The MBT-MB92 (９２式メーサービーム戦車 is an anti- Kyūnishiki Mēsā Bīmusensha, lit. Type 92 Maser Beam Tank)kaiju weapon used by the JSDF that appears throughout the Heisei series of Godzilla films, making its debut in the 1989 film Godzilla vs. Biollante. It is a compact version of the Maser Cannons seen throughout the Showa series; in-universe, it serves as the successor to the N1-00 deployed against Godzilla in 1984.
The MBT-MB92 first saw service in 1989. It was theorized that the Anti-Nuclear Energy Bacteria was failing to work at Godzilla's low body temperature. The JSDF determined that the best solution was to find a way to raise Godzilla's body temperature. Godzilla was lured to the Wakasa plain, where the experimental M6000 T.C. System and newly-constructed MBT-MB92 Maser Cannons were situated en-route to Takahama Nuclear Power Plant. After Godzilla shot down two of the JGSDF's helicopters, the MBT-MB92s entered as the second phase of the operation, and began firing their masers at Godzilla's body, gradually causing his temperature to start rising. With proof that the plan could work, Godzilla continued his route through the T.C. System, raising his temperature even further, but the military was forced to make a hasty retreat from the battlefield when Biollante arrived in her Plant Beast form.
In 1992, Godzilla stormed into Sapporo, having defeated King Ghidorah, and started to destroy the city. Tossing Sapporo TV Tower aside, Godzilla was quickly confronted by the JSDF's conventional tanks and infantry. Godzilla easily destroyed these conventional forces with his atomic breath, before two MBT-MB92s arrived. The MBT-MB92s blasted Godzilla with their Maser beams, but the beast seemed unfazed. Stomping towards the tanks, Godzilla fell through a tunnel near a train station and was trapped in the street. The MBT-MB92s relentlessly blasted Godzilla while he was down, appearing to actually injure him and leaving Godzilla angrily roaring in pain. Godzilla brought himself to his feet, and then dealt with the aggressors swiftly, obliterating them with his atomic breath.
After defeating Mechagodzilla, Godzilla marched towards Kyoto to find the infant Godzillasaurus being contained at a research institute there. Something had to be done about the risk to the city, and the MBT-MB92 was deployed alongside a squadron of MBAW-93 tanks and a fleet of F-16 Fighting Falcon Jets by G-Force to intercept Godzilla before he reached the city. The attack was a failure, as Godzilla simply destroyed the jets with his atomic breath and kicked the tanks aside.
The MBT-MB92, alongside the MBAW-93 finally saw success in 1996, when they were deployed against the gathering juvenile Destoroyahs. Their combined maser and freezer weapons seemed to make light work of the small monsters, but when the creatures merged into a massive aggregate form, the battle was then hurled back into Destoroyah's favor. Destoroyah decimated large swathes of the military before changing form again into a flying form and escaping. Now, the MBT-MB92s had to undergo further modifications before they could be effective. Multiple rocket launcher systems loaded with freezer and cadmium missiles were attached alongside their Maser Cannons, and they were ready to roll into action once more. These modified MBT-MB92s were designated as DAG-MBT-MB92s.
The DAG-MBT-MB92s weren't seen again until the final minutes of Godzilla's climactic bout with Destoroyah in Tokyo. Now armed primarily with freezer weapons, the modified tanks were deployed alongside their familiar counterparts, the MBAW-93s and a new, more powerful variant of the Maser Cannon, the CLT-95, with the Super X3 leading the battle from above. Bombarding Destoroyah (who was struggling to escape Godzilla's grasp) with their various beams, the multitude of military vehicles blasted out the demonic monster's wings. Destoroyah fell to the ground, and exploded in a white mist of Micro-Oxygen.
Now, there was an even greater threat to Japan. Godzilla was beginning to enter an apocalyptic meltdown, one which would result in all of Japan being devoured by a nuclear 'China Syndrome'. The military now turned their freezer weapons onto the burning behemoth, and launched a volley of freezing strikes. In its initial deployment, the DAG-MBT-MB92s strove to raise Godzilla's temperature; now they attempted to bring it down. In the end, Godzilla entered meltdown, showering radiation over what seemed to be a doomed city. Fortunately, the bombardment of freezer weapons managed to minimize the damage from the meltdown and prevent Godzilla from burning into the Earth's core. However, this did not prevent catastrophic radiation from being released into Tokyo. In his final, fleeting moments, Godzilla's body showered radiation over the surrounding area and onto the body of his dead son, reviving him and fully mutating him to take his place as King of the Monsters; the radiation levels fell back to normal as Junior's growth concluded.
Although Godzilla had, in his final moments, saved the city and all of Japan, the JSDF had formed a pivotal role in ensuring his victory. The MBT-MB92 had now added a massive success to its otherwise disappointing record.
- Can fire a Maser beam from the cannon mounted on its surface.
- The MBT-MB92s in Monster Planet of Godzilla had a smaller turret mounted between the cockpit and main turret.
- In Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, the DAG-MBT-MB92s' normal Maser beams are replaced with Ultra-Low Temperature (ULT) cryolasers. Two eight-cell rocket launchers loaded with cadmium missiles and freezer missiles flank the cannon on each side, a grand total of 16 missiles.
- Can travel at 70 kilometers per hour.
- Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
- Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
- Monster Planet of Godzilla (1994)
- Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994) [deleted scene]
- Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
- The Gransazers (TV 2003) [reused prop]
- Godzilla Final Wars (2004) [stock footage]
The MBT-MB92 are an enemy that appears once the player reaches a diaster level of 4, appearing in conjunction with the ASTOL-MB93 Maser attack aircraft. They fire on the player, causing them to recoil and possibly lose fury levels. While MBT-MB92s can pose a credible threat to the player when in groups, they are no more durable than the standard tanks that appear throughout the game. A group of MBT-MB92s took part in freezing Burning Godzilla in the final cutscene.
An MBT-MB92 fires on Godzilla in defense of Sapporo
A DAG-MBT-MB92 with cadmium launchers in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
MBT-MB92 props in The Gransazers
MBT-MB92s firing in Bandai Namco's Godzilla
S.H. MonsterArts MBT-MB92, included with Burning Godzilla
Kotobukiya MBT-92 Model Kit, boxart by Yuji Kaida.
MBT-92 cameo on Kotobukiya Super-X2 Model Kit, boxart by Yuji Kaida.
- Two MBT-MB92 props appear at the beginning of the first episode of The Gransazers as one of the weapons used by an ancient, advanced human society to defend itself against Warp Monarch.
- MBT-MB92s took part in a JSDF ground assault against Godzilla along with Type 74 Tanks and an MBAW-93s in a deleted scene from Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla.
- While the MBAW-93 and CLT-95's optional missile pods are mounted in a vertical position, the MBT-MB92's are mounted in horizontal position.
- According to Bandai Entertainment Bible #50, Super Latest Godzilla Illustrated Guide, the new visual and sound effects for the MBT-MB92 introduced in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah may represent an improved version of the vehicle perfected by the National Center for Superscience when they partnered with the Cabinet Security Office and the Office of Special Strategic Operations in 1992. Since the experimental machine's construction was rushed to be dispatched for Operation Thunderbeam in 1989, the research and development may not have been completed.
This is a list of references for MBT-MB92. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 1 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.