What to Do With the Dead Kaiju? (2022)
|This article concerns an upcoming subject, and will be updated with new information as it arises.|
What to Do With the Dead Kaiju? (大怪獣のあとしまつ is an upcoming comedic Daikaijū no Atoshimatsu, lit. Giant Monster Cleanup) kaiju film produced by the "DAIKAIJU" Film Partners. It is to be tentatively released to Japanese theaters by Toei and Shochiku on February 4, 2022.
Description[edit | edit source]
A KAIJU (Monster), which terrorized humans to unprecedented levels, suddenly died one day. While the people rejoice and bask in relief, the giant corpse left behind begins to slowly rot and bloat. If it explodes, the nation will be destroyed...
Development[edit | edit source]
What to Do With the Dead Kaiju? was announced on February 26, 2020 along with its writer-director Satoshi Miki and stars Ryosuke Yamada and Tao Tsuchiya, with a projected release date sometime after 2020.
On October 27, the film's release was confirmed to be scheduled for 2022. A countdown timer launched on the film's official website on June 24, 2021, culminating in a press release on July 1. The film's key art and a teaser trailer were released, along with a brief description of the film's plot, the names of the two main characters, and the reveal of former Godzilla series modeler Shinichi Wakasa's involvement.
On October 11, the film's Twitter account began a 3-day counter, leading to another announcement on October 13. Three new cast members were revealed, along with a brief trailer and release date.
A 'special video' and new promotional image of Ryosuke Yamada in character as Arata Obinata were released on November 12.
Five character posters were released on December 6. The film's official site was updated around the same time, adding story, characters, cast, and staff sections.
Another special video was released on December 29, featuring new footage from the film intercut with comments from Ryosuke Yamada.
An "ultra premiere event" was held on January 9, 2022 in celebration of the film's completion, with guests Satoshi Miki, Ryosuke Yamada, Tao Tsuchiya, Joe Odagiri, Gaku Hamada, and Toshiyuki Nishida.
Production[edit | edit source]
Shooting on What to Do With the Dead Kaiju? began March 11, 2020, but was halted at the end of the month due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Shooting resumed close to a year later on January 30, 2021, and concluded on March 7.
Staff[edit | edit source]
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Satoshi Miki
- Written by Satoshi Miki
- Executive producers Shigeaki Yoshida, Teruhito Kimura
- Produced by Yasushi Suto, Hiroko Kokubo, Yuta Nakai, Umihiko Yamao
- Music by Koji Ueno
- Cinematography by Hiroyuki Takada
- Edited by Takashi Tominaga
- Production design by Toshihiro Isomi
- 1st assistant director Kimiyoshi Adachi
- Director of special effects Hiroshi Butsuda
- VFX supervisor Koichi Noguchi
- Kaiju modeler Shinichi Wakasa
Cast[edit | edit source]
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Ryosuke Yamada as Captain Arata Obinata, Special Forces soldier
- Tao Tsuchiya as Yukino Amane, secretary to the Minister of the Environment
- Gaku Hamada as Masahiko Ame, Executive Secretary to the Prime Minister
- Joe Odagiri as Ryo "Blues" Aoshima, bomb disposal expert
- Toshiyuki Nishida as Prime Minister Kan Nishiotachime
- Hidekazu Mashima as Seiichiro Shikishima, Special Forces commanding officer
- Eri Fuse as Sayuri Renbutsu, Minister of the Environment
- Seiji Rokkaku as Hiroto Sugihara, Chief Cabinet Secretary
- Toshihiro Yashiba as Manabu Takenaka, Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
- Yoshiki Arizono as Murasaki Kawanishi, Nippon Defense Force soldier
- SUMIRE as Yamaneko Kunugi, Special Forces sniper
- Kenzo Ryu as Tsukuru Michio, Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
- MEGUMI as Yuko Amaguri, Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare
- Ryo Iwamatsu as Bokudo Ioroi, Minister of Defense
- Yoji Tanaka as Hayato Nakajima, Chief of Staff, Joint Staff of the Nippon Defense Force
- Guin Poon Chaw as Yukino and Blues' mother
- Kyusaku Shimada as Wataru Nakagaichi, Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Takashi Sasano as Jiro Zaizen, Minister of Finance
- Rinko Kikuchi as Colonel Sen Masago of the Nippon Defense Force
- Fumi Nikaido as Sayoko, cafeteria server
- Shota Sometani as Denki Mukogawa, YouTuber
- Yutaka Matsushige as Noboru Yamikumo, factory owner
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Weapons, vehicles, and races[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Main article: What to Do With the Dead Kaiju?/Gallery.
Alternate titles[edit | edit source]
- Giant Monster Cleanup (literal translation)
- Dai Kaiju no Atoshimatsu (transliterated title)
Novelizations[edit | edit source]
- Main articles: What to Do With the Dead Kaiju? Movie Novelization, Novel: What to Do With the Dead Kaiju?.
Two novelizations of the film will be published by Kodansha. The first, authored by Momo Tachibana, was released on December 15, 2021. The second, written by Yui Tokiumi and aimed at children, will be published on January 27, 2022.
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trailers[edit | edit source]
Promotion[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The film's special announcement trailer initially used an Odogaron roar from the Monster Hunter franchise. This was later replaced with another sound effect.
- Rinko Kikuchi previously appeared in the American kaiju film Pacific Rim and its sequel Pacific Rim Uprising as the character Mako Mori.
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for What to Do With the Dead Kaiju?. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 17 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.