The Nikkatsu Corporation (日活株式会社 is a Nikkatsu Kabushiki Gaisha)Japanese film and television company. It was founded as Japan Motion Film Co., Ltd. (日本活動フィルム株式會社 in March of 1912 through the merger of the film studios Yokota Shokai, Yoshizawa Shoten, Fukuhodo, and M. Pathe. Its name was changed to Japan Motion Picture Co., Ltd. Nippon Katsudō Firumu Kabushiki Gaisha) (日本活動冩眞株式會社 on September 10 of that year, and finally to Nikkatsu (a portmanteau of Nippon and Katsudō) in November of Nippon Katsudō Shashin Kabushiki Gaisha)1945. Nikkatsu was regarded as one of the six major studios of the golden age of Japanese cinema alongside Toho, Daiei, Toei, Shintoho, and Shochiku. They are best recognized within the context of kaiju eiga for their 1967 production Gappa.
Nikkatsu partnered with Daiei in 1970 to form the short-lived Dainichi Film Distribution, which brought films produced by both companies to theaters. This included the seventh Gamera film, Gamera vs. Zigra. In more recent years, Nikkatsu have financed and/or produced a handful of other tokusatsu films, including Tomoo Haraguchi's Death Kappa from 2010, Shinsuke Sato's Gantz and Gantz: Perfect Answer from 2011, Shunsuke Kariyama's Humanoid Monster Bem from 2012, Toya Sato's Gatchaman from 2013, and Shinji Higuchi's Attack on Titan the Movie: Part 1 and Part 2 from 2015.
Selected filmography[edit | edit source]
- Gappa (1967) - Presenter [with Manson Distributing] / producer [with Nippon Special Effects Motion Picture Corp.]
- Death Kappa (2010) - Producer
- Gantz (2011) - Presenter [with the Gantz Film Partners]
- Gantz: Perfect Answer (2011) - Presenter [with the Gantz Film Partners]
- Humanoid Monster Bem (2013) - Presenter [with the Humanoid Monster Bem Production Committee] / producer [with Total Media Communication]
- Gatchaman (2013) - Presenter [with the Gatchaman Production Committee] / organizer [with Nippon Television Network]
- Attack on Titan the Movie: Part 1 (2015) - Presenter [with the Attack on Titan Production Committee]
- Attack on Titan the Movie: Part 2 (2015) - Presenter [with the Attack on Titan Production Committee]
Unmade films[edit | edit source]
- Appearance of the Monster Laplace (1957)
- Giant Monster Gigant (1966)
- Giant Squid Arkitius (1966)
- Monster Momonra (1966)
- Reigon: Devil of the Seabed (1966)
Showing 1 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.