Dr. Craven was part of the scientific team sent to Panama to investigate reports of a giant creature coming ashore there. While there, Mendel delivered a video tape containing information on the creature to Elsie Chapman and met Niko Tatopoulos. Craven played a very minor if nonexistent role in the subsequent efforts to destroy the creature, later dubbed Godzilla by the media.
Following Godzilla's defeat at the hands of the military, Craven was working alongside Elsie Chapman, only for the military to seize their equipment. Mendel and Elsie decided to join Niko Tatopoulos' scientific team, H.E.A.T., to study the various gigantic mutations appearing around the world. Mendel also brought along his invention, N.I.G.E.L., to assist with H.E.A.T.'s efforts. From then on, Mendel traveled with H.E.A.T. and the new Godzilla around the globe, discovering new mutations and alien threats. Mendel affirmed his position as a coward with a sense of duty, and was cemented as the leader of H.E.A.T. whenever Nick wasn't present.
In an alternate future where the world was overrun with creatures called D.R.A.G.M.A.s that wiped out all of Earth's mutations and most of humanity, Mendel was one of the leaders of mankind's last resistance against the creatures, along with Anthony Hicks. The rest of H.E.A.T. was pulled into this future and met the future Mendel, who told them about how they all disappeared one day only to resurface now. H.E.A.T. managed to return to the past and with Godzilla's help destroyed all of the immature D.R.A.G.M.A.s, preventing the hellish future from ever coming to be.
- Godzilla: The Series (1999) - Nintendo Game Boy/Game Boy Color
- Godzilla: The Series - Monster Wars (2000) - Nintendo Game Boy Color
One morning while Craven was still in bed, Nick summoned H.E.A.T. to discuss investigation of an electric mutation. He charged Dr. Craven with trying to follow the creature with himself and N.I.G.E.L.. They found their query at the same time as Godzilla, and Craven flew N.I.G.E.L. closer, but the electrical monster destroyed the probe immediately, to Craven's dismay. Later, the team traveled halfway around the world to visit an island's mutant ecosystem only to have the Heat-Seeker break down. He and Randy were left behind to repair it while the rest of the crew explored the island, which upset Craven's many allergies. After leaving the island, the strange army attacking Godzilla grew even more powerful. The team then investigated missing swimmers on a beach coated in tar that Mendel discovered drained those entrapped by it of their electrolytes. While trying to puzzle the connection between the two, they were attacked by the tar's apparent source: Mutant Giant Squids. However, after Godzilla eliminated them, a new foe arose: Crustaceous Rex. When it too was defeated, Craven was thoroughly tired of surprises and looked forward to returning home, drawing ridicule from Randy. Later, when Godzilla began acting strangely, it was discovered to be due to a "Neural Stimulator" planted there by billionaire tech-guru Cameron Winter. Craven was able to use N.I.G.E.L. to remove it, and Godzilla destroyed Winter's entire operation before the team returned to New York on moonlit waters.
Dr. Craven in Godzilla: The Series
Mendel in an alternate future in the Godzilla: The Series episode Future Shock
Mendel and H.E.A.T. in winter gear
Mendel and H.E.A.T. in Beachwear
Mendel and Randy in Underground Movement
- Dr. Craven has numerous allergies, which becomes a running joke in both GODZILLA and Godzilla: The Series.
- He is specifically allergic to: Several varieties of trees and shrubs, most grasses, a couple dozen animals, 25 or so foods, rubber and rubber products.
- Dr. Craven is the creator of H.E.A.T.'s research robot N.I.G.E.L.
- Dr. Craven, Mayor Ebert, and Anthony Hicks are the only characters in Godzilla: The Series to be voiced by the same actors who played them in GODZILLA.
- Mendel took Bagpipe lessons in High School.
- Mendel is skilled at Origami
- The film version of Craven makes a brief cameo along with other human characters from across the franchise in the end credits sequence for Godzilla: Singular Point, fleeing from a dueling Manda and King Caesar.
Showing 1 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.