planet. The dominant race of the world, small humanoids called the Elias, attempt to fight back alongside a race of giant insects called Mothras. Eventually, Desghidorah is defeated and sealed inside the Earth, but the Elias are left extinct, and only one Mothra remains alive. (Rebirth of Mothra)
- An alien spacecraft crashes into the sea, and the ship's crew, squid-like creatures called the Millennians, remain trapped within, unable to operate the ship without light from the sun. (Godzilla 2000: Millennium)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Desghidorah traverses through outer space (Rebirth of Mothra)
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.