Kujira Gami (1962)
Disappointed! A mad Giant Whale! Kuroshio is dying in vermilion and slammed into a rage! Katsu Hongo is dying too! (気が飛ぶ! 狂う巨鯨! 黒潮を朱に染めて 怒濤に叩きつける 勝・本郷の死斗!)
Kujira Gami (鯨神, lit. The Whale God) is a 1962 tokusatsu film produced by Daiei, and based on a 1961 novel of the same name written by Koichiro Uno. It was released in Japanese theaters on July 15, 1962.
A small fishing village is terrorized by a seemingly unkillable whale. Shaki, whose family has been destroyed by the animal's rampage, becomes obsessed with killing it. Meanwhile, a brutal drunkard comes to the village, intent on killing the whale himself.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Tokuzo Tanaka
- Written by Kaneto Shindo
- Based on a novel by Koichiro Uno
- Produced by Masaichi Nagata
- Music by Akira Ifukube
- Cinematography by Setsuo Kobayashi
- Production design by Shigeo Mano
- Special effects by Chikara Komatsubara, Takesaburo Watanabe, Hiroshi Ishida
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Katsu Shintaro as Kishu
- Kojiro Hongo as Shaki
- Fujimura Shiho as Ei
- Reiko Fujiwara as Okoma
- Michiko Takano as Yuki
- Takemura Yosuke as Kasuke
- Takashi Shimura as Village elder
- Kyoko Enami
- Kichijiro Ueda
- Koji Fujiyama
- Bontaro Miake
- Main article: Kujira Gami (film)/Gallery.
Kadokawa DVD (2006 / 2014)
- Region: 2
- Discs: 1
- Audio: Japanese (Dolby Digital 2.0 Japanese)
- Subtitles: Japanese
- Special features: Audio commentary (seemingly the 2014 release only), trailer, cast and crew profiles, photo gallery
Showing 8 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.