Zone Fighter / Hikaru Sakimori
Name[edit | edit source]
As part of the Zone Family (ゾーンファミリ, the "Zone" in the "Zone Fighter" moniker is shared with his relatives Zone Angel, Zone Junior, and Zone Great. The "Fighter" Zōn Famiri) (ファイター in his name, which he is often simply referred to as within the show, perhaps indicates his superior combat ability. Direct origins or inspiration for the name are unknown. Zone Fighter is also referred to as Meteor Human Zone or Meteor Man Zone faitā) (流星人間ゾーン. Ryūsei Ningen Zōn)
Development[edit | edit source]
Zone Fighter was designed by artist Nobuhiro Okaseko, who was instructed by producer Kimihiko Eto to come up with "something similar to Ultraman." The hero's mask was modeled by Toho veteran Nobuyuki Yasumaru, and, as with other kaiju productions of the time, a wire-operated prop was used for flying scenes. That prop, along with the upper half of the suit and a miniature Hikaru have survived into the present day and are sometimes put on display at expos. Kazuya Aoyama played Zone's civilian form, while Tatsumi Nikamoto and Kinichi Kusumi donned the suits for his superhero and giant forms, respectively.
Design[edit | edit source]
Zone Fighter has a silver humanoid face, with yellow eyes and a silver antenna protruding from his forehead. His body is mostly silver except for a blue triangular pattern on his upper chest, two red lighting bolts across his body, and a large multi-colored belt buckle-like object on his lower body. His legs and arms are blue and his gloves are silver. The outer parts of his boots are green while the inner parts are red.
History[edit | edit source]
Hikaru Sakimori and his family are natives of the planet Peaceland, which became under attack by the beings of a neighboring planet, Garoga. The planet was ultimately seized and destroyed, forcing the Zone Family to flee to Earth. The Garogas, wanting only for Hikaru's death, followed the family to Earth and began plotting its subjugation. Hikaru and his siblings possess the ability to transform into the superheroes known as Zone Fighter, Zone Angel, and Zone Junior. However, Hikaru is the only one of the three who is also able to grow to giant size. The Garogas often deploy giant monsters to terrorize Earth and Hikaru uses his unique ability to challenge them. By day, Hikaru is a test driver for a car manufacturer, but harbors only contempt for the Garogas, battling against them to protect his new home planet.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Transformation and size changing[edit | edit source]
Hikaru Sakimori and his siblings can assume their Zone forms by shouting "Zone Fight Power" (ゾーンファイト・パワー) whilst pointing toward the sky. In this state, Hikaru's natural attributes are heightened, such as his strength and even hearing ability, the latter increasing twofold. Hikaru can further transform into his giant state by shouting "Zone Double Fight" (ゾーンダブルファイト), and is the only member of his family to possess the ability to do so. Hikaru may on occasion transform from his human state directly into giant form, skipping over the intermediate Zone Fighter stage entirely. Inversely, Zone Fighter is able to willingly shrink from his giant state back into human form, but may also be forcibly returned to regular size if he runs short on power or sustains too great of damage, as was the case during one of his various battles against King Ghidorah.
Physical abilities[edit | edit source]
- Zone Fighter's strength is on par, or equal, to that of most Terror-Beasts.
- Zone Fighter posses superhuman strength even in his human sized form, able to lift Goram's foot as it attempted to crush him.
- Zone Fighter can perform an attack known as Meteor Punch (流星パンチ), where his fists speed up into a blinding fury.
- Zone Fighter can use a variety of super-charged kicking attacks known as Meteor Kicks (流星キック).
- The July 1973 issue of TV Magazine specifies two other melee attacks seen in the show: Meteor Meteorite Press and Meteor Roundhouse Kick.
- The TV Magazine issue mentioned earlier gave Zone Fighter three more abilities: Meteor Chin Lock, Meteor Rotating Press, and Meteor Chop. It also specifies that his Zone Eyes can see Hamamatsu in Shizuoka Prefecture from Tokyo, his skin can withstand temperatures from -150 degrees to 1,000 degrees, and he can regulate the force that his Bayonet Boots exert, to lightly kick off of a building or leap 53 times the height of the Earth.
Movement[edit | edit source]
- Zone Fighter can achieve flight similar to Jet Jaguar, by raising his arms in a 'Y' shape and levitating off the ground.
- While in the sky, Zone Fighter can perform an attack known as Meteor Windmill (流星風車), where he loops in the air multiple times, building up speed, before ramming an opponent.
- Zone Fighter also uses a flight maneuver called Meteor Spin Counter (流星きりもみ返し), in which he does an upward loop and then spins downward. He used this when dodging one of King Ghidorah's Gravity Beams, during their first fight.
- In his human-sized form, Zone Fighter can perform an Astro Dash (アストロダッシュ), in which he flies through a broadcast from a TV set and arrives at the location displayed in his giant form.
- Zone Fighter is shown as possessing impeccable jumping ability. This is used in an ability known as Meteor Meteorite Collapse (流星隕石崩し), where Zone confuses the opponent by jumping in front of it, before leaping over them and punching them in the back.
- Zone Fighter can charge himself with energy to move at incredible speeds for a short burst in a technique named Meteor Jet (流星ジェット).
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- In Zone Fighter's human-sized form, he carries a special pistol weapon called the Maser Shot (メーサーショット), which is strong enough to dispatch Silver Garogas and even halt Terror-Beasts, as was shown against Mogranda.
- Zone Fighter is capable of unleashing barrages of missiles, called the Meteor Missiles (流星ミサイル), from summonable, wrist-bound gauntlets that are strong enough to destroy most Terror-Beasts. This technique is known as Meteor Missile Might (流星ミサイルマイト) and is one of Zone Fighter's strongest attacks, used as his finishing move quite often. He was also shown to be able to perform the attack while flying.
- After his first battle against Super Jikiro, Hikaru was surgically implanted with pieces of the Terror-Beast to upgrade his gauntlets to counter its Anti-Missile Might technology. The upgraded attack is dubbed Double Anti-Missile Might (流星ダブルアンチミサイルマイト).
- He and his siblings each possess a rocket-powered device called a Zobot (ゾボット, which they can use to send messages, call the Mighty Liner, and even use as a weapon in a pinch. Zobotto)
Energy attacks[edit | edit source]
- Zone Fighter can fire the Meteor Proton Beam (流星プロトンビーム) from the antennae on top of his head, although it uses much of his energy. The attack can destroy some Terror-Beasts in one shot, though Jellar was able to take several shots of the beam without suffering any ill effects.
- By rubbing an object rapidly against his body, Zone Fighter can use his Meteor Static Power (流星スタティックパワー) to charge it with deadly amounts of electricity.
- Zone Fighter can release a series of shocking energy waves in an attack known as Meteor Proton Cut (流星プロトンカット), which he used to thwart Dorola's fourth dimensional abilities.
- Zone Fighter can release a stream of arrow beams from his hands in an attack named Meteor Slice Chop (流星スライスチョップ). Although weak in power, they are capable of removing a Terror-Beast's limbs. They can be fired from one or both hands, or a larger variant that can decapitate a Terror-Beast.
- Zone Fighter can fire a golden energy arrow from each hand after charging energy from his shoulders. This is known as Meteor Zone Slice (流星ゾーンスライス).
Meteor Freezer[edit | edit source]
Zone Fighter can spray a freezing mist capable of killing weakened opponents, in a technique called Meteor Freezer (流星フリーザー).
Defensive capabilities[edit | edit source]
- When in his human-sized form, Zone Fighter can wrap his entire body in a red energy barrier for protection. This is known simply as Zone Barrier (ゾーンバリヤー).
- Zone Fighter can create a wall of energy to block varying degrees of projectile attacks, known as Meteor Zone Barrier (流星ゾーンバリヤー).
- Tracing the outline of a traditional shield, Zone Fighter can create a barrier that can catch and deflect a Terror-Beast's energy beams, known as Meteor Reflection Barrier (流星反射バリヤー).
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
When in giant form, Zone Fighter runs off of proton power, supplied to him via the Zone Marker (ゾーンマーカー) attached to his antenna. The belt buckle-like device attached to his waist, called the Zone Meter (ゾーンメーター), indicates how much power Zone Fighter has, and ranges from blue when at full power, to yellow when his power is draining, and finally to a deep red which indicates that he has only 110 seconds before he is forced back into human form.
This limitation can be overcome, however, and in a number of ways. The Zone Marker can be recharged by Zone Angel and Zone Junior using their own Meteor Proton Beams, or by a laser fired from their shared vehicle Smokey. The Smokey is also equipped with spare Zone Markers which can be fired directly onto Zone Fighter's head to replenish his energy, with this maneuver being dubbed a Zone Marker Change (ゾーンマーカーチェンジ). Additionally, in episode 5 of the series, Zone Great bestowed upon Zone Fighter the family's Proton Crystal, which he attached to his antenna in place of the Zone Marker to grant him with enough energy to lure King Ghidorah into space.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Zone Fighter/Gallery.
Filmography[edit | edit source]
Comics[edit | edit source]
- Zone Fighter's Desperate Situation (1973)
- Zone Angel's Critical Moment (1973)
- Zone Fighter (1973) - Adventure King
- Zone Fighter (1973) - TV Magazine
- Zone Fighter (1973) - Fun Kindergarten
- Zone Fighter (1973) - Fun Kindergarten, separate volume
- Zone Fighter (1973) - Akita Shoten
Video[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- An interview with Shunsuke Fujita revealed that at one point, Zone Fighter was considered for an appearance in the 2014 PlayStation 3 and 4 video game, Godzilla.
- Zone Fighter is Toho's second tallest tokusatsu hero, surpassed only by Megaloman.
- Zone Fighter's suit actor was Tatsumi Nikamoto, who also played the Red Garoga, in addition to Ultraman Leo from the show of the same name, the various Zensei Majin from Diamond Eye, Titanosaurus from Terror of Mechagodzilla, and countless other tokusatsu roles. The suit actor for Zone Fighter's giant form, Kinichi Kusumi, played numerous tokusatsu roles in the 1970's as well, including Godman, Redman, Mirrorman, various aliens and kaiju in Tsuburaya Productions' Ultra Series, and Anguirus and King Caesar in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for Zone Fighter. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 38 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.