Fuminori Ohashi (大橋史典 Ōhashi Fuminori), born Yukitoshi Ohashi (大橋幸利 and acting under the aliases Ryunosuke Kabayama Ōhashi Yukitoshi) (樺山龍之介 and Sanshiro Sagara Kabayama Ryūnosuke) (相良三四郎, was a Sagara Sanshiro)Japanese actor, suit actor, sculptor, modelmaker, and director. He is perhaps best recognized for his portayal of Snowman in the 1955 film, Half Human.[note 1]
Ohashi began his career in 1935, working as an assistant director and cameraman for the now-defunct film company Shochiku Kamata. He soon transitioned to acting and became inspired by the 1933 King Kong film and its Japanese counterpart, modeling and portraying an anthropoid for the 1938 production, The King Kong That Appeared in Edo. He joined Toho as an assistant director sometime later, but continued to act under his pseudonym Sanshiro Sagara. He again worked as a modeler in 1948 for the Takara Productions film, Ninjutsu Jiraiya, pioneering the use of compound latex for monster suits in the process. In 1951, he established the Ohashi Crafts Company and traveled to the United States to join the art staff of Disneyland in Los Angeles, California, where he worked for two years. In 1954, Ohashi acted as a consultant for the production of the monster suit for Ishiro Honda's Godzilla, after a failed first attempt by Teizo Toshimitsu and his associates.[note 2] The following year, he helped to model the suit of the Snowman for Half Human, this time also portraying the character under his Sagara alias. From the late 50s through 60s, Ohashi continued to alternate between acting and modeling work, appearing in a handful of Akira Kurosawa's films and creating various suits for Daiei, Toei, P-Productions, and more. Notably, he was responsible for the monster Agon from the 1963-produced miniseries, Agon: Atomic Dragon, for which he also served as director. He traveled again to America to create masks for Planet of the Apes, and in 1977 worked on his final film, Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds. Ohashi passed away on September 20, 1989, at the age of 74.
- The King Kong That Appeared in Edo (1938)
- Godzilla (1954) - Modeling consultant [disputed]
- Half Human (1955)
- The Mysterians (1957)
- Kujira Gami (1962)
- Agon: Atomic Dragon (TV 1968)
- Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds (1977)
- The King Kong That Appeared in Edo (1938) as Anthropoid [as Ryunosuke Kabayama]
- Half Human (1955) as Snowman [as Sanshiro Sagara][note 1]
- Agon: Atomic Dragon (1968) - Director / director of special effects
- Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds (1977) - Wire operation
- Anthropoid (The King Kong That Appeared in Edo)
- Godzilla (Godzilla; consultant, disputed)
- Snowman (Half Human; head, used only in publicity stills)
- Moguera (The Mysterians)
- Kujira Gami (Kujira Gami)
- Agon (Agon: Atomic Dragon)
- Plesiosaurus, rhamphorhynchus (Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds)
Fuminori Ohashi modeling the plesiosaurus and rhamphorhynchus for Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds
- Officially, Snowman was portrayed by an actor named Sanshiro Sagara, a known pseudonym of Ohashi. However, there are conflicting reports as to whether this Sagara was a different person entirely, as Toho claimed that Sagara was chosen from a nationwide contest to portray the creature.
- In spite of claims of Ohashi having aided in the process, modeler Eizo Kaimai and art staff member Shinji Hiruma have both denied his involvement, claiming that he was still pursuing acting during this time.
Showing 0 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.
<comments voting="Plus" />