Legendary Pictures acquired the rights to produce an American Godzilla film after being approached by producer Brian Rogers, who was attempting to secure funding for Yoshimitsu Banno's new Godzilla project Godzilla 3D to the MAX during the current hiatus in Toho's Godzilla series. Legendary opted to produce its own feature-length American Godzilla film rather than Banno's short IMAX film, and negotiated with Toho to acquire the rights. Legendary released Godzilla in 2014, and the film's success led to the greenlighting of a sequel, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, with a targeted 2019 release date, as well as a crossover film with King Kong in 2020.
King Kong Series
After ending its partnership with Warner Bros., Legendary entered a distribution deal with Universal Pictures and began production of a new King Kong film titled Kong: Skull Island. However, Legendary was interested in the possibility of a remake of King Kong vs. Godzilla pitting their version of Godzilla against Kong. Legendary moved the project away from Universal and back to Warner Bros., who would continue to collaborate with them on the Godzilla series, and set it in the same universe as 2014's Godzilla to enable the crossover film Godzilla vs. Kong for 2020.
In addition to the films, Legendary and Warner Bros. have licensed additional MonsterVerse-related media, including books and video games.
- Godzilla: Awakening - Graphic novel prequel to Godzilla (2014)
- Godzilla: The Official Novelization - Novelization of Godzilla (2014)
- Godzilla: The Art of Destruction - Art book for Godzilla (2014)
- Godzilla: With Light and Sound! - Sticker book for Godzilla (2014), includes a Godzilla toy
- Skull Island: The Birth of Kong - Graphic novel prequel and sequel to Kong: Skull Island
- Kong: Skull Island - The Official Movie Novelization - Novelization of Kong: Skull Island
- The Art of Kong: Skull Island - Art book for Kong: Skull Island
- Godzilla: Aftershock - Graphic novel prequel to Godzilla: King of the Monsters
- Godzilla: Smash3
- Godzilla: Strike Zone
- Godzilla: Crisis Defense
- Godzilla (PlayStation 3 / PlayStation 4) - Includes the Legendary Godzilla as a playable character
- Godzilla: Kaiju Collection - Includes the Legendary Godzilla
- KONG VR: Destination Skull Island
- M.U.T.O. (Eight-Legged Female and Winged Male)
- Mother Longlegs
- Sker Buffalo
- Spore Mantis
- Mire Squid
- Death Jackal
- Magma Turtle
- Swamp Locust
Logo used in conjunction with Skull Island: Birth of Kong
- All of the films in Legendary's MonsterVerse are set to be distributed by Warner Bros. (except in Japan, where Toho will distribute the Godzilla films), despite Legendary's current distribution partner being Universal Pictures. This is because Toho's deal with Legendary to grant them the Godzilla license was made exclusively with it and Warner Bros.
- The MonsterVerse is the first series in which Godzilla does not deliberately cause destruction in the first film. While Godzilla was portrayed as the protagonistic monster in the first film of the Millennium series, Godzilla 2000: Millennium, he was still depicted causing destruction and attacking humans, while the Godzilla in Legendary Pictures' Godzilla is never seen intentionally causing destruction or threatening human characters, though he does cause minor destruction as a byproduct of his size.
- The MonsterVerse will feature the first meeting between Godzilla and King Kong since the Showa series.
- The MonsterVerse so far features seven actors who have also appeared in or will appear in films from the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Corey Hawkins, Brie Larson, and John C. Reilly.
- Despite being kaiju films also produced by Legendary Pictures, the 2013 film Pacific Rim and its upcoming sequel are not part of the MonsterVerse, as they are not part of the same continuity as Legendary's Godzilla and Kong films, and any future Pacific Rim films are set to be distributed by Universal instead of Warner Bros.
- So far, each film in the MonsterVerse has or will have a different director.