The Ripley is likely named after Ellen Ripley, heroine of the Alien film series. The sub is never referenced in the dialogue of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and the film's script only describes it as a "Deep-Sea Search Boat" (深海調査艇. Shinkai Chōsatei) This is also the name used in numerous Japanese publications, such as Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah Monster Complete Works, Godzilla Dictionary [New Edition], and All Toho Mechanic Pictorial Book. However, "NSTL RIPLEY" is written on the ship's hull. All Toho Mechanic Pictorial Book erroneously renders this as "REPLEY."
The NSTL Ripley was portrayed by a modified Wadatsumi prop from the 1974 series Submersion of Japan: Television Series. The labels on its hull were changed, and a searchlight was added to its underside.
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
In the distant future of 2204, Earth Union Organization representative Morrys, time traveler Emmy Kano, and the android M11 used the NSTL Ripley to locate the comatose King Ghidorah beneath the Sea of Okhotsk. The three-headed dragon had been bested two centuries ago by Godzilla, who proceeded to wipe Japan off the face of the map; wishing to avoid this outcome, Kano pleaded with Morrys to have Ghidorah converted into a cyborg that could be brought back in time to 1992. Morrys reluctantly agreed.
This is a list of references for NSTL Ripley. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
- Sagami, Yasuyuki, ed. (28 March 2014). Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah Super Complete Works (eBook ed.). Shogakukan. ISBN 978-4-09-101428-3.
- Iwabatake, Toshiaki; Ono, Koichiro (5 December 1991). Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah Monster Complete Works. Kodansha. ISBN 4-06-177720-3.
- Nomura, Kohei (7 August 2014). Godzilla Dictionary [New Edition]. Kasakura Publishing. ISBN 978-4-7730-8725-3.
- Ozawa, Ryoko; Murai, Shugo; Imai, Atsushi; Nakamura, Satoshi; Tomoi, Taketo; Shimazaki, Jun, eds. (20 July 2018). All Toho Mechanic Pictorial Book (2nd ed.). Yosensha. ISBN 978-4-8003-1461-1.
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.