History[edit | edit source]
After the first Moguera deployed by the Mysterians was destroyed, the Earth Defense Force took advantage of what little time they had to begin developing and mass producing the Markalite Cannons, which were to be carried in giant rockets called Markalite GYROs. The climactic battle finally arrived, and the Markalite Cannons were deployed near the Mysterian Dome. At first, the weapons appeared to be useless, failing to break through the Dome's reflective exterior. To make matters worse, the Mysterians used the dome to summon a flood, washing one of the cannons. Another cannon fell into a chasm when the second Moguera surfaced next to it, destroying both the mech and the weapon. With firing support from long-range missiles, the Alpha, and the Beta No. 2, along with internal sabotage by Ryoichi Shiraishi, the Markalite Cannons managed to destroy the dome's exterior, setting the base on fire and ultimately causing its destruction in a huge explosion, ending the threat of the Mysterians.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- The Markelite Cannon can emit a powerful ray with a range of 1.5 kilometers.
- The dish is immune to the Mysterian Dome's rays. It was also intended to be able to reflect them, but this feature failed in practice.
- Retrorockets allow for a controlled landing.
- Caterpillar tracks grant it limited maneuverability.
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
The Markalite Cannon can only remain operational for 75 minutes.
Video games[edit | edit source]
- Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (1988) - Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom
- Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters (1992) - Nintendo Entertainment System
- Godzilla Defense Force (2019) - Android and iOS
- Godzilla Battle Line (2021) - Android and iOS
Markalite Cannons appear as regular enemies in Wilderness stages. Their rays, which can be fired horizontally or diagonally, will stun Godzilla or Mothra if they connect. When they are defeated, they explode.
Markalite Cannons, called "Freezers" in-game, are among the most powerful units at the player's disposal, taking three turns to deploy. Their rays deal damage, prevent monsters from moving for several turns, and ground flying monsters.
A Markalite Cannon in Godzilla: Monster of Monsters!
A Markalite Cannon in Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A falling Markalite cannon crushes the second Moguera
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The basic design of the Markalite Cannon inspired several other weapons in Toho's science fiction films, such as the Atomic Heat Cannon from Battle in Outer Space, the Atomic Heat Ray Gun from Mothra, and most famously the Maser Cannon from The War of the Gargantuas, which would become a recurring weapon in the Godzilla series.
- In the English subtitles for Tokyo Shock's DVD release of The Mysterians, the Markalite Cannon is mistakenly called the "Marcalite Farp."
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for Markalite Cannon. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.