The Magic Serpent (1966)
The Magic Serpent (怪竜大決戦 is a Kairyū Daikessen, lit. Great Mystic Dragon Battle)1966 tokusatsu kaiju and ninja fantasy film produced by Toei Company and based on the Japanese folktale "The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya." It was released to Japanese theaters on March 5, 1966, and to American television syndication via American-International Television in 1968.
| This plot section is useless.
Please help out by editing this page and adding the plot.
To be added.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Tetsuya Yamanouchi
- Written by Masaru Igami
- Story by Mokuami Kawatake
- Produced by Shigeru Okada
- Music by Toshiaki Tsushima
- Cinematography by Motoya Washio
- Edited by Tadao Kanda
- Production design by Seiji Yada
- Monster suits created by Equis Productions
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Hiroki Matsukata as Ikazuchi-Maru / Jiraiya
- Tomoko Ogawa as Tsunade
- Ryutaro Otomo as Orochi-Maru
- Bin Amatsu as Daijo Yuki
- Nobuo Kaneko as Dojin Hiki
- Sen Hara as Spider Woman
- Kensaku Hara as Zenbei
- Masataka Iwao as Kido
- Seizo Fukumoto as Ninja
- Akira Shioji
- Jiraiya Toad
- Orochimaru Serpent
- Dojin Hiki Eagle
- Tsunade's Spider
- Main article: The Magic Serpent/Gallery.
The Magic Serpent was released directly to television in the United States by American International Television in 1968, with dubbing by Titan Productions. AIP-TV's version of the film is uncut, save for the removal of the song "Forward, Jiraiya!" at the end. All of the monsters' roars were replaced with those of Toho monsters: Jiraita Toad uses Rodan's roar, Orochimaru Serpent uses Godzilla and Gaira's roars, Dojin Hiki Eagle uses Mothra's roar, and Tsunade's Spider uses Ebirah's roar.
- Great Mystic Dragon Battle (Literal Japanese Title)
- Grand Duel in Magic (International English Title)
- Monsters of the Apocalypse (Les Monstres de L'Apocalypse; French theatrical)
- Ninja Apocalypse (French video)
Retromedia/Image Entertainment DVD (2004)
- Region: 1
- Discs: 1
- Audio: English (2.0, Titan Productions dub)
- Subtitles: None
- Special Features: None
- Notes: Cropped to 1.33:1. Packaged with Gamera vs. Gyaos.
Toei Video DVD (2004)
- Region: 2
- Discs: 1
- Audio: Japanese (1.0)
- Subtitles: Unknown
- Special Features: Theatrical trailer, textless trailer
- Fragments of an international English dub for The Magic Serpent appear on the film's French theatrical dub. The complete dub remains undiscovered.
Showing 0 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.