Monsters often experience large cuts or serious damage without bleeding, yet blood sometimes makes appearances in the Godzilla series, and appears in almost every movie in the Gamera series, which is far more graphic in the nature of its violence.
In the films
- Godzilla Raids Again - Godzilla bites Anguirus in the neck, making it the first time a monster bleeds. The picture of this scene is not very clear because the movie is in black and white.
- Destroy All Monsters - Godzilla stomps on King Ghidorah's right head, causing King Ghidorah to cough up blood. King Ghidorah also bleeds when Anguirus, Gorosaurus and Godzilla have bit him in certain spots, as blood patches can be seen after the bites have happened.
- Godzilla vs. Hedorah - Hedorah's blood is actually a powerful liquid pollutant. When Hedorah bleeds over his eye, the toxicity burns his eye. During their final battle, Hedorah attempts to flee by leaping over Godzilla's head, only to be headbutted away by the King of the Monsters. The impact splits the top of his head open, causing a trickle of blood to run down.
- Godzilla vs. Gigan - Gigan's buzzsaw slices Godzilla's shoulder, causing it to projectile bleed, and he uses his hooks to cut into both Godzilla and Anguirus; Anguirus also runs right into Gigan's buzzsaw, causing blood to shoot out (and actually hit the camera lens). Also, Godzilla slightly bleeds on the cheek when getting hit in the face by the Godzilla Tower's laser beam.
- Godzilla vs. Megalon - Godzilla spurts blood when Gigan slices Godzilla’s shoulder with his buzzsaw.
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - Fake Godzilla causes Anguirus to bleed profusely when he breaks Anguirus' jaw. During Godzilla and Mechagodzilla's first battle, when Godzilla is knocked into Tokyo Bay following a beam clash, blood floats to the surface. During the final battle, Mechagodzilla fires its finger missiles at Godzilla's neck, causing large amounts of blood to spray from his neck.
- Terror of Mechagodzilla - The opening contains stock footage of Godzilla bleeding in his fight with Mechagodzilla.
- The Return of Godzilla - Shockirus is shown to have green blood when he is being stabbed to death by the reporter and the sole surviving crew member of the ship that it has attacked. Also, the Super X fires cadmium missiles in Godzilla's mouth, making him bleed.
- Godzilla vs. Biollante - During Godzilla's battle with Biollante's rose form at Lake Ashi, Godzilla blasts Biollante's vines with his atomic breath, causing them to be severed and spew green chlorophyll-like blood. Godzilla also blasts Biollante's fleshy core, causing it to hemorrhage similar fluid. While fighting against Biollante's second, more powerful form, Godzilla gets impaled in both his left shoulder and the palm of his left hand by some of Biollante's vines, causing Godzilla to seemingly spurt green blood. However, there are some sources that claim that this is Biollante's acidic residue that is being released from the wound, since Godzilla is usually portrayed as having red blood.
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - After the U.S. Navy shoot the Godzillasaurus in the neck with bombs and shells, he bleeds profusely.
- Godzilla vs. Mothra - Godzilla bites Battra in the neck, causing him to bleed large quantities of yellow blood. The blood loss from this injury, combined with additional grievous damage to his body inflicted when Godzilla fired his atomic breath at close range, ultimately caused Battra to die.
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II - During Godzilla and Rodan's battle on Adonoa Island, Godzilla grabs Rodan by the neck and chokes him, causing Rodan to bleed from the mouth. When Mechagodzilla fires its Shock Anchors at Godzilla, the anchors draw small amounts of blood where they hit. Later, Fire Rodan also loses large amounts of blood after getting hit twice by Mechagodzilla's Plasma Grenade, to the point of his chest being shredded and bleeding profusely and blood foaming from his mouth. Finally, Mechagodzilla shoots Godzilla's second brain with the G-Crusher, blackening the screen with blood.
- Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - MOGUERA drills a hole in SpaceGodzilla's neck, causing it to bleed.
- Godzilla vs. Destoroyah - Godzilla Junior has his chest stabbed by Destoroyah's second jaw, revealing red blood and muscles underneath. Burning Godzilla's blood seems to range in color from orange to white, and he loses a substantial amount of blood when Destoroyah slices him with his Variable Slicer. Destoroyah's floral pattern bleeds yellow blood when Godzilla hits it twice with his atomic breath, and he then coughs up large quantities of blood when Godzilla hits it with a third shot immediately afterwards. The pattern bleeds again - this time more violently - when Godzilla punches it after firing the third shot, forcing Destoroyah to split into multiple Aggregate Forms, then reform to survive. Later, Destoroyah bleeds when Godzilla's atomic breath blasts off part of his head crest. Destoroyah's shoulder can also be seen bleeding towards the end of the battle after Godzilla hits it with the Infinite Spiral Heat Ray, blowing off a portion of his exoskeleton.
- Godzilla 2000: Millennium - Chunks of Godzilla's flesh can be seen being blasted off his body when he is being struck by specially-designed missiles fired by the Full Metal Missile Launchers. Additionally, while unknown if this is blood or burnt flesh, Orga is blasted multiple times by Godzilla and when he is regenerating, he is seen with a mixture of greyish organs.
- Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - The Meganula swarm can only awaken their queen if they siphon enough blood from a powerful source. They choose Godzilla for this task, biting him over and over again to obtain the red life-fluid they need.
- Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - King Ghidorah is bitten hard by Godzilla and bleeds. Godzilla recieves a gaping hole in him from the Satsuma's D-03 Missile and bleeds while he drowns, eventually exploding in a mass of burnt flesh and blood as the pressure becomes too great.
- Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla - After Kiryu fires his Absolute Zero Cannon underwater, Godzilla surfaces with a large bloody wound on his chest. During the fight, Kiryu also stabs Godzilla in the chest using his plasma blades, drawing a small amount of blood.
- Godzilla (2014) - Godzilla and the MUTOs bleed while they fight in San Francisco: The female MUTO bleeds when Godzilla bites her while he tackles her. Godzilla bleeds when the female MUTO slashes at his neck. The winged MUTO bleeds when he's impaled on a building by Godzilla's tail. The female MUTO bleeds heavily after Godzilla decapitates her.
- Kong: Skull Island - Kong bleeds after the blades of one of the Sky Devils' helicopters slice open his flesh, causing him visible pain. When battling the Skull Devil, Kong is shown with noticeable bleeding scars on his face. When Kong rips out the Skull Devil's organs, green blood is seen being spewed out.
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters - When battling King Ghidorah in Mexico, Godzilla rips off his right head, causing it to spill out black blood. In their final battle in Boston, Godzilla is shown with several visible bloody wounds throughout the fight.
- Godzilla vs. Kong - During a test on Mechagodzilla, a Skullcrawler called "Number 10" was sliced in half with the mecha's Proton Scream, spilling considerable amounts of blood. When attacked by Warbats, Kong bludgeons them to death, making them spew out green blood. Kong draws blood on Godzilla when he lands a hit on his leg with his charged battle axe, and later when he punches the wound. Godzilla is seen bleeding after Mechagodzilla nearly kills him.
- Shin Godzilla - Godzilla's second form leaks a red, blood-like fluid from its gills when it comes ashore. Godzilla later bleeds in his fourth form when B-2 Stealth Bombers drop Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bombs on his back, causing one of his dorsal fins to be blown off and blood to pour down from his back.
- Godzilla - In the episode "Valley of the Giants", while trying to save Captain Majors from a Giant Bee, Godzilla is ambushed and bitten by a Giant Black Widow Spider, leaving a bloody bite mark on his left shoulder.
- Godzilla: The Series - Two examples are in the pilot episode where the sub-adult Godzilla is struck in the neck by artillery, causing him to bleed, and in the episode "The Twister" where the Shrewster draws blood from Godzilla by slashing his chest with its claws.
In the comics and manga
- Kodansha's Godzilla, King of the Monsters manga - In this series of graphic novels that were produced around the time Godzilla vs. Mothra was released, blood and graphic violence is very common.
- Shogakukan Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II manga adaptation - Godzilla's eyes burst after the Garuda deploys spiked projectiles that explode on contact with his eyes. In the ensuing final battle, Mechagodzilla's programming is overridden by that of Mecha-King Ghidorah, with Mechagodzilla proceeding to brutally attack Godzilla, almost beheading him, then fires on Rodan, causing the monster's blood to briefly splatter across the machine's face.
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth - In this comic series, the monsters bleed frequently. Orga bleeds greenish goo when Gigan stabs through the top of his head and later when Jet Jaguar grows to full size from inside of Orga, causing him to explode into green goo. Gigan bleeds white blood when Godzilla tears off the tip of his tail. During the underwater battle between Godzilla and the Devonians' monsters, Godzilla bleeds profusely when Destoroyah slices his chest with his horn and when Manda bites down on his shoulder. During the same battle, Godzilla bites down on Titanosaurus' neck, causing him to bleed as well, and Gezora bleeds when Godzilla damages his tentacles. Anguirus bleeds severely during his battle with Mechagodzilla, as does Godzilla at some points during his battle against the Mechagodzilla army. Ebirah bleeds when several Meganulons bite through his shell. The Trilopods draw blood from other monsters when they bite them in order to absorb their powers. Whenever the Trilopods are killed, they tend to bleed frequently, such as when Gorosaurus bites down on their necks or stomps them to death, and when Minette and Mallory use their psychic powers to cause a Trilopod's head to explode.
- Godzilla: Cataclysm - In Godzilla: Cataclysm #1, a Kamacuras is completely dismembered and decapitated by Biollante and spurts green blood.
In the video games
- Godzilla and Godzilla: Great Monster Battle: During some of the grab moves, often when a monster uses a bite attack, blood can be seen spurting from the opponent with each bite. The color of the blood is different for each monster. For example, the color of Megalon's blood is green, while monsters that lack any internal organs, like all of the incarnations of Mechagodzilla, will instead spurt what appear to be sparks.
- Super Godzilla: In both the Japanese and North American releases of the game, whenever Godzilla is hit by an enemy kaiju's attack, he's sent flying back while spitting up blood. On a side note, Super Godzilla does not cough up blood when it is attacked.
Rebirth of Mothra trilogy (Toho)
- Rebirth of Mothra - When Desghidorah bites into Mothra Leo, he bleeds greenish blood.
- Rebirth of Mothra 3 - Rainbow Mothra scratches Cretaceous Ghidorah on the top of one of its heads and it bleeds.
In the films
- Gamera vs. Barugon - Gamera gouges Barugon at a lower section of his eye with his frozen claw. Later, when the military initiated the "Reflect" battle plan, when Barugon is goaded into using his Rainbow Ray against a giant mirror, the mirror reflects his ray back at Barugon, causing tons of flesh to be blasted off Barugon's back near his spikes. When Gamera succeeds in drowning Barugon, blood flows out of his mouth in such a volume that Gamera is literally swimming in his foe's life-fluid. Barugon has purple flesh and blood, and is the first Gamera kaiju to have this coloration, with the others being Space Gyaos and Garasharp.
- Gamera vs. Gyaos - Gamera moves in the way of Gyaos' Sonic Beam, and his arm is hit multiple times, shedding bluish-green blood. Gyaos has some of his 'toes' blasted off and undergoes a painful regeneration to get them back. Later, it is revealed that Gyaos consumes blood, and the military use a large dish full of it to try and lure the giant monster to his death in the bright sunlight. This fails, however. Later, in the climactic minutes of their final battle, Gamera bites into Gyaos' neck and shoulder to restrain him, resulting in Gyaos bleeding vast quantities of pale purple blood.
- Gamera vs. Viras - By merging the flaps of skin on his head, Viras can create an incredibly sharp blade. He flies at Gamera using this blade, and stabs him straight through his plastron, spraying aqua-blue blood over Viras' blade.
- Gamera vs. Guiron - Space Gyaos fires a beam at Guiron, which reflects off Guiron's blade, blasting off Space Gyaos' lower leg. The alien Gyaos is still mobile with its wings, and tries to escape with the power of flight, but Guiron gives chase. Flinging himself through the air, Guiron smashes into Space Gyaos, ripping off his wing in one clean sweep, exposing the flying beast's purple muscles and blood. After beheading Space Gyaos, Guiron proceeds to hack the once-proud vampire bat creature into pieces, which he then throws away. Guiron's blade also slices through Gamera's shell, and his shurikens lacerate Gamera's head, causing the heroic kaiju to fall into a near-death coma underwater. When Gamera ignites a rocket caught in Guiron's armor, the beast explodes into two pieces, with his bottom half flying upwards, red flesh being shown.
- Gamera vs. Jiger - Jiger fires projectile quills from her face into Gamera's limbs, causing him to bleed and prevent him from retracting his limbs for flight. Gamera painfully removes the quills after he manages to pull himself up with his tail. Jiger also stabs Gamera in the chest with her ovipositor during their second fight, causing Gamera to stagger away in agony, and collapse, turning a pale white color. Later, when Gamera is successfully revived, Jiger tries a similar tactic as Gamera retrieves the Devil's Whistle, but Gamera drops the statue on top of her ovipositor, crushing it and causing it to hemorrhage. Gamera ultimately wins the fight by stabbing the statue's tip through Jiger's skull, killing her.
- Gamera vs. Zigra - While facing off against Zigra in their rematch after rescuing the hostage children and their fathers, Zigra uses his head blade to slice open the underside of Gamera's shell, causing aqua-colored blood to spew out of it.
- Gamera vs. Garasharp - Garasharp is shown to have purple blood, much like Space Gyaos and Barugon.
- Gamera the Guardian of the Universe - Gyaos wounds Gamera several times with its sonic beam.
- Gamera 2: Attack of Legion - When Gamera and the Mother Legion battle at Sendai, she repeatedly stabs Gamera with her extremely sharp legs, and blasts him with her horn beam. Gamera is covered in gashes as the alien insect leaves, burrowing into the ground.
- Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris - Gamera gives chase to a group of Gyaos, and blasts one to pieces, showering blood and burning flesh down onto the city below. Later, Iris stabs Gamera straight through his shell using one of his Spear Hands, and Gamera drops to the floor, seemingly dead. Iris then proceeds to absorb Ayana, despite her attempts to escape. Now revived, Gamera plunges his hand into Iris' chest to retrieve Ayana, but Iris impales Gamera's other hand with his Spear Hand, causing green blood to spatter out of the wound. Gamera chooses to blast off the trapped appendage, releasing yet more green blood. This also causes Iris' Spear Hand to be ripped from his body. Gamera then pulls his remaining hand out of Iris' chest cavity, causing Iris to bleed profusely.
- Gamera the Brave - Gamera is hit by a Gyaos' sonic beam and bleeds from the arm. When Gamera is knocked down, two Gyaos descend on him and bite chunks out of his flesh, drawing large amounts of blood. Zedus uses the sharp tip of his tongue to stab through Toto's belly after he gets stuck in the top of a building. Later in the same battle, Toto rips Zedus' tongue off, spraying blood everywhere.
In the comics and manga
- Gamera 2006: Hard Link - Toto is bleeding in his first appearance from his fight with Zedus. Gamera gets nearly eviscerated by the Gyaos in their fight in 1973 and bleeds a lot.
- Daimajin is activated by pushing an object into his forehead. If he has been awakened successfully, his forehead will sometimes bleed.
King Kong franchise (various studios)
In the films
- King Kong (1933) - The Stegosaurus bleeds after being shot repeatedly by the Venture crew. The Meat-Eater bleeds from the mouth after King Kong breaks its jaw. Kong bleeds after being riddled by machine gun bullets at the top of the Empire State Building, and his bloody corpse is shown laying on the street at the end of the film.
- Son of Kong - Kiko's finger is injured during a fight with a giant cave bear, and it bleeds slightly. Carl Denham later wraps the finger in a makeshift tourniquet to repay Kiko for saving his life.
- King Kong (1976) - Kong rips the giant boa's jaws apart, causing it to bleed. During the climax, Kong bleeds profusely when he is shot by machine guns atop the World Trade Center.
- King Kong Lives - During the climax of the film, Kong is fatally wounded by bullets and artillery and is covered in blood. Earlier in the film, after having gotten blood from Lady Kong, Kong is cut open and his original heart is replaced with an artificial one so he could be revived from his decade-long coma.
- King Kong (2005) - Kong and the Vastatosaurus rexes bleed frequently during their battle, most prominently when Kong breaks the last V-rex's jaw. Kong bleeds when he is killed by machine gun bullets atop the Empire State Building during the film's climax.
- Kong: Skull Island: Kong suffers numerous cuts to his right arm and hand after he attempts to grab the Sea Stallion helicopter by its rotor blades. The Mother Longlegs loses large amounts of blood when she is attacked by the humans with firearms and machetes, and the large Skullcrawler bleeds when one of its eyes is destroyed by a flare shot directly at it.
Godzilla bleeds from the mouth after being shot by Mechagodzilla
Sea Baragon stabs Godzilla with his horn
Fire Rodan bleeding from the chest after being injured by Mechagodzilla
Fire Rodan bleeding and foaming from the mouth after being injured by Mechagodzilla
Destoroyah spitting blood after Godzilla fires his spiral beam at him
Godzilla bleeds after being bitten by Biollante's tendrils in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
Godzilla and Manda inflicting bite wounds
Zilla mauls a Trilopod bearing Titanosaurus' characteristics
Godzilla spits blood after being hit by Mechagodzilla's attack in Super Godzilla
Toto with blood in Gamera 2006: Hard Link
King Kong series
King Kong's chest bleeds after being hit by machine gun bullets in King Kong (1933)
Kong lies bleeding and seemingly dead on the World Trade Center plaza at the end of King Kong (1976)
Kong, blooded and wounded by artillery fire, destroys a tank in King Kong Lives
Kong breaks a V-rex's jaw in King Kong (2005)
Showing 14 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.