Godzilla: High Grade
Godzilla: High Grade (ＨＧ シリーズ Eichi Jī Shirīzu, lit. H.G. Series) is a line of two-inch tall collectible gashapon figures produced by Bandai. These figures are released in waves that usually coincide with the newest Godzilla film. They are typically sold in vending machines and all require at least minor assembly.
- 1 Waves
- 1.1 Godzilla 1
- 1.2 Godzilla 2
- 1.3 Godzilla 3
- 1.4 Godzilla 4
- 1.5 Godzilla 5
- 1.6 EX
- 1.7 Godzilla 6
- 1.8 Godzilla 7
- 1.9 Godzilla 8
- 1.10 Godzilla 9
- 1.11 Godzilla 10
- 1.12 Godzilla 11
- 1.13 Godzilla 2014
- 1.14 Shin Godzilla
- 1.15 Shin Godzilla 2
- 1.16 Shin Godzilla Climax
- 1.17 Godzilla 2017
- 1.18 D+ Godzilla 01
- 1.19 D+ EX01
- 1.20 D+ Godzilla 02
- 2 Bootlegs
- 3 Trivia
- 4 References
- 5 Comments
- Godzilla 1994
- King Ghidorah
- Super Mechagodzilla (includes Mechagodzilla and Garuda)
In 1998, Bandai re-released the figures from wave 1 under the name "Godzilla: High Grade EX." These figures featured slightly different paint jobs than wave 1, and were sold exclusively at 7-11 stores instead of in vending machines. Just like wave 1, Godzilla: High Grade EX features the following figures:
- Godzilla 2000
- King Ghidorah 1965
- Destoroyah (Aggregate Form)
- Battra Larva and Mothra Larva
- Miss Namikawa
Wave 8 was released in 2001 to coincide with the release of Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack. It includes the four monsters featured in the film, plus two classic monsters.
- Godzilla 2002
- Godzilla 1974 (Comes with interchangeable arm that allows it to be turned into Fake Godzilla)
- Kiryu (Mechagodzilla)
- Mechagodzilla 1974
- King Caesar
- Mecha-King Ghidorah
Wave 10 was released in 2003 along with the film Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.. All six of the figures in this wave are new molds, but all except Ebirah are based on monsters that have already received High Grade figures. The figures in this wave are:
- Godzilla 2003
- Kiryu (Mechagodzilla) 2003
- Mothra Imago 2003
- Ebirah 1966 (Comes with removable water accessory)
- Destoroyah Perfect Form 1995
- SpaceGodzilla 1994
In 2004, to celebrate both the release of Godzilla: Final Wars and Godzilla's 50th anniversary, Bandai released a 12th wave of High Grade figures. All of the figures in this wave are of monsters featured in Godzilla: Final Wars, and include:
- Godzilla 2004
- Monster X
- Gigan 2004 (Includes interchangeable head and hands allowing transformation into Modified Gigan)
- Fire Mothra
- Rodan 2004
- Kamacuras 2004 and Kumonga 2004
In 2014, Bandai released the first new High Grade wave since 2004, not counting the Godzilla Chronicle reissue sets, in commemoration of the 2014 American film. From this point onward, the waves abandoned their previous numbering. It features four figures:
To coincide with the upcoming film Shin Godzilla, Bandai released a new wave of High Grade Figures in August 2016. The wave includes:
Shin Godzilla 2
- Godzilla 2016 (1st Form)
- Godzilla 2016 (2nd Form)
- Godzilla 2016 (2nd Form) - Translucent Ver.
- Godzilla 2016 (3rd Form)
- Godzilla 2016 (4th Form) - includes interchangeable mouth parts to simulate Godzilla firing atomic breath
- Godzilla 2016 (4th Form) - painted to represent Godzilla frozen from the film's ending, includes fifth form on the figure's tail
Shin Godzilla Climax
In 2017, Bandai released another wave of Shin Godzilla figures, all of which were repaints of the figures from the previous two waves. Figures in this wave are:
- Godzilla 2016 2nd Form Model Color Ver.
- Godzilla 2016 4th Form Model Color Ver.
- Godzilla 2016 4th Form Frozen Ver.
- Godzilla 2016 4th Form Daytime Ver.
D+ Godzilla 01
In the fourth week of May 2019, to accompany the release of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Bandai released the first "D+" wave of Godzilla: High Grade figures. These figures come in round shells bearing the texture of Godzilla's skin that can be opened into miniature dioramas, complete with effect parts. The first D+ wave includes the following four figures:
Premium Bandai will be releasing a set of "D+ EX" figures in November 2019. Like the D+ Godzilla 01 wave, these figures come in shells which can be opened into dioramas. The set includes three figures:
D+ Godzilla 02
Bandai released the second standard wave of D+ Godzilla figures in November 2019. Figures in this wave are:
Starting in summer of 2000, bootlegs of the wave 4 figures began appearing on the internet, and remain common on sites such as eBay and Amazon to this day. Though at first glance it may be difficult to spot the differences between the real figures and the bootlegs, there are some notable differences. The bootleg figures are generally smaller and feature sloppier paint jobs. They also lack the marking on their tails that lists the copyright date and "BANDAI CHINA," instead simply listing the word "CHINA." Below are pictures comparing the actual figures and their bootlegs.
- There has been a wave of High Grade figures made for almost every Godzilla film since 1994. The only films without their own dedicated waves are GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle and GODZILLA: The Planet Eater.
- Bandai also produced a Gamera: High Grade line from 1995 to 1999.
This is a list of references for Godzilla: High Grade. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.