Type 87 Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun
|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to meet the standards of Wikizilla.
The Type 87 Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun (87式自走高射機関砲, 87-shiki jisō kōsha kikanhō) is a Japanese air defense weapon co-designed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Japan Steel Works, with the chassis manufactured by the former and the twin cannon system provided by the latter. They were used by the JSDF in their battle with the Soldier Legion in the 1996 film Gamera 2: Attack of Legion.
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion
The JSDF were made aware that the Legion were likely targeting Tokyo next after Gamera (Heisei Trilogy) had stopped their previous two attempts to launch their seed into space. In order to protect the capitol the JSDF set up several lines of defense in the Mother Legion's path where she and her swarm would be met with heavy resistance. All out war breaks out as the Queen Legion marches on to Tokyo, eventually calling out her swarm to help deal with the opposition. Anticipating this move, the JSDF had several Type 87 Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Guns (SPAAG) in place for just this moment. The SPAAGs fired their twin cannons into the night sky, 35mm explosive tracer rounds lit up darkness, piercing and shredding the bug like exoskeletons of the flying Soldier Legion as their remains fall to the houses and streets below them, the weapons succeeding in the first stages of thinning out the horde while more plans were being made to further divide and conquer the Symbiotic Legion.
Weapons and equipment
- Oerlikon GDF 35 mm twin autocannon capable of firing a variety of shells including high explosive, incendiary, semi-armour piercing and anti-missile rounds that fire 152 heavy tungsten metal sub-projectiles as well as tracer rounds for poor visibility conditions.
- Two Smoke Grenade Dischargers, each carrying three smoke grenades for a grand total of six.
- Land speed of 53 km/h (33 mph).
- Armor composed of steel and other classified material.
- Operational range of 300 km (190 mi).
- Equipped with a radar to detect aerial targets and threats.
- Gamera 2: Attack of Legion (1996)
- The MBAW-93 twin Maser cannon from Toho's Godzilla films are based off this off this weapon and other self-propelled anti-aircraft guns.
- This weapon is a Japanese variant of the German Flakpanzer Gepard, with both weapons using twin 35 mm Oerlikon GDF cannons.
- Originally a Type 61 Tank chassis was planned to be used as the body but was rejected in favor of a Type 74 Tank chassis instead.
- The weapon was made as a replacement for the M42 Duster SPAAG provided by the United States.
This is a list of references for Type 87 Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.