The MBAW-93 tanks were first used when the JSDF confronted the larval Battra in Nagoya. Much to the JSDF's chagrin, the beams relentlessly fired by the tanks failed to even scratch the larva's hide, and beams from the monster's eyes and horn made light work of the powerful machines. Several MBAW-93 tanks along with MBT-MB92s and new Maser-mounted aircraft called ASTOL-MB93s were later deployed to halt Godzilla's approach to Yokohama when he emerged from Mount Fuji. However, Godzilla easily destroyed the machines with his atomic breath, and continued on his way.
In 1994, MBAW-93s were deployed by G-Force alongside a detachment of F-16 Fighting Falcons and MBT-MB92 tanks to engage Godzilla, fresh from temporarily defeating Mechagodzilla and en-route to Kyoto to track down BabyGodzilla. Godzilla had little trouble with the machines, kicking the tanks aside and shooting down two of the F-16s with his atomic breath before continuing on his way.
In 1996, the MBAW-93s and MBT-MB92s were modified, their Maser cannons replaced with new ultra-low temperature (ULT) laser beams, also known as cryolasers. These modified Maser cannons as well as a new model dubbed the CLT-95 were deployed alongside Type 90 Tanks armed with cadmium shells to engage the juvenile Destoroyahs in the outskirts of Tokyo. Kensaku Ijuin believed that these freezer weapons could cause the Micro-Oxygen in the creatures' bodies to be liquefied and kill them. The various vehicles seemed effective at first, until the creatures merged into a huge aggregate form. The giant Destoroyah then made short work of the military's forces before transforming into a flying form and flying away.
The modified MBAW-93s, MBT-MB92s and CLT-95s were present again during Godzilla and Destoroyah's climactic confrontation near Haneda Airport. When Destoroyah was overwhelmed by Godzilla's temperature, the evil beast tried to fly away. The tanks and the Super X3 fired at Destoroyah with their cryolasers, causing his wings to freeze and sending him plummeting to the superheated ground below, where he exploded into a white mist. Godzilla then began to melt down, with the tanks opening fire on him with their entire payload of freezer weapons. The onslaught was successful in minimizing the damage from Godzilla's meltdown and preventing him from burning into the planet's core, but it could not stop catastrophic amounts of radiation from being released into Tokyo. Thankfully, the radiation was absorbed by the previously-dead Godzilla Junior maturing him into a new Godzilla.
Accompanied by two MBT-MB92s and a CLT-95, a MBAW-93 battled Godzilla in Sukagawa.
- Able to move at 42 kilometers per hour.
- Capable of firing two beams simultaneously from its side-mounted Maser cannons.
- Godzilla: Giant Monster March (1995) - Sega Game Gear
- Godzilla Generations (1998) - Sega Dreamcast
- Godzilla Unleashed: Double Smash (2007) - Nintendo DS [as Monster Island Tank]
- Godzilla Battle Line (2021) - Android and iOS
MBAW-93 concept art by Shinji Nishikawa
The MBAW-93s fight against Godzilla with the MBT-MB92s, but are destroyed as Godzilla kicks them aside
MBAW-93 prop in The Gransazers
- An MBAW-93 prop appears at the beginning of the first episode of The Gransazers as one of the weapons used by an ancient, advanced human society to defend itself against Warp Monarch.
- The MBAW-93 was based on the Type 87 Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun, the Japanese variant of the German SPAAG Flakpanzer Gepard.
- An MBAW-93 took part in a JSDF ground assault against Godzilla along with Type 74 Tanks and MBT-MB92s in a deleted scene from Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla.
- Some of the MBAW-93's early concept art shows a design with one large cannon that has four panels near the tip. This design would end up being used for the CLT-95.
- The MBAW-93's twin-Maser cannons would be switched out with Ultra-Low Temperature Laser cannons in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. These freezer lasers have some basis in reality, as Laser cooling is a real world field of science with several methods of cooling things to near absolute zero temperature using lasers.
- While the MBAW-93 and CLT-95's optional missile pods are mounted in a vertical position, the MBT-MB92's are mounted in horizontal position.
This is a list of references for MBAW-93. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.