The Griffon is named after the mythical creature of the same name, traditionally depicted as the combination of a lion and eagle. The craft is referred to simply as Griffon (グリフォン in Japanese, with its designation GX-813 written on its hull. The full name "GX-813 Griffon" has been used in English in the Japanese book Gurifon)Godzilla Toho Giant Monster Pictorial Book and the mobile video game Godzilla Defense Force.
The Griffon was first dispatched upon the first sighting of Godzilla in three months. Its pilot, Seiichi Hosono, went to Vertical Flight hover-mode as Captain Kiriko Tsujimori and Second in Command Tomoharu Okumura took the Griffon's life raft. They found a dead Meganula and collected a sample, but just as they finished, their Radio Operator Kazuo Mima informed them that sonar readings showed Godzilla directly under their raft. Tsujimori ordered Okumura to pull up to the Griffon, equipping a special radiation mask and firing a special transmitter bullet onto Godzilla's back. Tsujimori then ordered that an SGS probe be launched from Griffon to follow Godzilla.
Later, as the SGS showed that Godzilla was most likely to surface at Kiganjima, Griffon flew there and was accompanied by the Dragon Arrow squadron of Mitsubishi F-15J jets and they lured Godzilla closer as the "G Extermination Strategy" was about to be put into effect. As the Dimension Tide reached just 300 seconds left on its countdown before firing, the Griffon was suddenly swarmed by Meganula, putting the operation in jeopardy as the insect monsters fouled up DT's lock-on software. Luckily, Godzilla destroyed the worst of the swarm, allowing the Griffon to fly to a safe distance. The Dimension Tide fired on Godzilla, but only managed to bury the creature underground. The Griffon quickly retreated as Godzilla reemerged.
After Godzilla had annihilated Megaguirus, the Dimension Tide was still affected by Megaguirus' high frequency waves, leaving it with one final shot at exterminating Godzilla. However, the weapon's targeting system was unable to lock onto Godzilla, leading Tsujimori to abandon her comrades and rush to pilot the Griffon alone. Risking her life, Tsujimori flew toward Godzilla at full speed, allowing the Dimension Tide to lock onto her and fire on Godzilla in the process. She managed to eject from the Griffon just in time as the Dimension Tide blasted Godzilla, causing the King of the Monsters to suddenly disappear.
Weapons and specifications
- Able to carry a total of 3 passengers.
- Flight at Mach 3.
- Capable of vertical takeoff and landing.
- Equipped with Vulcan cannons and dual Photon cannons.
- Able to deploy SGS craft.
- Godzilla Unleashed: Double Smash (2007) - Nintendo DS [as Monster Island Fighter]
- Godzilla Defense Force (2019) - Android, iOS
This is a list of references for GX-813 Griffon. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
- Motoyama, Sho; Matsunomoto, Kazuhiro; Asai, Kazuyasu; Suzuki, Nobutaka; Kato, Masashi (28 September 2012). Toho Special Effects Movie Complete Works (1st ed.). villagebooks. ISBN 978-4864910132.
- Shioya, Masahiko, ed. (28 November 2014). Godzilla vs. Megaguirus Super Complete Works (Kindle ed.). Shogakukan. ISBN 4091014933.
- Nakamura, Tetsu; Shimazaki, Jun (1 April 2005). Godzilla Toho Giant Monster Pictorial Book (1st ed.). Shogakukan. ISBN 4-09-280052-5.
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.