The Haruna-class destroyer (はるな型護衛艦 was a destroyer class built for the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force in the early 1970s. Two Haruna-class destroyers were deployed in total, the second of which, the DDH-142 Hiei Harunagata Goeikan) (
History[edit | edit source]
Alongside several Hatsuyuki-class destroyers, including the DD-122 Hatsuyuki, and UH-1B Hueys, the Haruna-class destroyer DDH-142 Hiei confronted Godzilla in the Uraga Channel after he had been freed from Mount Mihara by Bio-Major. The craft's efforts to halt the monster were unsuccessful, however, and the Hiei was destroyed by a blast of Godzilla's atomic breath.
The Hiei again reappeared alongside a fleet of Hatsuyuki destroyers to confront the larval Mothra as she approached Japan. The ships opened fire on Mothra, aided by more attack helicopters, eventually setting the waters around her ablaze. Mothra pressed on however, destroying one of the Hatsuyukis (marked DD-134) and seemingly driving away the remainder of the fleet.
The Hiei fought its final battle in 1995, when Godzilla appeared near the coast of Kagoshima as he traveled across Japan to face SpaceGodzilla and free his son LittleGodzilla from his crystal prison. As with its first deployment, the ship's weapons proved ineffective, and Godzilla destroyed it with a blast of atomic breath, this time for good.
Filmography[edit | edit source]
- Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
- Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
- Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994) [stock footage]
- Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)
- Godzilla Final Wars (2004) [stock footage]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Due to there being only a single real-world craft, the Hiei presents a kind of continuity error in the Heisei films, as it reappears in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah after having been destroyed in the previous film. Whether this was intended to be a rebuilt version of the previous craft or a different ship altogether is unclear, though the publication Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah Super Complete Works lists the ship which transports Miki Saegusa and Professor Mazaki as indeed being the DDH-142 Hiei.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While Godzilla vs. G-Force Superweapon Manual (p. 62) lists the DDH-142 Hiei's standard displacement as 4,950 tons, it should be noted that this refers to metric tons, and is equivalent to approximately 5,456 U.S. tons or 4,872 long tons.
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for Haruna-class destroyer. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 1 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.