Godzilla Singular Point (TV 2021)
|This article concerns a recently-released film or other piece of media.
More information will be added to the article as it becomes available.
Face down a hopeless future (Godzilla). (抗えない
Godzilla Singular Point (ゴジラ
In the year 2030, Nigashio City, Chiba Prefecture.
|“||Brought together by a mysterious song, a grad student and an engineer lead the fight against an unimaginable force that may spell doom for the world.||„|
|No.||Title||Directed by||Animation directors||Story artist(s)||Air date|
|Jacks-of-all-trades Yun and Haberu investigate sounds emanating from an empty mansion. They locate the source nearby, while Mei hears the same tune.|
|Yun, Goro and their robot Jet Jaguar clash with a hostile pterosaur-like kaiju, Rodan. Mei travels to Tokyo to meet with a world-renowned researcher.|
|A legion of Rodan swarm towards Nigashio. The Otaki Factory crew scramble to lure them away from the city, but soon find themselves surrounded.|
|Yun and Haberu deduce that Misakioku may be linked to the Rodan incursion. Mei attends Li's lecture in Dubai, where the professor reveals new material.|
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Atsushi Takahashi
- Episode directors Noriyuki Nomata, Takuma Suzuki, Daisuke Tsukushi, Tsuyoshi Tobita
- Chief animation director and character designer Satoshi Ishino
- Animation directors Koichi Horikawa, Chiyo Nakayama, Shinya Yamada, Naoyuki Konno, Ikko Inaguma, Satoshi Ishino, Satomi Kani, Eiko Saito
- Written and organized by Toh EnJoe
- Associate writer Keigo Koyanagi
- Executive producer Keiji Ota
- Co-executive producers Takayuki Oshima, Masahiko Minami, Eiji Inomoto
- Produced by Takashi Yoshizawa, Naoki Amano, Kiyotaka Waki
- Associate producers Akito Takahashi, Yoshihiro Furusawa
- Music by Kan Sawada
- Opening theme "in case..."
- Performed by BiSH
- Lyrics by JxSxK
- Composed by Kenta Matsukuma
- Arranged by SCRAMBLES
- Ending theme "Blue"
- Performed by Polkadot Stingray
- Written and composed by Shizuku
- Arranged by Polkadot Stingray
- Insert song "ALAPU UPALA"
- Performed by Annette Philip
- Lyrics by Goro Matsui
- Composed and arranged by Kan Sawada
- Cinematography by Yu Wakabayashi
- Edited by Rie Matsubara
- Production design by Norihiko Yokomatsu
- Storyboards by Atsushi Takahashi, Yasushi Muraki, Tomoyuki Itamura
- CG directors Ryuichi Ikeuchi, Yuji Koshida, Seishi Suzuki
- VFX director Kensuke Yamamoto
- Character concept designs by Kazue Kato
- Monster design by Eiji Yamamoto
- Character names in red are tentative, pending official translations.
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Yume Miyamoto as Mei Kamino
- Shoya Ishige as Yun Arikawa
- Misaki Kuno as Pero 2
- Rie Kugimiya as Jung
- Taro Kiuchi as Haberu Kato
- Wataru Takagi as Goro Otaki
- Ayako Takeuchi as Satomi Kanahara
- Yohei Azakami as Shunya Sato
- Jin Urayama as Tsunetomo Yamamoto
- Kotori Koiwai as Yukie Kanoko
- Kenichi Suzumura as Takehiro Kai
- Kaho Koda as Dr. Li Guiying
- Hiromichi Tezuka as Makita K. Nakagawa / busdriver (episode 1) / TV commentator A (episode 2) / senior air traffic controller (episode 3)
- Ryotaro Okiayu as Bela "BB" Bhan
- Runa Onodera as Rina Bhan
- Kenta Miyake as Michael Stephen
- Masako Isobe as Tilda Miller
- Tomoyuki Shimura as Colonel Yoshiyasu Matsubara
- Hiromi Yoshiyama as Norikiyo Fujiwara
- Hiroshi Naka as police chief (episode 1)
- Genki Yoshimoto as police officer (episode 1) / newscaster A (episode 2) / passenger A (episode 3) / squad leader (episode 4)
- Miyu Komaki as bus announcer (episode 1)
- Ryosuke Hara as voice on car radio (episode 1) / police officer (episode 2) / air traffic controller (episode 3) / sailor B (episode 4)
- Naho Oketani as boys at fair (episode 1) / supermarket clerk (episode 2)
- Shunichi Maki as TV commentator B (episode 2) / police officer (episode 3) / TV commentator (episode 4)
- Rika Abe as news reporter (episode 2)
- Eriko Matsui as announcer (episode 2) / newscaster (episode 3) / newscaster (episode 4)
- Kazuyoshi Hayashi as moderator (episode 2) / town hall official (episode 3) / moderator (episode 4)
- Takuya Nakashima as newscaster B (episode 2) / reporter (episode 3) / reporter (episode 4)
- Kenta Sasa as researcher (episode 2) / TV commentator (episode 3) / sailor A (episode 4)
- Teruyuki Tanzawa as scholar (episode 2) / expert (episode 3)
- Arisa Sakuraba as children (episode 2) / passenger B (episode 3) / announcer (episode 4)
- Riho Kyuma as high school girl A (episode 3)
- Shiori Hashimoto as high school girl B (episode 3)
News of Godzilla Singular Point was leaked through Twitter by user @SugoiLITE on October 6, 2020. An official announcement followed later that day (or October 7 in Japan). Director Atsushi Takahashi, screenwriter Toh EnJoe, character designer Kazue Kato, monster designer Eiji Yamamoto and composer Kan Sawada each provided brief statements on the series, with Yamamoto mentioning the appearance of multiple monsters and dedicating his work to his late brother. On October 12, it was announced that a panel for Singular Point would be held during Godzilla Fest Online 2020 on November 3, with guests including Takahashi, EnJoe, Bones producer Naoki Amano, Orange producer Jiro Ando and Toho producer Takashi Yoshizawa. A new poster for the anime was released on October 26, along with three screenshots. A short trailer followed later that day, showing off many of the series' other kaiju besides Godzilla.
On New Year's Day in Japan, the Singular Point Twitter revealed a new piece of concept art, giving a clearer look at Godzilla's face. Two days later, the godzilla-sp.jp site was updated to include Kazue Kato's concept art of the show's human cast.
A second PV was released on February 1, revealing new footage and the series' ending theme "Blue" by the rock band Polkadot Stingray.
Concept art of Godzilla illustrated by Eiji Yamamoto and colored by Yuji Kaneko was released on the night of February 11, giving the first full body look at the design.
On February 18, it was announced that a Godzilla Singular Point panel would be held by stars Yume Miyamoto, Shoya Ishige, Misaki Kuno and Yohei Azakami at AnimeJapan 2021 on March 27.
Several announcements were made on February 22, including the reveal of new key art and the name of the series' opening theme "in case..." performed by Japanese girl group BiSH. The series will debut on Netflix in Japan on March 25, ahead of its April television broadcast.
The third promotional video for Godzilla Singular Point was released on March 9, giving the first glimpses at Godzilla in motion as well as several of the series' other monsters.
The first two episodes of the series were screened at Toho Cinemas Hibiya in Tokyo on March 19 as part of a "Completion Announcement Event." The event and first episode were also streamed on YouTube exclusively in Japan.
A collaboration between Godzilla Singular Point and the Japanese boat race Boat Race Amagasaki was announced on January 20, 2021 with details to follow in February. A "Godzilla Singular Point Cup" race was held from March 10 to 15. An official website for the collaboration, br-amagasaki-godzilla-sp.jp, was launched on February 8 along with a short promotional video for the event. Various pieces of merchandise were available to those who spent over 1,000 yen in online voting, with more given out as part of a raffle for those who bet on the six winning racers.
Bandai Movie Monster Series figures of the Singular Point Godzilla and Jet Jaguar were announced on February 28, the former revealing a new name of "Godzilla Ultima." Additional figures, including those of Anguirus and Manda, were reported by SciFi Japan on March 13.
Various Singular Point clothing items were announced on March 16. Two days later, it was announced that additional merchandise would be made available for online purchase during AnimeJapan 2021.
The first images of the Bandai Anguirus and Manda figures surfaced online on March 19. Both figures, as well as a third of Godzilla Aquatilis, were officially revealed on April 15.
- Main article: Godzilla Singular Point/Gallery.
- Godzilla S.P (ゴジラS.P Gojira Esupī; Japanese abbreviated title)
- Godzilla: Singular Point (哥吉拉：奇異點 Gējílā Qíyì Diǎn; Chinese title)
- Godzilla S.P: Singular Point (고지라 S.P: 싱귤러 포인트; Korean title)
- Godzilla: Genesis of World's End (ก็อดซิลล่า ปฐมบทวิบัติโลก; Thai title)
- Main article: Godzilla Singular Point/Videos.
- Godzilla Singular Point is the first televised Godzilla series since Godzilla TV and the first one to be animated since Godzilla: The Series.
- The ending sequence of Godzilla Singular Point contains numerous references to past Godzilla and kaiju films.
- The sequence begins with Mei Kamino sleeping face-down on a desk, holding a pencil with a Super X pencil topper. One of the books on the desk features Mothra's symbol on the cover. Next to her is a portable DVD player, which displays an advertisement for Bireley's Orange. She is awoken by a news report, which shows a woman resembling Kayoco Anne Patterson from Shin Godzilla reporting on the appearances of several monsters for the fictional network GNN. A man and woman are first seen standing next to a giant egg which pulses red, similar to BabyGodzilla's egg from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. Biollante is then seen floating on Lake Ashi in her Flower Beast form, followed by an Anguirus resembling the Showa incarnation erupting from underground in a city. Near Atami Castle, Miki Saegusa from the Heisei Godzilla series and Yuri Tachibana, Haruki Kadokura, and Jun Maruo from GMK witness a flying Hedorah whizz past. Finally, the Rodan from Godzilla: King of the Monsters can be seen flying through the clouds from a jet cockpit.
- Next, Mei runs past several wrecked cars. Akane Yashiro, Tokumitsu Yuhara and his daughter Sara from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla can be seen talking behind an Anti-Megalosaurus Force truck. Mei also wears a Kiryu Squad patch.
- In the next scene, a man resembling Daisuke Serizawa from the original Godzilla is seen inspecting the corpse of a Meganulon from Rodan. A crowd surrounds them, composed of Shinichi Ozaki, Miyuki Otonashi and Anna Otonashi from Godzilla: Final Wars, Yuji Shinoda, Io Shinoda, Yuki Ichinose and Shiro Miyasaka from Godzilla 2000: Millennium along with the Godzilla Prediction Network truck, Ichiro Miki and his mother Tamie from All Monsters Attack, and Gengo Odaka, Machiko Shima, Tomoko Tomoe, Shosaku Takasugi, Takeshi Shima, Fumio Sudo, Kubota and two Nebulan agents from Godzilla vs. Gigan.
- In the following scene, Mei observes her laptop screen which displays "TERZETTO," "GAMESOME" and "TIGERISH" backward, along with the letters O and D. Letters light up red to spell out the name of kaiju, including Godzilla, Rodan, "Meganuron," Anguirus and Manda. A video can then be seen paused on her screen, showing Yoshimura, Dayo, Yata and Ryota from Ebirah, Horror of the Deep with a Shockirus from The Return of Godzilla skewered on a pole.
- After this, a Godzilla footprint is shown stamped into a road. Ichiro Miki and another boy are seen being held back by police, while a group of other onlookers gathers a short distance away, one of which wears a red jacket similar to Yukio Keuchi from Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
- The next shot shows a Showa-era Kumonga climbing on the front of a building, next to a sign with the Shobijin on it. On the ground, Zone Fighter, Zone Angel and Zone Junior from Zone Fighter, Namikawa from Invasion of Astro-Monster, and Hiromi Ogashira from Shin Godzilla are among the onlookers.
- The next scene depicts the Shobijin from Final Wars standing below Mothra, who flies a short distance away.
- In the next scene, King Caesar can be seen biting Manda in the middle of a city. Among the fleeing citizens are Keisuke Shimizu, Masahiko Shimizu, Saeko Kanagusuku, Nami Kunigami, Tengan Kunigami, Hideto Miyajima, Ikuko Miyajima, Nanbara and what resembles a Simian all from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, as well as Niko Tatopoulos, Audrey Timmonds, Philippe Roaché, Lucy Palotti, Victor Palotti, Mendel Craven, Elsie Chapman and Mayor Ebert from the 1998 GODZILLA.
- The next shot shows a damaged Showa Jet Jaguar holding Megalon's horn next to Kiryu, who turns his head backward similar to the Showa Mechagodzilla. Among the onlookers is the vagrant from The Return of Godzilla.
- In the penultimate shot, a Godzilla is seen picking up a train before firing his atomic breath into the distance. In the foreground, characters resembling Naotaro Daigo from Final Wars and Kyohei Yamane from the original Godzilla are depicted.
- Finally, Mei is seen back on her laptop in a coffee shop. Behind her, characters resembling Emiko Yamane and Hideto Ogata from the original Godzilla and Machiko Tsuge and Hayato Igarashi from the Kiryu Saga can be spotted sitting at tables together.
- A butterfly with wing patterns resembling those of Mothra appears briefly in the third promotional video for Godzilla Singular Point, landing on Jet Jaguar's hand.
- Official website
- Twitter account
- Godzilla Singular Point on Netflix
- Godzilla Singular Point on toho.co.jp
- Godzilla Singular Point x Boat Race Amagasaki collaboration website
- While the characters S.P would normally be read as esupī (エスピー), the furigana 「シンギュラポイント」 indicates its pronunciation as Shingyura Pointo ("Singular Point"). In the absence of furigana, the title may be written with angle brackets as 「ゴジラS.P＜シンギュラポイント＞」. The series' official logo capitalizes its English title as "Godzilla Singular point."
- Episodes 1 and 2 premiered ahead of their Netflix release at a screening on March 19.
This is a list of references for Godzilla Singular Point. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: