Kumi Mizuno (水野 久美, born Maya Igarashi Mizuno Kumi) (五十嵐 麻耶, is a Igarashi Maya)Japanese actress. Despite the large number of films she appeared in early on in her career, Mizuno is best known for her roles in Toho's 1960's kaiju films Matango, Frankenstein vs. Baragon, Invasion of Astro-Monster, Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, and The War of the Gargantuas. Her most iconic role is undoubtedly that of the Xilien agent Namikawa in Invasion of Astro-Monster. She became such a cult figure among kaiju fans that Toho brought her back in 2002 to play a role in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and again in 2004 for Godzilla Final Wars. Mizuno also appeared in Toho's 2009 stage adaptation of its 1960 science fiction film The Human Vapor.
Selected filmography[edit | edit source]
- The Three Treasures (1959) as Azami
- Gorath (1962) as Takiko Nomura
- Matango (1963) as Mami Sekiguchi
- Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965) as Sueko Togami
- Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965) as Namikawa
- Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966) as Dayo
- The War of the Gargantuas (1966) as Akemi Togawa
- The Killing Bottle (1967)
- Toho Unused Special Effects Complete Collection (1986) as Narrator
- Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002) as Prime Minister Machiko Tsuge
- Godzilla Final Wars (2004) as Earth Defense Force Commander Reiko Namikawa
Interviewee[edit | edit source]
- Godzilla's Leading Ladies (2020)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mizuno replaced Noriko Takahashi as Dayo in Ebirah, Horror of the Deep after she fell ill with appendicitis during production.
- Mizuno was part of the cast of a 2009 stage play based on The Human Vapor, produced by Toho.
[edit | edit source]
- 2002 interview by Tamao Urayama, Tomohiro Machiyama, and Patrick Macias
- 2012 interview by Brett Homenick
References[edit | edit source]
This is a list of references for Kumi Mizuno. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 1 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.